Improve performance

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Improve performance

Postby spacecat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 am

Hi,

Just bought the pro version and noticed C1 to be less responsive than LR5 and Aperture, the image quality I get from my fuji files are great but it's just too slow. Can anyone give some tips to improve the speed?

Here's what I've done so far:
- preview size reduced to low 640px
- autosync sidecar xmp to none
- removed some tabs I don't need

Specs :
Macbook pro 2011, 2.3ghz core i5
Memory 8gig
Files are kept in a network storage (Apple airport 2terabyte)
spacecat

Re: Improve performance

Postby ThomKlim » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:05 pm

Indeed, the overall performance of C1 for the Mac is poor compared to Aperture. Just hope, that the guys at PhaseOne get the message.
ThomKlim

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:37 pm

If you've got a performance problem, raise a support case.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby spacecat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:33 am

Especially the brushes when compared to LR, the brushing just lags too much. Maybe it has something to do with the fuji files? I understand the auto-mask brush is disabled for the format but if it lags the software too much then maybe that should be resolved soon.

@raise support case: well, my intention for this thread is to ask for advice on what else I can do to optimize my system besides hardware upgrades. I doubt a support case can be resolved this easily with a generic performance issue of c1.
spacecat

Postby SFA » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 am

NNN635406136646578800 wrote:Indeed, the overall performance of C1 for the Mac is poor compared to Aperture. Just hope, that the guys at PhaseOne get the message.

They will if you raise a support case and advise about the configuration of your machine.

(Or you could change to a PC with a recent i7 processor and probably find a good improvement, especially if you include a quality and recommended Graphics Card that works well with OpenCL. Or a higher spec Mac perhaps - there was a post in the last day or so from someone who bought a new top end Mac and seems delighted with the performance.)
SFA

Postby SFA » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 am

spacecat wrote:Especially the brushes when compared to LR, the brushing just lags too much. Maybe it has something to do with the fuji files? I understand the auto-mask brush is disabled for the format but if it lags the software too much then maybe that should be resolved soon.

@raise support case: well, my intention for this thread is to ask for advice on what else I can do to optimize my system besides hardware upgrades. I doubt a support case can be resolved this easily with a generic performance issue of c1.

Generically, across all computers, the more power and resource the better. That you are running at the bleeding edge of the technology by opting for a Fuji so it might take a while for things to settle in.

The i5 is not necessarily optimal for a system that needs some power and nor is the potential variability of running on a network drive if you are looking for maximum full time performance. But if you are talking brushes I would guess that optimisation requires a few new tools to be developed to work more effectively with the niche processor output.

In the mean time if anyone has the breadth of information about performance and what things most affect it amongst all of the variables in the systems running C1 for which users have asked for performance advice ... it would have to be the Capture One team or, perhaps, one or two of the Phase dealers. C1 support will likely be able to look at some of the information that can be obtained from your system and suggest areas that you would find useful to adjust. I would be surprised if users on the forum had the same level of information available to them across the wide spectrum of machine specification in the field.

Which is why the Support Case route was suggested.
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 am

spacecat wrote:Hi,

Just bought the pro version and noticed C1 to be less responsive than LR5 and Aperture, the image quality I get from my fuji files are great but it's just too slow. Can anyone give some tips to improve the speed?

Here's what I've done so far:
- preview size reduced to low 640px
- autosync sidecar xmp to none
- removed some tabs I don't need

Specs :
Macbook pro 2011, 2.3ghz core i5
Memory 8gig
Files are kept in a network storage (Apple airport 2terabyte)

Hi,

There are a few things I can say about your setup based upon what you have shared so far.

The MacBook Pro is probably a dual core machine, which will not make CO7 fly, but it works. Second, your preview setting is set way to low, bringing the machine down to its knees. Third, using Apple NAS is very slow in my book, maybe yours is faster then mine, I hope. Main question is whether you run sessions or catalog with the NAS.

I suggest to set your preview size to your monitor pixel dimensions, select all images and regenerate previews. Next, store images on NAS only with catalog. If you run sessions, try whether locally storing improves performance. Make sure you have a wired gigabit Ethernet connection to the NAS, do not use WiFi, it is way to slow. You might need to optimize your disk to optimize performance.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby spacecat » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:30 am

I believe I am using catalogs for my network files, for local files I use sessions.

