Nikon D810 SDK

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: Nikon D810 SDK

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Gregory wrote:DxO didn't need the SDK. Adobe didn't need the SDK. And it doesn't appear that Phase One needs the SDK since you already support it in a beta that was released before the SDK was available.

Because "support" means not only camera support but tethering support: the SDK is necessary for tethering, and if Phase One simply released a version of Capture One that only supported the NEFs, all we'd see is an unending torrent of complaints about lack of tethering support - which is exactly what happened on the Lightroom forum.

And DxO doesn't provide tethering anyway.

I don't blame Phase One one little bit for wanting the whole job - Raw support and tethering support - done in one go...
Keith Reeder

Postby Gregory » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:54 pm

Jimmy D Uptain wrote:
Gregory wrote:The beta supports the D810 so how are you saying you are just barely going to look at D810 support now that the SDK is out? DxO didn't need the SDK. Adobe didn't need the SDK. And it doesn't appear that Phase One needs the SDK since you already support it in a beta that was released before the SDK was available.

I normally don't respond to these type of posts, but I'm gonna make an exception.
There is a reason why folks tend to use C1 vs LR or DXO. Its about the look that C1 gives.
If it takes 'em a little longer to get the recipe right, then so be it.

I have a good feeling that Nikon is harder to deal with in general. Look how long it took Profoto to get Nikon TTL in their air remote. Same goes for Pocket Wizard.

Do ya want it fast or right?

Of course I want it right. The first version of Adobe's profiles for the D810 were terrible (posterization issues). They fixed them a few days later and look quite good now. DxO looks very very good as well.

Keith Reeder wrote:
Gregory wrote:DxO didn't need the SDK. Adobe didn't need the SDK. And it doesn't appear that Phase One needs the SDK since you already support it in a beta that was released before the SDK was available.

Because "support" means not only camera support but tethering support: the SDK is necessary for tethering, and if Phase One simply released a version of Capture One that only supported the NEFs, all we'd see is an unending torrent of complaints about lack of tethering support - which is exactly what happened on the Lightroom forum.

And DxO doesn't provide tethering anyway.

I don't blame Phase One one little bit for wanting the whole job - Raw support and tethering support - done in one go...

That's the answer I was looking for. The SDK is used for tethering only? It sounded like Drew was saying that they'll finally take a look at suport now that the SDK is out. Since there's a beta already out with profiles built for the D810 that confused me. How much is the SDK used for profiles? Or is it only used for tethering?
Gregory

Postby Drew » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:32 pm

SDK is for camera communication.
File Support is built independent of SDK.

The SDK is out now, so we can begin finalising support for a release. Thank you for your patience.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby photohq » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:08 am

Keith Reeder wrote:And it would still take as long as it takes. The process itself takes time, and that won't change simply because Phase One chooses a different delivery mechanism.

What does that even mean? Why would not separating RAW file support from version upgrades simplify and speed up the delivery of such file support?

Keith Reeder wrote:There are also a slew of logistical and resourcing reasons why this idea is a non-starter, but they should be obvious enough not to go into here.

I'd like you to go there, please enlighten me.
photohq

Postby Drew » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:37 am

.... well this doesn't look like it's going in a positive direction :|

Support is coming soon. Thank you all for your patience on the matter.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software