Rolling Back to v6

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Rolling Back to v6

Postby NN156143UL » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:48 pm

That's it, I have had enough. I'm going back to v6. I really do like the new features in v7, but the crashes, the freeze ups, and the basic buggyness of this program is not worth the time I have wasted on troubleshooting it. I hope Phase One will release a patch or a fix soon, because this particular version is not worth the trouble.
NN156143UL

Re: Rolling Back to v6

Postby Julen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I 100% agree.... I am doing the same thing, it has been a very big disappointment..... specially if compared to LR.....
Julen

Postby LANEWAY » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:07 pm

I too am at the end of the rope. I can no longer sit frustrated looking at spinning balls, repeated crashes and appallingly slow performance of V7. Some rare glimpses of some great looking images on the Macbook retina and a few successful raw processing to PS have been a great carrot, but I have restarted, rebuilt and reloaded so many times and now sitting watching the two busy symbols spinning stutteringly slow, with no previews showing and no idea what CO is doing - I give up. This is now seriously impacting my ability to get my images out. This should never have been released.
Regards,

Mark
LANEWAY

Postby Joao Manuel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:27 pm

i suggest that you turn off OpenCL processing for both Display and Processing in the PO7 preferences (General, Hardware acceleration) and relaunch CO7.
Joao Manuel

Postby NN156143UL » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:54 pm

The OpenCL is the first feature that I deactivated when I installed CO7. I had problematic experience with that feature in the past, and it is not necessary for what I do. I also switched to the Capture One Engine, it helped for a very short time, but the freeze-ups and crashes persisted. I cleared out the preferences and re-installed the program, disabled OpenCL, switch to the CO6 Engine, and still the constant crashing, and freezing.
NN156143UL

Postby Henrik1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:54 am

Hi guys,

Has any of you had problems rolling back to 6 from 7. Have you done star and color rating in 7 and later opened it in 6, has the rating stayed the same?

I guess the main question here is, is there any compatibility issues between version 6 and 7?? either way?

One of my friends have just rolled back to 6, but is finding that a lot of the work that has been done in the past week on 7, the ratings and color coding are lost when viewing it in 6

Sorry If this is a little confusing, cos i am a little confused myself here ;-) <not feeling 100% :cry: >

I guess I want to know if this is a common issue, or an isolated one

thanks

Henrik
I wish Phase One would treat windows user equally to Mac Users and vs.

alt andet er jord i hoved!!
Henrik1

Postby Wade » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:01 am

Hello,

It is not possible to retain settings and adjustments made in CO V7 when using V6.

It is possible to go the other way V6 to V7 but this is a one shot deal since V7 makes a (converted) copy of the V6 settings as V7 settings and then uses the V7 settings going forward.

Consequently, using V6 on an image that has only previously been worked on with V7 will result in V6 defaults being applied.

Using V7 on an image that was originally worked on in V6 and then later with V7 will retain the settings last use in V6 - it will lose all adjustments made in V7.

if V7 is used to work on an image, all subsequent changes to the image made using V6 will not be visible to version 7 by default (although it may be possible to force V7 to 're-convert' by deleting the associated files in the Settings70 folder - and losing any V7 edits ass you do so)

Wade
Wade
Wade

Postby Henrik1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks Wade,

I guess the frustration here is that CO7 is crashing too often, making it hard to work on, in particular when you have staff that you have to pay doing this work and by the looks of things have to redo it.

Only reason for us to roll back to CO6 is to be able to work fluidly again.

thanks again for getting back to me

Henrik
I wish Phase One would treat windows user equally to Mac Users and vs.

alt andet er jord i hoved!!
Henrik1

Postby Coach » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:17 pm

Well, this is interesting. v7 is working fine (enough, so far) for me but I was curious at what it might take to transfer the v7 settings back to v6. I figured for sure I would have to copy the .cos files from Settings70 to Settings50. But then I figured a text editor would be needed to edit out the v7 qualifiers and perhaps extra settings. It sounded too tedious for a large number of images.

So I did a little test and copied the .cos over. v6 opened it and, SURPRISE!, it worked. No manual edits to the .cos file needed. I only used basic adjustments while in v7, but it looked like everything (WB, exp, high dynamic range, level, crop, rotation, noise...) was read into v6 just fine. The processed image looked normal also.

I tried it with about 75 images, and all worked fine. The only thing I noticed was that the image thumbnail had a small icon that looked like an exclamation mark inside a white circle.

It was only a simple test, and it didn't include any new features, but it may be a work around for those of you needing to roll back. BTW, I did this using the Windows version.
Coach

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software