Create Catalog from Aperture

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Create Catalog from Aperture

Postby MarkBatchelour » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:46 am

C1 Users,

I have all my primary image files stored in folders on disk with one folder per "roll of film"
I have each "roll of film" thumbnailed in Aperture and this thumbnail has keywords, ratings etc

I'd like to export the keywords and ratings for use in C1-7.x as this means I could concentrate on just the one piece of SW. Does anybody know if it is possible to;
1. Create a Catalogue from an Aperture project (media pro used to claim a facility like this but as far as I can tell it didn't work)
2. Edit (preferably programatically) the image path of the catalogue to point to the primary image file rather than the thumbnail.

I've got ~2000 rolls, of 10..500 images to do, so manual solutions score low on the practicality scale.

Thanks,

MB
MarkBatchelour

Re: Create Catalog from Aperture

Postby travelboy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Ha... you're helping me with the TIFFs and I'll help you with this one :)

What you need to do is NOT generate a new catalog / library / whatever, but point C1 to the already existing files (Aperture masters) while preserving the metadata.

1) Select all images in Aperture, choose Metadata > Write IPTC metadata into masters. This will store the metadata within the master files (as it says). I successfully imported my ratings into C1 this way. I haven't checked for keywords, but that should work too.

2) Choose File > New location for masters (this will move your masters to a new location on disk). Before you proceed, click the combobox "Sub folder" and then customize. That allows you to specify a file pathes depending on meta information. For example if you make a preset "<project name>/Capture" it will make a folder for each Aperture project and put the images into a sub folder named Capture (like C1 does). This allows you to do it for all images in one step.

If you want your folder / sorting criteria to depend on metadata that is not offered as a variable in this dialogue, you need to apply some tricks. You can use Metadata > Batch edit to fill metadata fields. Combine this with selecting images first through a filter of your choice and you can accomplish a lot.

I assume that Aperture knows your primary masters and not only thumbnails. If that is not the case, it might be tricky. You could try to move away the files Aperture references and then use "Find masters" to point them to the other set of files. I haven't tried that though.
travelboy

Re: Create Catalog from Aperture

Postby MarkBatchelour » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks, I'll give that route a try.

MB
MarkBatchelour

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software