Phase One needs to Acknowledge the Bugs in 7

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Re: Phase One needs to Acknowledge the Bugs in 7

Postby dale11833 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:44 pm

[quote="NN176397UL2"]Hi,
I have been using CO7
it crashed on a regular basis. frustating..
HOWEVER
since I have the following settings...

Anzeige (eng -show?) :-Never
Verarbeiten: (eng-?) :-Never

Anyone know the english translation, in context to C1 7 ?

I noticed almost instant crashing in C1 7 when I opened a session and went into preferences, metadata, Auto Sync Sidecar XMP: and set it to "Full Sync". Not exactly sure what this does anyways. Please enlighten me, Thanks.

Is there a way to retain star ratings, or color tag ratings, on a RAW file rated in C1, and opened in Lightroom?
dale11833

Postby nggalai » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Dale,

Rupert is talking of the OpenCL settings found in:

CaptureOne -> Preferences -> General -> Hardware Acceleration.

Set both to „Never“ and check whether CO-7 works more stable than before. Depending on your hardware and drivers installed, OpenCL can be a tad flackey. Installing newer video drivers can work, too, but sometimes involves dealing with beta drivers by AMD or NVIDIA, so if disabling OpenCL acceleration works for you, this might be the preferable option.

Cheers,
-Sascha
nggalai

Postby Remko » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 pm

I am a bit surprised by some emotional postings I read here.

I bought C1 V6 early September this year and this week I upgraded to V7.
Yes, I ran into some issues and I am still trying to replicate them, as it can very well be user error on my part as well, before I will open a support case.
But most of us know (should know) that it is very common with an early release to have issues / bugs and that has nothing to do with lack of quality. It is simply impossible to test for all possible ways in which the software is used, let alone for all the various computers with different configurations out there. Of course we ran into issues the very first time we use a .0 release and wonder why it was not found before the software was released. That's how it is. If you do not want that for whatever reason, which is perfectly understandable, then wait a bit till most bugs are solved.

Adobe ran a public beta for LR 4 for an extended period of time which lots of people joined. And "even" their 4.0 release had some major issues, one of them being incredibly slow. I know as I was one of the early adopters of LR4.

It is all part of developing software, all software companies are facing this whether Apple, Adobe or Phase One. And believe me, it is not in their interest to release a new version when it has major issues.

To me it is not whether a new release has issues, but it is about the way a company handles the bug reports that counts. In the very short time I used C1 V6, I found the people of Phase One incredibly responsive, patiently and eager to help. I have not experienced that with any other software company and I do have some experience and quite some software installed. :wink:

Best to you all.

Remko Stibbe

Edit: corrected some typos
Last edited by Remko on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Remko

Postby Steven48 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 am

Remko wrote:I am a bit surprised by some emotional postings I read here.

Yes, I ran into some issues and I am still trying to replicate them, as it can very well be user error on my part as well, before I will open a support case.
But most of us know (should know) that it is very common with an early release to have issues / bugs and that has nothing to do with lack of quality. It is simply impossible to test for all possible ways in which the software is used, let alone for all the various computers with different configurations out there. Of course we ran into issues the very first time we use a .0 release and wonder why it was not found before the software was released. That's how it is. If you do not want that for what ever reason, which is perfectly understandable, then wait a bit till most bugs are solved.

Adobe ran a public beta for LR 4 for an extended period of time which lots of people joined. And "even" there 4.0 release had some major issues, one of them being incredibly slow. I know as I was one of the early adopters of LR4.

It is all part of developing software, all software companies are facing this wheher Apple, Adobe or Phase One. And believe me, it is not in their interest to release a new version when it has major issues.

To me it is not whether a new release has issues, but it is about the way a company handles the bug reports that counts. In the very short time I used C1 V6, I found the people of Phase One incredibly responsive, patiently and eager to help. I have not experienced that with any other software company and I do have some experience and quite some software installed. :wink:

Best to you all.

Remko Stibbe

Very well said.
If Phaseone is looking for another configuration of hardware, different way (even if it's only slightly) of using the software and a modestly experienced person to test something, they know where to find me. If not, I'm fine with that too. Either way I'm happy using their product and will report any major issues if/when I find them. :)
Steven48

Postby Michael4111 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 am

I am not sure if my experience fits here or not, but let me express it anyway.

I recently downloaded C7, although I am not all that knowledgeable with C6.

I shot into C6 a few weeks ago, and after reading how C7 would give me better results, I chose to process those C6 captures in C7. In both cases, all parameters were set the same, and we found that at first blush, the C7 processed file had a better quality and finer detail to it. We then processed the same file a second time and got significant artifacts in the file.

