Will 7.2.4 work in Yosemite?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Will 7.2.4 work in Yosemite?

Postby NNN635003982619074238 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 am

I am waiting to upgrade to Yosemite with my production machine but want to know if C1 7.2.4 or 8 is working reliably with Yosemite. C1 with 10.9.5 was already a balancing act and I don't want to take my chances.

Will 7.2.4 ever be upgraded for full Yosemite compatability or is it End-of-life?
NNN635003982619074238

Re: Will 7.2.4 work in Yosemite?

Postby Drew » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:20 am

Will 7 be upgraded for Yosemite?
Not sure, but I don't think so.... not at least in the immediate future.

Capture One 8 has been developed with Yosemite in mind since day 1 so that is where our focus is.

If, in a few months, there is enough demand we MAY look into Capture One 7 for Yosemite but in reality it just makes sense to move to Capture One 8 if you're planning on updating to Yosemite.

And as always, from a tech perspective, my suggestion would not be to update to Yosemite for a good while until at least the second service update.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby alececco » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:33 am

Drew you must be jocking right? On the 8Co forum you are berating people that upgraded to Yosemite because it is not supported yet and here you are stating CO8 was designed with Yosemite in mind? Are you serious? Do you think we are children or professionals that paired good money for a buggy product? How can you make a statement like that?
Alessandro
alececco

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:11 am

alececco wrote:Drew you must be jocking right? On the 8Co forum you are berating people that upgraded to Yosemite because it is not supported yet and here you are stating CO8 was designed with Yosemite in mind? Are you serious? Do you think we are children or professionals that paired good money for a buggy product? How can you make a statement like that?
Alessandro

Alessandro

Did you miss the last sentence?

You are conflating two issues, in my opinion.

The question was about supporting V7 on Yosemite. The answer is that it makes more sense to go with V8 for several reasons BUT since there are usually some challenges with new releases of software - both application and operating systems and development tools - waiting a short while may make sense if you cannot be comfortable taking any risk by compromising on stability for advanced technology.

Drew is specifically NOT saying that at this time a move to V8 from V7 will solve any and all problems instantly (though for many user it might well do so) - just that with the future in mind V8 certainly has a planned future and V7 most likely does not.

As far as development is concerned in most cases it is possible to package up a product with everything you need it to have and install it in "Timewarp" mode so that it can ignore anything newly introduced by updates. That's fine unless people want to use new facilities. Sometimes Timewarp not longer works and the user has to decide - as we see on forums everywhere - whether to completely upgrade or to stay where they are if they can. If you move, or are forced to move by needs and circumstances, you run the risk of greater immediate perceived instability (etc.) but maybe gain from new features, functions and performance. That's just how it is although some users seem to experience far more problems than most. That must be twice as frustrating if one has problems but can clearly see that others do not.

My thoughts for what they are worth.

Grant
SFA

Postby alececco » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:34 pm

Perhaps we understand two different English languages..... because that is not what Drew said. Maybe it got lost in translation.....
alececco

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software