Nikon D810 support

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Keith Reeder » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:27 pm

I suspect that there's a beta tester out there - the one that made this beta publicly available - who's about to lose his beta tester status...

I can't remember the last time - or even if - Phase One has released a public beta, but it's obvious enough that this wasn't intended to be one.
Keith Reeder
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Blyth, NE England

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Gregory » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Ulf made it sound like you just need to email support to get the beta. Doesn't seem like it's top secret. They probably just want you to get it from them so they can do all the disclaimers explaining that it's a beta and how to beta test it productively (i.e. give you the procedure to report bugs).
Gregory
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:18 am

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby SFA » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:03 pm

Gregory wrote:Ulf made it sound like you just need to email support to get the beta. Doesn't seem like it's top secret. They probably just want you to get it from them so they can do all the disclaimers explaining that it's a beta and how to beta test it productively (i.e. give you the procedure to report bugs).


In terms of an update - especially one that, presumably, is timed to accommodate the work required for enabling what is clearly an important product release from Nikon - I think making a beta available probably makes sense. However it makes less sense if the people who need to adopt it (as opposed to just wishing to adopt it for some reason) are correctly briefed on possible issues and limitations and how and where to provide feedback.

I would imagine that is why Ulf and co. would prefer to have people email in their requests for access - so they know who is using the code, can indicate how the testers can be most effective in supplying feedback and have a way to contact them directly should the need arise.

If it were my project to provide the update I would be seeking not just to provide the extended functionality and any fixes that might be expected but to ensure that the package as released is as complete as possible. In that respect, for the Nikon 810, that would require both the camera profile and the tethering functionality simply because to release one without the other would be sure to lead to complaints from those who feel personally aggrieved at the service provided.

The Nikon SDK has been released quite recently which may not be helpful for those mainly interested in the camera profile rather than its tethering capabilities.

Making a decision about how to balance such a staggered release without becoming trapped in a resource sapping discussion about the completeness (and then the implied quality issues) of what has been made available cannot be easy.



Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby CraigBeckta » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 pm

It seems to be working better today for some reason.
CraigBeckta
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Keith Reeder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm just thinking in terms of the fact that Phase One doesn't do "public" betas, Grant.

There's nothing so special or challenging about the D810, or support for it (it's just another camera with a Bayer array), that would make a public beta obviously necessary.
Keith Reeder
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Blyth, NE England

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby SFA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:07 am

Keith Reeder wrote:I'm just thinking in terms of the fact that Phase One doesn't do "public" betas, Grant.

There's nothing so special or challenging about the D810, or support for it (it's just another camera with a Bayer array), that would make a public beta obviously necessary.


Yes Keith, I take your point. But I suppose when you get a situation like the D810 and a less than timely release of the SDK in terms of how one might want to present an acceptable completely working product to the mass of users there may be compromises that have to be considered.


(Meanwhile I am wondering when we will see the first demands for support for the new cameras announced at Photokina. ;) )

Do I remember correctly that I read that Sony don't do tethering as such? That must make for easier decisions form a development point of view. I could see why they might be a popular firm to work with from that and a few other perspectives.




Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Keith Reeder » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 am

Sony doesn't provide an SDK - but I believe that they have "in-house" software which provides tethering, and I recall at least one third-party solution, where someone has apparently figured out how to make Sony cameras and computers talk to each other without an SDK.
Keith Reeder
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Blyth, NE England

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:Sony doesn't provide an SDK - but I believe that they have "in-house" software which provides tethering, and I recall at least one third-party solution, where someone has apparently figured out how to make Sony cameras and computers talk to each other without an SDK.


It seems that Phase have also figured something out in V8 ... :wink:
SFA
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:28 pm

Given the apparent new business relationship which has emerged between Sony and Phase One, I suspect that Sony has furnished some code for Phase One to incorporate.
Keith Reeder
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Blyth, NE England

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby SFA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:31 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:Given the apparent new business relationship which has emerged between Sony and Phase One, I suspect that Sony has furnished some code for Phase One to incorporate.


That would seem to be a logical conclusion for a number of reasons. Quite positive reasons too.


Grant
SFA
 
Posts: 7205
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Ulf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:28 am

Sony has furnished some code for Phase One to incorporate.


Nope, we have written some beautiful code.
Tether a Sony and a Nikon (Nikon SDK) side by side and be amazed.
Ulf
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Copenhagen Denmark

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Ulf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:38 pm

Capture One 7.2.4 is available now with full Nikon D810 support
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Ma ... veMac.aspx
Ulf
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Copenhagen Denmark

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby NN635158249760931984UL » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Ulf wrote:Capture One 7.2.4 is available now with full Nikon D810 support
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Ma ... veMac.aspx


Sorry, cannot find it there.
NN635158249760931984UL
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby Ulf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 am

Sure you can :-)
Ulf
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:52 pm
Location: Copenhagen Denmark

Re: Nikon D810 support

Postby NNN635418237777778438 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi,

I just downloaded 7.2.4 and installed over my older version of CO7. It was not able to detect my D810. Files does not go in and live view does not work.

Am I missing something?
NNN635418237777778438
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests