differences between preview and JPEG export

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Re: differences between preview and JPEG export

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:16 pm

FirstName wrote:I have this exact problem with high ISO images. It's really unfortunate to read that you experienced this with Capture One Pro 7 because I am using version 8 and it is still not fixed.

This thread is a year old and ended in the conclusion it is not a Capture One issue. Now you have the same problem. What is your problem? What need to be fixed? You did not provide details but you draw a conclusion anyway. I do not question you being sincere but suggest to open a new thread in the proper CO8 forum for clarity of arguments and hopefully solutions.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN635642665648240406 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Have same issues with noisy IR image, actually wrote although a topic on it.
and that in any file format.

check on your color profile, it although might cause some color shifting afterwards. adobe RGB1998 as universal, sRGB for internet.
NNN635642665648240406

Postby Maraker » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:08 pm

Same problem here.
C1Pro 8.3.0.52
Nikon Nef d7100 loaded high iso.
100% zoom color change.
Examples open Nef and zoom 50%, then open focus tool and set this tool zoom ratio to 100%, color is different.
Same color switch if you zoom 100% and trying change some basic color hue.
All high iso same problem. Exported Tiff is so different,I can not use this software now. Switched Lightroom.

It is bug. Can not accurate edit anything now.

I can send by some files if support need that.
Maraker

Postby NN635743083146608944UL » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi there, I have the same problem and I can assure the sceptics that it's not nit picking, it's night-and-day discrepancies. I'm using Canon 6D and C1 Pro 8, retina macbook pro . The deadly combo is to use high ISO and play with the C1 exposure/contrast/HDR settings - I get a lovely desirable green tint in the ''fit to screen'' preview, then zoom in one notch and it re-renders totally differently, greens go brown, and this is what I get in the final TIFF or JPG output. I think it's an issue with the fit-to-screen preview rather than the processed image, because the fit-to-screen is a (beautiful but) unexpected sense of colour. I thought it may have been related to colour or luminance noise reduction but no. Shame that this is a long-standing issue now.
NN635743083146608944UL

Postby NN635743083146608944UL » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Hang on, I've moved a session from my MacBook Pro (retina 13 inch early 2015) to my 27 inch iMac (late 2013, not retina), and the issues I'd had with a couple of specific images in that session don't seem to have the problem any more. These are early days regarding isolating the issue for me but maybe it's something to do with screen compatibility, or screen resolution??
NN635743083146608944UL

Postby EdGrip » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I've just logged in to contribute to this thread.

I was getting massively frustrated the other night with exactly this problem on an 800iso X100s file - the exported JPEG being obviously very differently saturated from the preview in Capture One. I ended up trying to approximate what I wanted by a trial-and-error process of adjusting, exporting, viewing and refining (I was using both Google Chrome and Windows Photos to view the output.) Very vexing when I've paid a lot for this software.

So.

I decided to log in to add my voice to this thread so that Phase might be moved to address this glaring bug. I loaded up that very file, in the adjustment state I'd left it in, with the intention of saving a screenshot of COP to show here alongside the resultant JPEG. But today, when I exported the JPEG, is was EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE PREVIEW. That is to say, COP is behaving correctly - differently to the way it was the other night.

Other bugs include the one where you go to "undo" your most recent action, only to find that COP has not recorded ANY undo states in its history - while at other times there will be undo states for as far as could wish.
The one where you alt-click on the "Reset adjustments" icon to momentarily compare your adjustment with the default, and COP arbitrarily chooses not to acknowledge the Alt command and you lose all your adjustments within that section.

So yes. Here I am. The problem that this thread refers to is real, but apparently only when COP feels like misbehaving.

- Ed

EDIT: I just noticed this thread is in the Mac section - I'm a PC user, and I'm using COP 8.3.3 but it doesn't seem worth starting another thread.
EdGrip

Postby NNN634637312486142881 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:36 am

Dear All,
I recently spent the last few hours getting to the bottom of this problem. I saw exactly this problem, strong color shifts going to higher magnifications and also strong color shift in the final output across numerous viewing software and color modes and ICC profiles. What ended up solving the problem for me was to go into the details tab and set the color noise reduction to 0%. At that point the colors matched at all levels. Naturally this removes color noise reduction for the majority of images. However, at 100% view the loss of saturation effects due to noise reduction are visible.
Test out turning off color NR and see if it fixes the problem.
NNN634637312486142881

Postby NN635992461021583172UL » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi all,

Please see a continuation of this issue in the latest CO10 version (or at least an issue that seems closely related to this one):
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=24940.

By the way, I tried this but to no avail:
NNN634637312486142881 wrote:... What ended up solving the problem for me was to go into the details tab and set the color noise reduction to 0%. ...

Cheers.
NN635992461021583172UL

Postby NN636266544563980394UL » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:45 pm

The reason I like to shoot in RAW+JPEG is that the JPEG https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/what-is-jpg.html preserves your chosen film simulation. It's fixed into the image, whereas if you upload a RAW file to most processing software like Lightroom, your film simulation will be trashed and the Adobe Standard color profile will be assigned to your image. You can sort of get it back in the Camera Calibration tab in LR and PS, but it's not exactly the same colors as the original Fuji colors.
If you tend to process most of your photos anyway, maybe this isn't a big deal. For me, I love how the Fuji Jpegs look, and I'm often making a deliberate choice about what film sim I'm using, so I definitely want to preserve that. In that way, the RAW is sort of your backup file, and if you need to adjust, you have the flexibility, but if you want to quickly share the image, or if you find that the JPEG looks fine, then you have a ready file with your film sim still embedded.
Of course, you can always process and select a film sim using the camera's built-in RAW processor, but you can only do this while the card is in the camera.
NN636266544563980394UL

Previous

Return to Capture One 7.x Software