Auto mask brush cannot be used with this image format

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Auto mask brush cannot be used with this image format

Postby NN634752050690879867UL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Is anyone getting this error message when trying to use the Auto mask feature with the local adjustments brush? This works great in Lightroom and I really miss it!

Thanks!

Capture One 7.0.2 64 Bit - Windows
build 65074
NN634752050690879867UL

Re: Auto mask brush cannot be used with this image format

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:29 pm

NN634752050690879867UL wrote:Is anyone getting this error message when trying to use the Auto mask feature with the local adjustments brush? This works great in Lightroom and I really miss it!

Thanks!

Capture One 7.0.2 64 Bit - Windows
build 65074

Not yet, but maybe you like to share about your image format?!
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN634752050690879867UL » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Oopsie! Image format is X-Trans RAW from Fujifilm X-E1. I also get this error when trying to process X-Trans JPG.

Thanks!
NN634752050690879867UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Similar experience on Mac with Fuji X-Pro1 raw file.

Don't know whether this is due to the X-Trans file type of the Fuji, or preliminary support or other reason.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN635009287539797261 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:58 am

http://s14.postimg.org/935xzkrgh/error.jpg

get exactly same error, so I can not use auto mask at all, which renders otherwise excellent software useless.... :(

I have tried to import tiffs and jpgs from internet, so it cant be camera specific.
Raw files (RAF) from my camera, Fuji X-E1 cant be used with this feature too.

System used is windows 7 pro 64bit, and Capture One software built is 65074, Trial.

Hopefully this bug will be patched, as no auto-mas is a big turn off....
NNN635009287539797261

Postby NNN635009287539797261 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:00 am

same error after reinstalling and updating software to the most current 66932 build.
DNG files from Canon work with auto-mask. Fuji RAFs even after conversion to DNG using adobe tool, still do not work with auto-mask at all.
NNN635009287539797261

Postby SFA » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:15 am

Is this just the Auto Mask feature or regular masking too?

If it is just auto masking then one might consider it an inconvenience but hardly a show stopper - unless for some reasons one always needs a lot of edge masking.

Given that there is a specific message (or so it seems from the posts) it would appear that this is more of a design limitation (likely to be for technical reasons) rather than a "bug".

I would imagine that a resolution will be forthcoming at some point once the technical issues have been circumvented.

Must be a real pain for developers to be forced by possible but not guaranteed commercial considerations to have to invent new wheels. I'm sure some may appreciate tghe challenge that presents but having to work on it in timescales set by others rather than as the solution evolves is probably frustrating. One can only hope that a huge number of people buy the technology and do more than shoot jpg and accept what the camera gives them.

And that they also buy Capture One to make the development effort worthwhile.

It always puzzles me that the camera manufacturers seem to be so out of touch with the needs of their costomers that they don't contract someone to write the perfect software for their devices to accompany the release.Still, I guess they think they do supply the best. How out of touch can they be?

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm

It is only the auto mask that might not be available (or become available later) for certain (newly supported) file formats.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:28 pm

NNN635009287539797261 wrote:...
I have tried to import tiffs and jpgs from internet, so it cant be camera specific.
Raw files (RAF) from my camera, Fuji X-E1 cant be used with this feature too....

Hopefully this bug will be patched, as no auto-mas is a big turn off....

It is camera specific, hence not a bug in the program but a certain feature missing for specific camera formats.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Christian Gruner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:14 pm

NNN635009287539797261 wrote:same error after reinstalling and updating software to the most current 66932 build.
DNG files from Canon work with auto-mask. Fuji RAFs even after conversion to DNG using adobe tool, still do not work with auto-mask at all.

As the dialog states, the auto-mask functionality is not operative on x-trans files. X-trans support is still preliminary, which why the full set of features are not yet incorporated.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN635009287539797261 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Christian Gr wrote:As the dialog states, the auto-mask functionality is not operative on x-trans files. X-trans support is still preliminary, which why the full set of features are not yet incorporated.

Well, I think it should be clearly stated on a list of supported cameras, that Fuji X-E1 and X-Pro is NOT yet supported.
It is very misleading when you can see your camera model on the list of supported cameras and then discover that this simply doesn't work.
It's a shame, as the software is great, but unfortunately it is not fully working, so until its full functionality and support is included, I will have to look elsewhere for RAW processing software, as I don't see it reasonable to buy few different software suites for the same task.
NNN635009287539797261

Postby Christian Gruner » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am

NNN635009287539797261 wrote:
Christian Gr wrote:As the dialog states, the auto-mask functionality is not operative on x-trans files. X-trans support is still preliminary, which why the full set of features are not yet incorporated.

Well, I think it should be clearly stated on a list of supported cameras, that Fuji X-E1 and X-Pro is NOT yet supported.
It is very misleading when you can see your camera model on the list of supported cameras and then discover that this simply doesn't work.
It's a shame, as the software is great, but unfortunately it is not fully working, so until its full functionality and support is included, I will have to look elsewhere for RAW processing software, as I don't see it reasonable to buy few different software suites for the same task.

They are supported, but preliminary. This is clearly stated in the Release Notes found under Documentation: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Ca ... Pro-7.aspx

The the x-trans files are working well, but a very few number of features are not implemented yet. Also, we are still tweaking the pipeline for x-trans, so it will continue to be improved.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby SFA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am

NNN635009287539797261 wrote:

So, let me understand this criticism.

One (new to C1) feature of a masking system - an aid to productivity but not in itself a limit to functionality - is unavailable at the moment and you therefore conclude that the rest of the good things that are apparently possible with X-trans files should not be released?

Did I understand that correctly?

Are you saying you HAVE to use automask with all of your X-trans files? If so, why? What is wrong with X-trans to make that necessary?

I have seen some good results from people who have the X-trans based cameras and few people seem to have any criticisms so I have been thinking about buying one. But if I'm going to have to mask edits to all of the images for some reason then I don't think it is so good that it will be worth the effort.

What can you tell me?

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby Jim MSP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:
NNN635009287539797261 wrote:........
It is camera specific, hence not a bug in the program but a certain feature missing for specific camera formats.

Just for the record, it also doesn't work on large panoramics that have been stitched from multiple photos.
Not a killer, but it is inconvenient.
Jim MSP

Postby kaars » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 pm

I just downloaded 7.1.3 Pro for OSX and I get the same message when using my Leica DLUX-4 RAW files.
Should I just stick with Capture One 6.x Pro?
Will will this version be maintained for future MacOSX releases?
kaars

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software