Crop Tool Very Slow And Sluggish

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Crop Tool Very Slow And Sluggish

Postby artmanphoto » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:05 am

Is anyone having issues with the crop tool?

The crop tool in version 7 is extremely slow. I did not have this issue with 6.4.4. I updated my video driver today, ran a virus, spyware and malware scan and the Windows 7 machine is clean.

When I start to drag my mouse or Wacom tablet pen from the upper left corner down to the lower right corner of an image to create a crop I drag down to the lower right corner then a second later the crop box opens and appears. If I try to re-position the crop box/frame I move my mouse or Wacom pen and the box moves a couple of seconds later. The crop tool is very slow and sluggish.

I have followed the Phase One knowledge base article on how un-install version 7 and I have re-downloaded and re-installed version 7 and this did not fix the crop issue. As I mentioned earlier I did not have this problem with 6.4.4.

If I can not fix the crop slowness and sluggishness I will un-install 7 and download 6.4.4 if it is still available. I have created a support case and was told to update my video driver which I did today with no help to the slow crop.

Thanks, Bill
artmanphoto

Re: Crop Tool Very Slow And Sluggish

Postby gregger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:56 am

Same performance issue for me. I notice it with my Wacom Pen Tablet PC or just using the mouse, so it's not specific to your tablet that I know of.

I have the latest Wacom drivers installed too.

It also happens on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Earlier versions of Capture One 6.x performed this way too.
It's really frustrating. It adds an hour to processing a hundred photos.

It used to be that closing and opening Capture One 6 would speed it up (because that seemed to close out the undo session file), but that doesn't appear to make a difference in Capture One 7.
gregger

Postby Drew » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:33 am

So far Bill's case is the only one that we have reporting this.
There must be a conflict with some other application installation on the machine as we cannot replicate this and the Crop tool is quite quick.
Support cases and details so we can troubleshoot the issue would be the only way to get to the bottom of the issue.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:38 am

Bill,

Not having 64bit yet I can't try anything on V7 but I did notice some slowness of screen re-drawing on my v6 installation a few weeks back after a video driver update. I think the update somehow changed the default display characteristics and introduced some scaling to the processes although the change in size was not obvious. The I reset the size to native for my primary monitor and all was well. Yet another graphics card update a week or so later did not re-introduce the problem.

I can't say that looking into this (if you have not already done so) will make a difference but it's worth considering.

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby Tommo1965 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi Bill

I have a 64 bit windows 7 machine using a Nivida based Graphics card and crop works fine...I think the issue is at your end rather than CO
Tommo1965

Postby gregger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 am

I have both CO6 and CO7 64 bit installed side by side with the same graphics driver installed (Intel HD 3000).

The performance is markedly different between the crop tool in both versions.

So, you're pretty lucky!

I wish it was the same speed as CO6.

My case number is:
gregger

Postby Michael17 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:17 pm

I have found some things faster and some things slower in CO7 versus CO6.

Like you, I have found the crop tool a little slower in CO7.

I have also found that it takes much longer to load up a folder, even when the proxies have already been created. In my case the files are stored over a network, so I do not know if that is the reason, but CO7 is definitely much slower for me than CO6.

However, I have found that multiple selections are significantly faster to work with in CO7.

I would like to see the regressions fixed though!
Michael Ben-Gershon
Michael17

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software