Size of imported catalog files ....

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Size of imported catalog files ....

Postby SMG Photography » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Can someone please tell me if the file sizes of images imported to a catalog are full size, same as originals, or are they smaller, non-destructive message-set types a la Lightroom. The metadata shows them to be the same size as the originals.

Does that make sense? If that's the case, then when I'm importing from my local drive it means I'm duplicating a full size image for the sake of having a catalog. That will eat up hard drive room in no time! Some of my files are 145MB and larger (16-bit). I've written to support about this but have not yet heard back. Thanks ....
SMG Photography

Re: Size of imported catalog files ....

Postby Paul Silk » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:46 am

If when you import them you select to store them "original location" no duplicates are made and the catalog uses your original images rather than copy them int the catalog.
Paul Silk

Re: Size of imported catalog files ....

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Should read "Current Location" (Import Images dialog, Store Files drop-down list).

Note that the CO7 catalog contains the 'location of the image file' plus preview and adjustments, and optionally the image file itself (Store Files: Inside Catalog in Import Images dialog).
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software