@preview: what do you mean by this? won't a larger preview setting take more processing power to generate? I'm not sure how this works so I set the lowest setting so it generates faster (at least that's what I thought it was doing)

My openCL btw is set to none, should I set this to auto?
spacecat

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:34 pm

spacecat wrote:...
@preview: what do you mean by this? won't a larger preview setting take more processing power to generate? I'm not sure how this works so I set the lowest setting so it generates faster (at least that's what I thought it was doing)

The concept of the preview is that CO7 generates them once (which takes time), stores the preview on disk once (takes time and space), and uses them as often as you view an image (saves time).

Preview generation means CO7 reads the entire raw file, and makes a smaller file for viewing on screen. You will benefit immensely performance wise if the preview is at least as large as your monitor. Otherwise, CO7 has to read your raw file again and again for every move you make. This will happen if the saved preview is small, like you did with 640 px.
There is hardly any effect of large/small preview files regarding generation. But that is not the point. That is a one-time only action, unless you set it to a small size.

The only disadvantage of a large preview, is that it takes more space on disk, so do not set it larger then necessary.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:35 pm

spacecat wrote:...
My openCL btw is set to none, should I set this to auto?

Yes, you can safely do that. If you GPU is supported, it will be used. When you encounter stability issues, set it to None, for display, processing or both, depending of any issues you experience.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby FredBGG » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Don't use catalogs.... too buggy.

Keep your sessions small. Capture One performance really goes down as soon as you have too many images.

Another solution is to use Lightroom as your general DAM tool. Use it for cataloging images, making selections, keeping your archive, direct compatibility with photoshop (including smart RAW objects). Then you can use a very handy tool called open directly

http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/open-directly/

This Lightroom plug-in lets you choose images in lightroom and open them directly (using original RAW file) in Capture One.

It is a great tool. I use it to "directly open" some files in Capture One and some files in Nikon Capture NX.

IT's a great tool. You get the advantage of using lightroom as a digital asset management tool with all it's powerful options (like extending lightroom to your cloud and tablet), but also have the advantage of directly opening files you want to process in other applications when ever you need to. This is particularly useful for working with Capture One.
You get to use the stronger aspects of Capture One while avoiding it's problems and limitations in digital asset management and performance limitations with many images.
FredBGG

Postby Drew » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:52 pm

FredBGG wrote:Don't use catalogs.... too buggy.

Some may perceive this to be the case but it is simply not true.

FredBGG wrote:Keep your sessions small. Capture One performance really goes down as soon as you have too many images.

This is not a Hard and Fast rule. Performance, especially in a Session, depends on your hardware and workflow, not specifically the size.

Regarding the OP's concerns directly...
spacecat wrote:- preview size reduced to low 640px

- This may not be advisable as a preview that is too small will require a constant redraw to render on your monitor, thus creating poor performance. This is what Paul pointed out.

spacecat wrote:- autosync sidecar xmp to none

- This has nearly zero effect on performance.

spacecat wrote:- removed some tabs I don't need

- Tools only "exist" when they are in use. Removing them is the same as never accessing them on the screen so again, this does not necessarily effect performance.

spacecat wrote:Macbook pro 2011, 2.3ghz core i5 Memory 8gig

Depending on the File type and size, this machine would be considered at the minimum of suggested systems (Fuji files are difficult as they require more work to read the bayer pattern)

spacecat wrote:Files are kept in a network storage (Apple airport 2terabyte)

- Right here is likely the root of your performance drain.
Move a large folder of your images to the Local Drive of the system and access it in Capture One.
If you're using a Session, considering the specs of your machine I would keep the folder contents below 500 Images.
If you're using a Catalog, performance will be slower up front on import as the Previews but with this machine performance overall will be better (using a Referenced Catalog with the files Local) when compared to a Session.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby spacecat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:01 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think the preview change to 1280 made the most noticeable difference. I can move around better now : )
spacecat

Postby mli20 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:35 am

Drew wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the catalogs issue I reported in december 2013 resolved. Oh wait, that's not quite correct: Tech support informed me that they were unable to resolve the issue. Not too buggy..?
mli20

Postby Drew » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:17 am

mli20 wrote:
Drew wrote:

I'm still waiting to see the catalogs issue I reported in december 2013 resolved. Oh wait, that's not quite correct: Tech support informed me that they were unable to resolve the issue. Not too buggy..?

1. This does not address the OP's concern.
2. This is not Helpful.
3. Your case was in reference to an earlier version that has since been resolved in following updates.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Next

Return to Capture One 7.x Software