Why are my photos locked?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Why are my photos locked?

Postby MikeFromMesa » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:06 pm

I am using CO Pro 7 (7.2.3) on my Mac. Recently I began to worry about the amount of space available on my SSD (it is only 512 GB) and, since I process a lot of photos from vacations, I bought one of those Transcend 128 GB sd cards that work as a memory expander. and placed the images that need processing on it Processed images are moved off my computer to external USB drives (two of them for backup) and onto a special computer used for viewing. The idea was to remove all processed and unprocessed images from my SSD so as to provide space for other software and data.

The card works well and I have not had any problem with any of my other software but I have noticed that I can no longer edit those images with CO when they are on the sd card.

Today is a perfect example. I started CO, browsed to a folder containing some (in this case) jpgs from my wife's camera and tried to edit them. Each image has a "no edit" icon (a pencil with a line through it) in the filmstrip and all of the controls are greyed out. I can do nothing. The flash memory the images are stored on does not have a lock control and I just finished editing some other images on the same flash memory using Dxo OP and Photoshop Elements without any issue. The card is not locked but the images are. I am working without a session but that is because I don't want to import my images onto the SSD. They are on the flash memory because I don't want to move them to the SSD.

Can anyone tell me why my images are locked? Or what to do about it other than importing them onto my SSD?

Thanks.
MikeFromMesa

Re: Why are my photos locked?

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:20 pm

A back to very basics first question - the question that is always skipped in these situations ...

Have you perchance disabled jpg editing?

Yep, it seems too obvious perhaps but ....

Grant
SFA

Postby MikeFromMesa » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 pm

SFA wrote:A back to very basics first question - the question that is always skipped in these situations ...
Have you perchance disabled jpg editing?

Yep, it seems too obvious perhaps but ....
Grant

Thanks for the post but yes, I have Enable JPEG Editing checked. In fact I have no problem when those images are on the SSD. Only when they are on the flash memory.
MikeFromMesa

Postby SFA » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:18 am

OK, so it doesn't matter if the files are jpg or RAW or whatever C1 can see then on the card but does not allow editing?

It sounds like C1 is treating the card as read only. To edit it would need to be able to write to the card. Does it have operating system permissions set to allow that?

I'm not a Mac person so may not be able to help further. What I can tell you is that I can fully access and edit files on SD and CF cards on my Windows system using integrated or external devices but C1 does need to create a local folder and files on the card when it is working that way. (I am assuming sessions - I have no idea how Catalogues would function in that situation.)

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby MikeFromMesa » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:58 am

SFA wrote:OK, so it doesn't matter if the files are jpg or RAW or whatever C1 can see then on the card but does not allow editing?

It sounds like C1 is treating the card as read only. To edit it would need to be able to write to the card. Does it have operating system permissions set to allow that?

Grant

Yes, it is rather odd. There is no lock/unlock control on the card and I can easily edit photos on the card, including writing new folder and files, with every other photo editor I have. In fact I generally process all of my raw files through Dxo Optics Pro and create dng files (to automatically correct any lens distortion and lens softness) and then process the dng files and the output dng files from OP are written to the flash memory in a new folder. So there is no problem writing to the flash memory.

And, of course, I can process the images if I import them on the SSD. Perhaps that is what I have to do.
MikeFromMesa

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 pm

Capture One is treating flash memory cards and USB sticks as read-only. That is by design. In all my classroom trainings where I give the students a memory stick with image files, sessions and catalogs for the training, I encourage (read: force) them to copy it to the computer's disk first and remove the stick. If I don't, a few attendees will complain that the images are not editable.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:47 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Capture One is treating flash memory cards and USB sticks as read-only. That is by design. In all my classroom trainings where I give the students a memory stick with image files, sessions and catalogs for the training, I encourage (read: force) them to copy it to the computer's disk first and remove the stick. If I don't, a few attendees will complain that the images are not editable.

Paul,

Is this a Mac thing?

I don't recall having any problems using Windows. (Except forgetting that I was eagerly working on the files before I had imported them to a session ... :oops: )
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:15 pm

SFA wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:Capture One is treating flash memory cards and USB sticks as read-only. That is by design. In all my classroom trainings where I give the students a memory stick with image files, sessions and catalogs for the training, I encourage (read: force) them to copy it to the computer's disk first and remove the stick. If I don't, a few attendees will complain that the images are not editable.

Paul,

Is this a Mac thing?

I don't recall having any problems using Windows. (Except forgetting that I was eagerly working on the files before I had imported them to a session ... :oops: )

I have to correct myself. I just tried with a few cards and card readers but I could not reproduce the read-only behaviour.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Pavel » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Do you format the card in the Mac or in the camera for taking pictures directly on. I tried editing photos shot on the card directly and had the same results as you, where no adjustments were allowed. If however I format the card as journaled HPFS, shoot pictures with another card, export them to the jump drive - no problem.
Pavel

Return to Capture One 7.x Software