Panasonic GM1 support?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: Panasonic GM1 support?

Postby Moritz12 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Since we're not patching the program binaries, I don't see any harm from trying the batch file with other cameras/substitutions. Definitely worth trying.
Re: my earlier point, cropped borders, I found out that that was a "stuck" setting in the cropping tool, I changed it back and am now getting a view of the full image as captured.
GM1 with this workaround is 100% functional in C1 v8.
Even more annoying that PhaseOne haven't given in (yet?) and are officially supporting the GM1.
Moritz12

Postby Adam52 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:17 pm

I checked using a modded version of your batch and it worked fine with no cropping anyway .. to be honest, there`s no need to save two versions even if it was cropped, you could write a reverse batch to convert them back to GM1 at any time .. all I noticed is that you need to lower saturation, otherwise they look the same as GX7 images . Phase One could fix this in minutes and add support but ........... as for support - the GX7 is still "preliminary" and they`ve not fixed the OpenGL bugs they introduced in 7.2.3

Works great for me as it is in 7 ... BTW no amnesty for those who bought a few months ago, it`s full upgrade price , no movement so I won`t be bothering to upgrade to 8 . when it gets so far out of date as 5 is now, I`ll upgrade then to 10 or whatever LOL) and keep hacking RAWs to work
Adam52

Postby Moritz12 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:11 am

Despite the let down with camera support I feel that version 8 is a big step forward. Better local contrast, better noise reduction, I'm starting to use the selective corrections/layer system, better oob profiles for many cameras, including Olympus OM-D E-M1. Enough "better" to make me want to buy.
Moritz12

Postby Adam52 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:41 am

Great - Version 7 was a big step from 6 too (I trialled it and ditched it, 6 if anything was a step back from 5) .. does 8 migrate your settings from 7 ?
Adam52

Postby Moritz12 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:10 pm

From what I have seen (this may be incomplete information, i.e. not apply to all parameters), version 8 retains settings from 7 per image, requires manual "upgrade" to apply v8 engine by clicking on a corresponding development option.
Moritz12

Postby Adam52 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:33 pm

I don`t understand the "Per image" thing, I delete all the crap in the cache etc after conversion .. I want it to retain all my settings such as per camera settings of NR, sharpening etc which you can set ti to remember per camera as defaults ...... it used to be global defaults in V5 and earlier but it`s done per-camera in 7 .. also stuff like how I have the toolbars setup with what selections etc .
Adam52

Postby Eric1121 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Not the most recent topic here, but still hope you guys and PhaseOne crew is having a look into it ;)
I just pushed again a support case regarding another Panasonic camera, my G5 is said to be fully supported, but there is no "lens correction" support, whereas my older G3 had pretty ok lens corrections.

From what I understand here, PhaseOne need a camera physically (in Copenhagen?) to support it.
They want the maufacturer to send it. Another possiblity mentioned in the beginning of the topic would be to get the camera from a store.
Why not even a 3rd possibility: allow C1 users to send THEIR camera to PhaseOne to better support it!

Regarding some arguments about niche products, I understand as well the effort to support every camera.
Sometimes, I think Panasonic is also to blame: it is a a big consumer electronic company with a camera department, their behavior is in many ways quite different from other manufacturer where the camera is much more important.

And about lens support, I actually chose a Panasonic especially because they offer "in-body-lens correction".
I still do not understand why they forced big player like Adobe to support this "in body lens correction" while not letting PhaseOne to have that, at least optionally/complementary to in-house calibration.
The alternative would be the "auto correction" data saved in the Panasonic file.
The algo has been published here:
http://syscall.eu/#pana
This can be read in ExifTool
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
in the PanasonicRaw.pm file!

In C1 v8, for my supported G3 camera, I see along the lens and generic profiles a so called "Manufacturer profile". Any idea what it is?

PhaseOne Support told me once (about Olympus lens on G3) that the lensID is kind of encrypted, and therefore C1 cannot apply automatically a lens profile as it does e.g. for Canon CR2 files. But again, open souce tools like exiftool manage to do so.
I still hope better support for theµ4/3 system, I think a very welcome light weighted alternative to DSLRs (sold my 7D for G3 replaced latter by a G5)!
Eric1121

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software