DNG and v7

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

DNG and v7

Postby Raymond4 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:32 am

Here's another surprise. Version 6 only supported dng with my ricoh GXR A12 modules 28mm and 50mm. I submitted a support case to include the A16 module which wasn't supported nor is yet (completely wrong colours)- BUT my A16 DNG test image is rendered perfectly as far as I can tell initially great! Better image quality than I got from Lightroom (supports A16) too.

Thanks Phase One if you've done something here! will upgrade at the end of the trial.

So I suggest those with DNG problems in v6 - Pentax K30 I believe? trial v7 nothing to lose, plenty to gain
Raymond4

Re: DNG and v7

Postby PhaseZero » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Thank you Raymond for report and suggestion,

may be "nothing to loose" with a trial of C1 v7, but something to invest (if you have no 64bit OS system). Regarding Pentax K-30 there is apparently no support yet. See: http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13079&p=60062

You are really lucky with this secret hidden support for your camera in v7. Do you really think P1 has something done or is it just a single bit, which has flipped unintentionally somewhere in the new code of C1 :-)

Regards from Joseph
CaptureOnePro v6.4.4 + MediaPro v1.3.1 + IDimager (RIP) + IMatch + Mobjects
VistaHome-32bit, 2Core-P8600@2.4GHz 4GB, Nvidia 9800M-GTX + Win7pro 32bit, 4Core-Pi5-M540@2,53GHz 6GB, ATI-Mob HD5650
PhaseZero

Postby NN125462 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:19 pm

I downloaded C1 V7 and opened a session to work with some of my Pentax K-01 DNG files.

I can confirm that the unusual colour treatment is the same in C1 V7 as in C1 V6.

Shame - I do hope C1 get on and support these .DNG ONLY based cameras as soon as. I'm using Corel Aftershot Pro for the time being as I've worked with that (as Bibble Pro) for many years, but I was prefering to work with C1 untile I got the K-01.

Neil
NN125462

Postby PhaseZero » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:10 pm

AfterShotPro does not open DNGs from Pentax K-30 at all, but I did not try to modify the camera maker and model in the exif data. Key question is therefor: Is it better if an application does not open and display unsupported DNGs or does display unsupported DNGs with wrong color?
VistaHome-32bit, 2Core-P8600@2.4GHz 4GB, Nvidia 9800M-GTX + Win7pro 32bit, 4Core-Pi5-M540@2,53GHz 6GB, ATI-Mob HD5650
PhaseZero

Postby SFA » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:57 pm

PhaseZero wrote:AfterShotPro does not open DNGs from Pentax K-30 at all, but I did not try to modify the camera maker and model in the exif data. Key question is therefor: Is it better if an application does not open and display unsupported DNGs or does display unsupported DNGs with wrong color?

Can you colour correct without seriously degrading the image?

If not then both options and up with the same result and it just becomes a question of whether ignoriing the images of showing them but with unusability is the better user experience on balance. There is probably no definitive answer to that.

If the colour correction is possible and can be saved for consistent use using a Pre-Set then the open with wrong colour looks a better solution since is can, presumably, lead to a successful default opening with the correcting pre-set to be applied?

Grant
SFA

Postby Raymond4 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 am

Althought not the k-30. a further DNG related observation regarding my unsupported Ricoh A16:-

There were 'errors' in the colour balance settings, even though the results look fine and are very similar to that of Lightroom (supports A16):-

The color menu 'mode' presets, daylight, cloudy shade etc are way off and not usable.

I noticed that using the 'pick white balance' tool gave correct colour but had tint way offset at around 23 - approx 75% magenta. The 'shot' preset also had this magenta shift for a correct (as shot) looking image.

Ray
Raymond4

Postby Paul Silk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:44 pm

The question is have you put a request for the K30/K01 to be supported, the more that ask for it officially through support, the more chance there is of it being supported faster.

Complaining here is fine but will not make it happen unless you ask for it through support, it only takes a minute of your time ( I know because I asked for the K30 to be supported) and the more that ask the more likelyhood it will happen sooner than later hopefully. :)
Paul Silk

Postby Raymond4 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:53 pm

I commented as I found usable performance using v7 for Ricoh A16 (which I own) that v7 gave me that v6 did not. So i was encouraging K30 owners to trial v7 in case it worked better for them also.
I have already done a support request for A16. I hope other Ricoh GXR A12 owners create a support request for future decisions to add the A16 module. Like you I hope others ask for the K30/31 and for myself and other GXR owners, the A16.

Regards Ray
Raymond4

Postby PhaseZero » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:50 pm

SFA wrote:
PhaseZero wrote:Key question is therefor: Is it better if an application does not open and display unsupported DNGs or does display unsupported DNGs with wrong color?

Can you colour correct without seriously degrading the image?

If not then both options and up with the same result and it just becomes a question of whether ignoriing the images of showing them but with unusability is the better user experience on balance. There is probably no definitive answer to that.If the colour correction is possible and can be saved for consistent use using a Pre-Set then the open with wrong colour looks a better solution since is can, presumably, lead to a successful default opening with the correcting pre-set to be applied?

Hello Grant,
yes the colour can be corrected and the result is not perfect, but quite ok. I created a K-30 specific ICM color profile. See posting with topic "Make my own profile with ColorChecker":
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12769&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=icm+local
But... the drawback with CaptureOne v6.4.4 was then another bug. I could no longer make local adjustments after defining a color profile. I reported a bug about this, but gave up further investigation.

Paul Silk wrote:The question is have you put a request for the K30/K01 to be supported, the more that ask for it officially through support, the more chance there is of it being supported faster. Complaining here is fine but will not make it happen unless you ask for it through support, it only takes a minute of your time ( I know because I asked for the K30 to be supported) and the more that ask the more likelyhood it will happen sooner than later hopefully. :)

Thanks you Paul for reminder,
long ago I already spend the minute for a ticket requesting for K-30 support. I am not complaining and just waiting. Due to crash of my notebook, I have since yesterday a new desktop PC with Win7 with 2x2x2x2x2x2 = 64 bit. Yes, finally! So I certainly will start also with trials of C1 v7. I am only thinking about upgrading to Win8. Would this make sense for CaptureOne? Is there any principle benefit with Win8 for image processing? I found out already a couple of usability annoyances with Win8 vs. Win7, even if you switch back WIn8 to the old GUI.

Regards from Joseph
PhaseZero

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software