crash continuos in catalogue mode

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

crash continuos in catalogue mode

Postby fabrizio cicconi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:51 am

Hallo,
Is it possible that some catalogue can be damaged I remake another catalogue, and imported the same pictures, but they has not the adjustment and tag. I lost all? this is terrible where are the setting folder or the xmp?
Is it possible loose all the settings because the catalogue file is damaged?
Another problem... Very slow to import the images in the catalogue... from a preset folder, not from a CF...
LR is faster

My best Fabrizio
fabrizio cicconi

Re: crash continuos in catalogue mode

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 am

Catalogs, what you might want to know about it:

- adjustments (including tags, ratings) are stored in a database, which is at the heart of the catalog
- image files may be stored both inside the catalog or outside
- to get the adjustments out of the catalog - for example to import into another catalog - export the image and select Original; next, import the image with existing adjustments into the other catalog
- in case the catalog database gets corrupt or damaged, try to repair with the verify option of the File menu
- backup your catalog frequently, at least daily; backup is fast and additional, that is that it does not overwrite previous backups; backups are small as they do not contain the original image files.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby fabrizio cicconi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 am

Thank you,

I tried to verify the catalogue, It tell me that it's ok, but when i try to open it, C1 crash... for this is impossible export the catalogue setting like you advice... I made another catalogue , I imported the same pictures, but have not the setting. I've not understand How have i to import the setting... or it's impossible if didn't export them first?
I've see that in the images folder there is the capture folder with all the setting, but it's doesn't work in the new catalogue...
Is not like session that when the session file is corrupt, is possible make another session and all work good again...

My best.
Fabrizio
fabrizio cicconi

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:04 am

You have to make an export first (which won't work in your situation, I am sorry) before you can import it with existing adjustments.

Catalogs is still buggy, sessions are a safer choice, for now. Updates will bring more stability, for sure.

Workflow tip: use session for day-to-day tasks and jobs, use catalogs for collection files in the long term, per period, or per client or topic.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Valentin3 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:32 pm

Paul_E wrote:...
- backup your catalog frequently, at least daily; backup is fast and additional, that is that it does not overwrite previous backups; backups are small as they do not contain the original image files.

Paul,

That would not help with loosing work during the day. You can waste hours and all the work be done in a second. I suggested to Phase to implement an option like LR does and write simultaneous to an XMP file any adjustments made at the same time it's written to the database to prevent such loss. The response: tough. Use sessions.

The thing is that you can export those settings via the File menu but it's cumbersome, especially when working with hundreds of files. It baffles me why Phase would not take a suggestion that would make their product better/efficient. Hopefully it will not take several versions like it did with the keyboard shortcuts to realize it's a good thing to have.
Valentin3

Postby ChrisM » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:52 pm

I have not worked my way into using catalogues yet, but it seems common sense to me, that it should be possible to freely migrate image settings between sessions and catalogues.

Chris
ChrisM

Postby fabrizio cicconi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:16 am

ChrisM wrote:I have not worked my way into using catalogues yet, but it seems common sense to me, that it should be possible to freely migrate image settings between sessions and catalogues.

Chris

I quote every body!
I've been to a C1 7 presentation in Bologna (Italy), C1 7 is a great realise above all for the image render... it could be great save the xmp into the file like this every picture have a personal identity...:-/ I hope I'm explain me...
fabrizio cicconi

Postby Likovsky » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 pm

I've had Catalog crash quite a bit as well. In the meantime, until there is an update that addresses this and the Canon 5D Mark III Tethering issue, I'll go back to my usual work flow where I create a session and just designate whatever folder I want as the Capture folder and work from there.

I was wondering in Catalogs, what happens when I store the images elsewhere and then that drive fails or I change the folders location?
Likovsky

Postby Valentin3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:28 pm

PhaseoneUser50155 wrote:...
I was wondering in Catalogs, what happens when I store the images elsewhere and then that drive fails or I change the folders location?

You loose ALL the work you have done. I've suggested to Phase to incorporate the option (preferences) to write the adjustments to XMP and they said no. Hopefully if enough people tell them, they will incorporate that feature since you can loose all the work you do during the day.
Valentin3

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:52 pm

If you change folder location for images stored outside the catalog, you can relocate the images so that the catalog again can track them.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software