file size problem

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

file size problem

Postby parkn123 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:22 am

Hi tech guys,

I recently want to handle a 3.6 Gb file in C1 , but fail. C1 still cannot handle large file more than 2 Gb ???

Thanks in advance.
parkn123

Re: file size problem

Postby ronaldnztan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi "Parkn123,"

Why on earth are you using C1PRO to handle that huge file?! First and foremost, if you're trying to move homes, you'd rent a large enough truck to haul. You'd be out of your mind to use your sedan. It's impractical and not the way to go. Same with software.

It is true that C1PRO can "edit" and "handle" TIFF files of a certain size. Remember that C1PRO was CODED and its PRIMARY DIRECTIVE is RAW!!!

Getting back to my analogy, it's true that you could move things around; however it you can't lift the heavy stuff, you'd have to hire big muscles to carry the heavy-lifting. That "heavy lifting" is a PIXEL-EDITING software. Photoshop Express is more suffice that needs of a "general" photographer, unless you need the full Photoshop's Image Apply and Channel Calculations.

Please think about that I said and rethink on your workflow.

Ronald
ronaldnztan

Postby parkn123 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:55 am

Hi Ronald,

Understanding what you are talking. But as user's thinking, such quality software need to widthen its usage , I changed to use C1 from PS since 2 years ago for its high quality & its improvement should not stop . It is advised to make further improvement.

Regards.
parkn123

Postby ronaldnztan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:58 am

I agree that a certain software (C1PRO) should "widthen" [sic] its usage; however, certainly NOT at the expense of its prime directive—RAW converting. You already agree and have experiences its exceptional RAW image quality. I'm assuming you have access to a pixel editing software. Use those programs for the heavy lifting (in my analogy example). You can't expect C1PRO to be the RAW and be a pixel-editing software. It is a recipe for disaster.

I agree with you. Several threads ago, I brought up the topic of C1PRO7 not being able to see my fully-layered TIFF files. I mentioned that if LR is able to see my files, so should C1PRO. I then realized that the performance problem were NOT worth it. If I wanted to see or find my large, similar to your file sizes, I use MediaPro, Bridege, or PS itself. I don't let C1PRO to see any of my TIFFs and only RAWS and DNGS are allowed to be with C1PRO.

I know you probably don't like reading, but it is what it is. Try to find a viable solution for you. I made peace with mine and I'm glad I did.

parkn123 wrote:Hi Ronald,

Understanding what you are talking. But as user's thinking, such quality software need to widthen its usage , I changed to use C1 from PS since 2 years ago for its high quality & its improvement should not stop . It is advised to make further improvement.

Regards.
ronaldnztan

Postby parkn123 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:55 am

Since I am using C1 ver. 6 for DSLR & after using DB & upgraded to 7.2.3 now, I have no complained , as the processing images of C1 really excellent, I found no other softwares can replace it. Recently I play stitch photos for panorama , the file size is naturally becomes bigger , in nowadays demanding world, if we stop making improvement , it is easily being replaced . Also, in terms of easy usage, C1 also is the rules of thumb .
parkn123

Postby Drew » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Its important to remember that Capture One is first and foremost a RAW Conversion Software.
So, RAW files are the main focus and currently the largest RAW file is somewhere between 70-90MB.

A Linear File of that size is simply beyond the operational parameters of the software. If you were able to use such a large file, performance would be prohibitive.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software