Simple (stupid?) cropping question

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Simple (stupid?) cropping question

Postby johnontheroad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Almost embarrassed to ask, but how do you set the crop tool? Here is my problem:

I want to set a specific crop size, in this case, to match the iPad Retina screen. So I add a crop and call it "iPad Retina" and set the ratio for 2048 X 1536. I load a variant of the image I want to crop, select crop and the iPad Retina constraint, and the image size is.... 1600 X 1200. I try to change the image size, but it always reverts to 1600 X 1200. Even if I try Unconstrained and manually set the ratio, screen goes back to 1600 X 1200.

So I tried other ratios, some extreme, some not, and the crop image always resorts to 1600 X 1200. Read the Help section of the manual, no help there. Frustration is setting in, so thought I would look here for help. What am I doing wrong? Running on a MacBook Pro, latest version hardware and CO.

== John
johnontheroad

Re: Simple (stupid?) cropping question

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Good question. A lot of users confuse crop and size.

The crop tool only knows about ratios, not size. Size can be set in the Process Recipe. Check the recipe selected and you may find a size indication under Scale.

If you like to link crop ratio and size, set the size in the Process Recipe and use Crop Ratio > Output and magic will happen.
Last edited by Paul_Steunebrink on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Simple (stupid?) cropping question

Postby johnontheroad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Aha, now that you tell me it makes perfect sense. I will set up a process recipe for iPad Retina and I'm sure that will fix it for me. Thanks!
johnontheroad

Return to Capture One 7.x Software