Autofill / Auto complete metadata/keywording

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Autofill / Auto complete metadata/keywording

Postby NN265138UL » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 am

Is there any way to turn off the auto complete/fill when typing descriptions and keywords in the metadata?

It's horribly annoying everytime i type in "A" and it automatically fills in something completely unrelated and in the wrong case even when i keep typing.
NN265138UL

Re: Autofill / Auto complete metadata/keywording

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Have seen this and was annoyed all the way. Because I do my key wording outside CO7, it does not affect my every day. Hope to look into it shortly and contact Phase One if applicable.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby matt mckee » Fri May 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Paul,

Did you ever figure out how to kill the autofill auto complete metadata? I am working with adding titles to a bunch of files and this is driving me nuts!

Matt
matt mckee

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat May 11, 2013 2:39 pm

matt mckee wrote:Paul,

Did you ever figure out how to kill the autofill auto complete metadata? I am working with adding titles to a bunch of files and this is driving me nuts!

Matt,

No, I am sorry, I haven't. It is still on my to-do list of items to look into. For some reason, this list is growing, not shrinking. ;-)
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby matt mckee » Sun May 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks, Paul. I agree. They do so much right. But the stuff that's wrong...
matt mckee

Postby SFA » Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 am

matt mckee wrote:Thanks, Paul. I agree. They do so much right. But the stuff that's wrong...

But if predictive text was not included in an iphone age software release how many people would be annoyed by that?

I guess one could code in a switch for everything and then wait for people to complain that there are too many switches.

I wish my brain was the sort that could remember keyboard short cuts and all the intricacies of user settings that one can configure. Sadly I tend to use C1 in vanilla flavour most of the time. I suspect the majority of users do the same, though thier vanilla may not be quite the same as mine.

Well, I have a stock of films and some analogue bodies. Do they represent a simpler life?

Grant
SFA

Postby matt mckee » Mon May 13, 2013 11:50 am

I kind of like predictive text... On my iPhone. But, if I just did 3 portrait sessions with three guys named Mark, it becomes really difficult to put their last name in the title field. It keeps trying to auto correct for the very first Mark I photographed.

I keep going back to vanilla mode too.
matt mckee

Postby HCS » Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

I agree it can be quite annoying sometimes, when certain things happen without option to switch them off (or on).

However, when you have three sessions where you want to keyword in similar ways (same beginning letters or so), just select all "affected" pictures and use plain and simple copy paste in all of those. Then, you only have to type it once (and overcome the auto complete function) and then just click in each one of the pictures needing that keyword and paste the value. No auto completing then.

Hopefully this would work for your work flow too.
HCS

Postby matt mckee » Mon May 13, 2013 3:55 pm

Copy/paste is one work around. However, if you are typing in a new title and the first couple of letter of the fourth word happens to match a title from 2 weeks ago, and you hit the space bar, it dumps that old title in starting at the fourth word. So, you erase part of it. No. Wait. Finish what you wanted to type, then erase the part that auto correct dumped in and start the next word. And, repeat, until you have finished the title/description/what ever.

Copy and paste should be in the metadata. Auto correction? not so much.

Heck, I have been waiting for the ability to set up the metadata at the beginning of the session and tie it directly to each image as it comes in! Much of my metadata doesn't change all that much.

It would be so cool to set all the metadata when I set up the session. And then go in and change the title every time we put a new subject in front of the camera. Later on, during editing, I wouldn't have to try to remember who was who or go searching through notes written by an assistant who was too caffined to write legibly.

Of course, this also falls under my wish list that includes making my file numbering system the default, rather than having to set it every time I make a new session. And, yes, I have a work around where I make a blank session that contains all the defaults I want. The only one that seems to stick is the numbering...

Sigh. I like so much about this program... except the parts that I absolutely hate!
matt mckee

Postby HCS » Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm

I totally agree, there is some work to be done to allow for a smooth workflow for more than just the way the developers thought would be handy, that includes being able to switch things on/off to make this possible.
HCS

Postby matt mckee » Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 pm

HCS, we are totally on the same page.
matt mckee

Postby SFA » Mon May 13, 2013 4:32 pm

One potentially useful way to add keywords to a file is to prepare a list of line in a basic text editor using a comma as a separator value (this character may be language dependent and I have only checked it on windows and C1 V6 so far. Will check V7 later - the machine is tied up with something else at the moment.).

Then cut and paste the string into a new keyword entry and hit "Return" (or Enter, or whatever normally works).

C1 will split the string creating separate keywords for each word or phrase between the separator characters. (NB. Don't add any spaces next to the separators unless you want the spaces as part of the keyword string)

You can then use the entries for that images to copy to other selected images.

HTH.

Grant

ETA: You can of course also just type the "string" as a new Keyword entry with a comma between each "word" or phrase - works the same.

I would guess there may be a limit to the the length of the string that will be parsed successfully. However I think this approach will still be useful even if it means adding the KWs as 2 or 3 strings.
SFA

Postby matt mckee » Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 pm

Actually, I guess I wasn't too clear. The keywords are not really the problem for me. I am pretty rudimentary with them most of the time.

The challenge is in all of the rest of the metadata. The information I will want to reference later or hope will live with the file when it goes to the client (who shot this? oh, yeah. we like him. hire him again.).

Work arounds are exactly that: ways to get around problems with the software that effect my workflow. The more work arounds I need to use, the less likely I will reach for that software.

I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch but metadata is a big concern and is growing bigger as our files float around cyberspace. And, it goes far beyond just keywords.
matt mckee

Postby SFA » Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Matt,

I think the suggestion for the stuff that mostly changes little is to use one (or more) preset "styles".

I can see the idea for that but it's not something that I am overly familiar with.

I share your concerns though. There is a potential danger that the demand for completed data will come to exist because there seems to be a facility to store it even if that facility and the storage methods - even the "standards" associated with it - are not especially useful to anyone. Somethings are, others may not be.

You should create a support case to put forward your ideas to the developers.

Grant
SFA

Postby ducky » Fri May 17, 2013 8:27 pm

The autofill feature sucks.

In concept, it's useful.... but in everyday application when filling in a lot of different metadata on a daily basis, it's a major headache to have the wrong info populating into fields every time I enter s similar starting string of letters.
ducky

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software