integrating sessions and catalog + keywords

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

integrating sessions and catalog + keywords

Postby vitorm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm facing two problems with Capture One Pro 7:

1. I've been trying the new catalog system, and I've already been using sessions for a few years. Problem is when I try importing files from past sessions, none of them have the edits I've applied previously in those sessions (even if each raw file has an .xmp sidecar). Am I doing something wrong? I have set the preferences to full sync, but if my applied editing doesn't show then it's useless for me to catalogue thousands of previous photos, which I have already spent countless hours editing, and now show up unedited. Also, if I make any changes to a file in a catalog, they don't show up in the session.

2. I don't quite understand the key wording system. I was led to believe that now that C1 has a keyword and filtering system, and I assumed that you would be able to create keywords for your images. However I can't seem to find where I can create a new keyword. There are no tutorials or explanations anywhere online on how to do such a simple task. Am I going crazy or do keywords really not exist in the way they do in other software, such as Lightroom?

I don't know if I'm looking at this all wrong or if it's just not able to do what I'm asking. It would be a shame if it's not capable of that because I love the processing engine and am quite used to the UI now, but I'm a click away from switching to Lightroom.
vitorm

Re: integrating sessions and catalog + keywords

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:45 pm

There is no sync between sessions and catalogs. It was not designed that way. You can import into a catalog, and export from a catalog (both the original or the processed image), but there is no sync.

Keywords can be edited from the Metadata tool tab. That is the tab with the 'i' in a circle. Scroll down to find the keywords section.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Steven48 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Paul_E wrote:There is no sync between sessions and catalogs. It was not designed that way. You can import into a catalog, and export from a catalog (both the original or the processed image), but there is no sync.

Keywords can be edited from the Metadata tool tab. That is the tab with the 'i' in a circle. Scroll down to find the keywords section.

If I understand you correctly, If you have your images in sessions already (with edits done in C1) and would like to create a catalog with these images in it (migrate if you will), all your previous edits from C1 will be lost? That completely negates the use of catalogs for archival purposes, doesn't it? I thought when you create a catalog you are given the option to check that allows you to import with previous edits. Or is that only with sessions? Since at the moment I really don't use either (I import thru LR, do my selections in LR and then navigate to the folder in C1 to edit the images. At the moment with all the bugs in 7, I am trying to steer clear of the issues with my production work until they are fixed.
Steven48

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Steven48 wrote:If I understand you correctly, If you have your images in sessions already (with edits done in C1) and would like to create a catalog with these images in it (migrate if you will), all your previous edits from C1 will be lost?

No, that is not correct. All adjustments made earlier are retained when you import with existing adjustments (Import Images dialog).
Steven48 wrote:I thought when you create a catalog you are given the option to check that allows you to import with previous edits. Or is that only with sessions?

That is correct and that options is available for both sessions and catalogs.

What I meant to say is, that there is no back-and-forth sync between adjustments made in a session and adjustments to imported images in a catalog. That was the original question and I responded accordingly.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby vitorm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Paul, that is not what i've been experiencing. My files in sessions all have .xmp sidecar files and I set them up to full sync between session and catalog. When I imported to catalog they showed up without a single change.

Also, if changes in catalogs don't show up in sessions, then are they not writing into the .xmp file? Where is that info going and what is the purpose of having editing in catalogs in the first place?

Yes Steven, that to me is a big flaw with this entire concept. If Capture One is giving their users a new catalog system to archive and catalog their library, what use is it if all my previous changes in sessions don't show up?

Also, regarding the keywords, do they honestly expect photographers to type out keywords over and over again for each and every photograph? What is the purpose of that keyword tab if you can't do a simple task of building a hierarchy of keywords.

This is such a disappointment, I've been using Capture One for years and I love your processing engine and UI, but they've just sold themselves out of a client.
vitorm

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:25 pm

Dear vitorm,

The XMP files do NOT contain the Capture One adjustments. They only contain metadata that can sync with other software like Adobe Bridge or Lightroom.
All you have to do is DURING import set the checkbox "Include Existing Adjustments". Once an image is imported into a catalog, including the adjustments you made earlier, any new adjustment is stored and displayed only to the image in the catalog.

There is no mechanism to duplicate it back to sessions.

The XMP and sync options in Capture One have a different purpose. Due to a misunderstanding - if I read your post properly - you had expectations that are not met, hence you are disappointed. I can understand that.

Regard the concept of catalogs and session as different ways to organize your images. Use what fits your workflow best after you have evaluated their possibilities. In the long run, I expect the catalogs to evolve into a more versatile tool. But that's the future and today is now.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby vitorm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:28 pm

What about keywording?
vitorm

Postby Steven48 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks Paul for the clarification. I misread or misunderstood the original post, the first time. :) I'm with you that eventually catalogs will be the way to go, but it is going to be a while until all the 'wrinkles' are worked out. :|
Steven48

Postby Steven48 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:36 pm

vitorm wrote:What about keywording?

Sorry, can't help you there. I do my keywording currently in LR because I can't find a easy way to keyword in C1 like you can in LR. I'm not saying there is a way, I just haven't found it. :?
Steven48

Postby vitorm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Paul,

What about the Keywords? Is it possible to create any kind of a keyword system?
vitorm

Postby vitorm » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Anyone?
vitorm

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software