So Sloooow

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

So Sloooow

Postby NNN634277790610414266 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:58 pm

I still can't figure out how the developers managed to turn the fast and optimized CO 6 into a lazy, memory-consuming and still swapping piece of crap which the version 7 is.
Was it really meant to be a release and ready-to-sell version or just a (bad) joke. Or didn't you forgot to mark it as a beta (or more probably alpha)?
I really considered to upgrade to 7, but now I'm sure :/
NNN634277790610414266

Re: So Sloooow

Postby FStgt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 am

i wouldnt use such strong words, but can anybody from P1 jump in?
It seems to be so much slower then C1 6 was.

also is there a way one could disable the lens profiles by default? I know i can disable it later but we use lot of lenses and it gets tiring to change it every time a new adjustments are made.
FStgt

Postby Michael17 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 am

Well, one MAJOR improvement I have noticed is that multiple selections no longer slow down response in the way they used to. I have a hunch that someone realised that their algorithm had non-linear behaviour which meant that after a few files were selected the response became impossibly slow. They are obviously now using a linear algorithm as I can select up to 100 files will no ill effects.
Michael17

Postby Matt22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am

I'll have to echo this unfortunately. Having been a C1 user since v3 this is definately the slowest version when it's trying to do more than one thing at a time. By this I mean it used to be possible to process images in the background whilst still making adjustments to other images without a noticeable drop in performance. After processing a few jobs now in V7 sadly I can no longer do that. V7 is sooooo painfully slow if it's trying to process images in the background. The actual process speed seems ok (haven't really noticed much of a change) but its virtually impossible to multitask without getting frustrated.

V7 has a lot of very nice additions. Dear C1 peoples - Perhaps in a future update could we please have our multitasking speed back????????
Matt22

Postby FStgt » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:12 pm

I have had time to play with it for a while now and directly compare it to V6 on same set of files.

Processing speed seems ok, about same as it was and files seems to be better. I don't like new camera profiles, but it is probably only a time to get used to it.
What is actually slow is every change (for example exposure, white balance,...) takes sometimes 5+ seconds where on V6 it was instant.
It gets worse when there is some exporting on the background (low prio thread would help?), but even when not, it is painfully slow

It is little better when you disable automatic lens correction, and noise reduction, but still about 3 times (yes i measured it) slower then V6. I tried to select V6 engine but it seems about same.

For me is definitely image quality a priority and would be able to wait it out, but there seem to be no big difference, at least not that big to warrant this kind of processing speed.

Tested on both PCs, pretty decent machines with 4(8) core and 12(24) core CPUs.

On positive note, i did upgrade to V7, it lets me use V6 as well (thanks for that). I like the nicer highlight recovery rendering and more latitude on exposure correction (those two features alone makes up the price difference for me).
And thanks for little better vignetting correction. It is still graduated on single color backgrounds but better then it was.
FStgt

Return to Capture One 7.x Software