Changing storage location for C1 settings files

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Changing storage location for C1 settings files

Postby tnfoto » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:57 pm

I'd like to be able to choose where C1 stores the settings files. It seems the default in Windows is for the Capture One folder (with the cache & settings subfolders) goes to on the C drive but, in earlier versions, was able to choose where they go and I like them to be in the same folder with the original RAW files. This has always seemed the most logical to me for backing up and for being able to move from laptop to desktop or when the raw folder is on an external drive that may be connected up to a different machine later on.
Oddly, I was able to do this on C16 but I can't manage to find the option on that version now either.
tnfoto

Re: Changing storage location for C1 settings files

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:11 am

Hi,

When you run CO7 with a session, the setting files will be stored in a subfolder of the image files, just like in CO6. There is no setting in the program that you can control to alter this, neither was there one in CO6.

However, perhaps you now work with a catalog. This is new in CO7. A catalog stores the settings in a central location: the catalog database. You can move a catalog to another location then the default on the C: drive.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Changing storage location for C1 settings files

Postby Drew » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:31 am

Paul is right on the Money here.

The central Cache for Windows was available in Capture One 3, but not since. This was, in a way, a Catalog before there was cataloging. As such, with Capture One 7 and onward, you can have a central "cache" in a Catalog and simply reference your files from their current location.
The only disadvantage of this workflow over what was available in Capture One 3, is that you will now need to "import" files to associate them to the Catalog.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software