We were advised by Phase to turn off the option which allowed processing on the GPU as opposed to the CPU. This immediately solved the artifact problem, but instead another issue arose. Our newly processed C7 file had lost quality and now was not as good as the earlier C6 file. We processed again, and got yet different results.

I am unhappy because I was impressed with my initial results from C7 and now the results are inconsistent. Bottom line, there are issues with C7 that we can't pin down, while C6 was working fine.

If anyone has any further thoughts, I would like to hear them...thanks.
Michael4111

Postby Phil12 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:47 pm

But most of us know (should know) that it is very common with an early release to have issues / bugs and that has nothing to do with lack of quality. It is simply impossible to test for all possible ways in which the software is used, let alone for all the various computers with different configurations out there. Of course we ran into issues the very first time we use a .0 release and wonder why it was not found before the software was released. That's how it is. If you do not want that for whatever reason, which is perfectly understandable, then wait a bit till most bugs are solved.

Adobe ran a public beta for LR 4 for an extended period of time which lots of people joined. And "even" their 4.0 release had some major issues, one of them being incredibly slow. I know as I was one of the early adopters of LR4.

It is all part of developing software, all software companies are facing this whether Apple, Adobe or Phase One. And believe me, it is not in their interest to release a new version when it has major issues.

Best to you all.

Remko Stibbe

The emotionalism comes not from simply the difficulties of CO7 crashing all the time, but in how they treat customers. People who bought C6 31 days prior to the release are screwed, especially those who bought Express. Plop down $99 and then to upgrade is AN ADDITIONAL $250???!!! (Express CO has been discontinued). If you bought it 29 days ago, no charge to upgrade!!! This SUCKS!! The free upgrade option should have been extended to at least 3 months.

I've been using C1 since version 3, some 5 or 6 years, and this sucks. I'm done with C1. Going with DxO Pro Optics. MUCH better quality conversions; sharpening is WAY better, I mean WAY WAY better, noise reduction is as good as Noise Ninja or Neat Image which means I don't have to pay for 2nd party software anymore. Not to mention lens and body corrections... Color is perfect, program doesn't choke while images are either downloading or using an external HD. Plus, it's only $200 for NEW customers. Y'all have a nice day trying to untangle this mess with functionality, I'm moving on with something that actually works...
Phil12

Postby Alxy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Yes, it crashes, but it is better than version 6. With an SSD equipped computer it starts back in a second. For me the crashes are random and I can continue to work from where I left off.
Alxy

Postby Nick64 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:23 am

Phil12,

Good to hear you've found DxO Pro Optics. Does it have tethered capture ?

Phil12 wrote:
I've been using C1 since version 3, some 5 or 6 years, and this sucks. I'm done with C1. Going with DxO Pro Optics. MUCH better quality conversions; sharpening is WAY better, I mean WAY WAY better, noise reduction is as good as Noise Ninja or Neat Image which means I don't have to pay for 2nd party software anymore. Not to mention lens and body corrections... Color is perfect, program doesn't choke while images are either downloading or using an external HD. Plus, it's only $200 for NEW customers. Y'all have a nice day trying to untangle this mess with functionality, I'm moving on with something that actually works...
Nick64
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Phil12 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:37 am

Nick64 wrote:Phil12,

Good to hear you've found DxO Pro Optics. Does it have tethered capture ?

Phil12 wrote:

I doubt it. i have the "elite" version and I have not seen any reference to it...
Phil12

Postby NN634685736257195808UL » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Best to you all.

Remko Stibbe

"Its all a part of developing software"?? I wish I could say that when my product sucks! People expect more from P1. Even from the .0 release. I did not make the switch to C1 so that I could have the same problems that LR has.

The emotion stems from the fact that most C1 users came over from another raw converter at some point, with hopes to improve their work in one way or another. I came over 18 months ago primarily because of the superior color rendering. But... v6 has its fair share of problems. I was in desperate need of an overhaul of C1v6 to remain a P1 client, which is exactly what v7 promised, and has not delivered.

This is the culmination of months of frustration for some. Hence the emotional response.
NN634685736257195808UL

Postby rave81 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:21 am

I think Phasone should changed their description of CO7 PRO "Capture One Pro 7 is the world’s best raw converter rendering precise colors and incredible detail with support for leading high-end cameras. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast performance in one customizable solution."

I don't consider this anymore as best raw software because of the following:

very unstable to use
CRASHES!!!
Color maybe, but Aperture 3 has same colour rendering of co7 pro
fast performance I disagree with this, how can it be a fast performance if it always crashes, so in the end it slows down our post processing workflow.
Very slow to preview images in catalogue.

PHASEONE I suggest you release RC version of the update you are developing co 7 pro, this way you will have real time response to people who uses co 7 pro. This is the how adobe fix most of the problems of LR4....
rave81

Previous

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software