Preview only mode?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Preview only mode?

Postby David One » Tue May 06, 2014 8:54 am

Is there a way to force Capture One to only load previews? As a user with alot of images stored on NAS, this would significantly speed things up for me. Obviously I can simply not mount the NAS until I need to edit an image, but this approach doesn't suit .
David One

Re: Preview only mode?

Postby Drew » Tue May 06, 2014 9:22 am

Can you not use a Catalog workflow, saving the Catalog to your Local Disk but referencing the files on the NAS?
This would build previews and store them in the local catalog, allowing you to browse, edit, rate, etc, without the NAS connected at all. "Offline" image editing of previews is supported in the Catalog workflow.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby David One » Tue May 06, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks for the reply Drew. That's what I'm doing, but with the NAS mounted CaptureOne seems to be doing something with the NAS to slow things down. When I unmount the NAS, things speed up dramatically.
David One

Postby Drew » Tue May 06, 2014 10:08 am

Yes, that's normal. If you want to work "offline" then you indeed need to be "offline" from the RAW files.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby David One » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Thanks Drew. Aperture has a nice feature where you can toggle into offline mode with a single keystroke, saving you a little bit of effort in unmounting the drive. Perhaps this is something PhaseOne could consider for a future release?
David One

Postby korni » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Second the request for an explicit offline mode. CO tries to intelligently figure out if or if not the external data source is connected on every interaction with a catalog. This "finding out" slows down offline work considerably.

I store my raw files on a NAS (NFS with MacOS using automount) that I potentially can use via VPN from remote (which is slow but sometimes useful). Browsing a catalog then is slow whether or not the remote dive is mounted - either it's the slow remote line or the slow CO test.
korni

Return to Capture One 7.x Software