temporary reset adjustments on mac

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Re: temporary reset adjustments on mac

Postby SFA » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:45 am

meanwhile wrote:I would love a keyboard shortcut to temporarily show the image as imported. It's one of the things I miss from Aperture (you press M and it displays the image as imported, M again back to current). I know you can reset everything and then undo, but that's a kludge.

Often discussed.

I also use another application that has a "show Original" feature and sometimes use it. However C1 offers more with minimal additional effort.

One approach is to retain a an unmodified variant of the original image. This then gives you the option to display both side by side in the viewing window OR, by positioning them side by side in the browser, you can toggle between them using the arrow keys giving you the same sort of effect as the "M" you mention with just one keystroke.

Of course you can take that further by having multiple variants and toggling between them all as well as the original.

I find that a whole lot more useful than a "show original" key but would agree that to have at least some way of quickly seeing the 'original' is useful.

Grant
SFA

Postby meanwhile » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:41 pm

Yep, but I'm a simple man with simple needs.

Photography is my hobby. I often work on stuff at the end of a long day, when I probably should be in bed. Having to create, name and manage sets of variants means that at some point I'm going to mess myself up, export or delete the wrong variant. Which, sure, doesn't really mean much given it just a hobby. It just makes it less fun.

All I want to be able to do is quickly and easily ask "Did I make this better or worse?" and have the answer easily. The reset/undo will have to suffice.

I want the highest quality images I can squeeze out of my finite talent and meagre time, hence Capture One. I also want it to be fun (hence not Lightroom, which I find zero fun - we just aren't friends).
meanwhile

Postby SFA » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:49 pm

meanwhile wrote:Yep, but I'm a simple man with simple needs.

Photography is my hobby. I often work on stuff at the end of a long day, when I probably should be in bed. Having to create, name and manage sets of variants means that at some point I'm going to mess myself up, export or delete the wrong variant. Which, sure, doesn't really mean much given it just a hobby. It just makes it less fun.

All I want to be able to do is quickly and easily ask "Did I make this better or worse?" and have the answer easily. The reset/undo will have to suffice.

I want the highest quality images I can squeeze out of my finite talent and meagre time, hence Capture One. I also want it to be fun (hence not Lightroom, which I find zero fun - we just aren't friends).

In that case (and I don't disagree at all with your preferred way of working) let's assume you will work with just a single edit variant all the time. Keep one unedited original "variant" and make the Edit file variant the Primary variant.

Collapse the stack so that only the current edit instruction variant is visible (Collapse and Expand is available via 2 or 3 routes). If and when you want to compare to the original Expand the selected image to get both edited and unedited, toggle back and forth and then, if comfortable, Collapse the stack for that image so you are back to one.

One advantage here is that you can use the same approach to seeing the differences between two variant - not just a variant and the original. So if you get to a point you are happy with but just feel the need to try a couple of extra tweaks ... create a temporary variant form your existing edit. Apply the further changes, select both variants (optional but it means the arrow key based movements will be limited to just those two) and toggle between them.

I feel sure that once you have picked up the new habit you will come to enjoy it.

By comparison reset/undo is a crude and untrustworthy tool - especially when working when tired at the end of a long day. Variants are much safer after a few minutes of familiarisation.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN254597UL » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:58 am

Hi,
just want to say thank you. in the news version it is possible on a mac :D to deactivate one paramater temporarily by clicking on the name of it. !!!!
NN254597UL

Previous

Return to Capture One 7.x Software