capture one pro 7 on a new macbook air?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

capture one pro 7 on a new macbook air?

Postby NNN634626670447353712 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Im currently running Capture one pro 7 on an imac 10.7.5 . Two questions.
1) can I install my copy free on my new macbook air?
2) more importantly,will capture one pro 7 run on the Yosemite OS on the macbook air?

Thanks
NNN634626670447353712

Re: capture one pro 7 on a new macbook air?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi,

You have 2 activations on a standard license. Please note that CO7 is not supported on Yosemite. It might run, but you are out of luck if it does not. CO8 has been adapted for Yosemite and is fully supported. But CO8 does not run on OS X 10.7.x. So what are your options?

Say you upgrade to CO8 for your new MacBook Air. Your CO7 key will become obsolete after the upgrade (it is a trade-in for the reduced price) but you can activate CO7 on your old machine with the CO8 key. Not an ideal situation as CO8 settings are not backwards compatible to CO7, so you run into problems when exchanging images.
You can upgrade OS X on your older machine to OS X 10.9 or 10.10 to be compatible with CO8 and install CO8 on the older machine as well.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby MikeFromMesa » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:33 pm

> Please note that CO7 is not supported on Yosemite. It might run, but you are out of luck if it does not.
That is interesting as I did not know that.

I have been running CO7 on my MBP running Yosemite since I upgraded to Yosemite a couple of months ago. I have not had any problems but, I guess, it is the luck of the draw, so to speak.

> Your CO7 key will become obsolete after the upgrade (it is a trade-in for the reduced price) but you can activate CO7 on your old machine with the CO8 key.
I did not know that either. I guess it pays to read the license.

I am currently running my (licensed) version of CO 7 on my MBP running Yosemite and I also have the trial for CO 8 loaded on the system. They do not play well together as I cannot run both at the same time (I know I don't have any need to run them both at the same time but it did come up when testing CO8).

So, based on what you say, the two copies you are allowed to run can either be two copies of the latest version or one copy of the latest and one copy of a previous version, all using the same SN. I guess that means that upgrading invalidates the previous SN. Again, interesting to know. Thanks for making that clear as I did not know. Upgrade policies seem to change from company to company.

> Not an ideal situation as CO8 settings are not backwards compatible to CO7, so you run into problems when exchanging images.
But, I assume, they are forwardly compatible to CO8?
MikeFromMesa

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:25 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:...
> Not an ideal situation as CO8 settings are not backwards compatible to CO7, so you run into problems when exchanging images.
But, I assume, they are forwardly compatible to CO8?

Yes, that is correct. Your other conclusions in your last post are correct too.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Grant Kernan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:56 pm

I am running CO7 on an older iMac OS 10.6.8 and CO8 on a Macbook air OS 10.9.5 so I am in a similar boat...

I am considering removing the optical drive from the I Mac and installing a SSD in its place so that I can effectively install a partition to run both 10.6.8 and 10.9.5 on the old machine. That way I will get a little more life out of the iMac and I can run CO8 on both.

It is a pain sharing CO8 files with CO7...The only way it works is to strip all the capture One data from my NEF files and start over...That is okay because of the nature of my work...I copy art work for a living. And once my tiffs are created the Raw files are only an archive.
Grant Kernan

Return to Capture One 7.x Software