Open CL disabled - performance difference

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Open CL disabled - performance difference

Postby bwinter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:04 am

Hi there,

I disabled the Open CL support just for testing and because I got some corrupted preview thumbs once in a while, but I cannot expirience any worser performance or anything like that copmared to enabled Open CL.
It more seems to me as C1 is more stable and faster now. I'm not sure, if it is just a "feeling" but the reaction and refresh time, when I'm using tools like the loupe etc. seems to me better.
Is there any disadvantage when leaving Open CL off for display and processing? Is there any quality difference in the output or in the screen display?

thanks in advance
Greetings
Bernhard
bwinter

Re: Open CL disabled - performance difference

Postby nggalai » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:14 am

Morning, Bernhard,

I see you posted this in the Mac forum. According to the release notes (click “Documentation” here: http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Capture-One-7.aspx), CO-7 doesn’t support OpenCL with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion. Still, on my 10.8 Mac I find the same points you mention (loupe view etc.) speedier if I disable OpenCL by hand. Weird.

So, question: What OSX version do you run CaptureOne on?

Cheers,
-Sascha
nggalai

Postby bwinter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:21 am

Yeah, I'm using Mountain Lion, but why isn't that stated in the system requirements?. You have to read the documentation till page 15 to find that information, without your reply I would not have noticed that in any way.
OK, I'm not really the type of guy, who really reads user manuals ;-)

Thanks for that info, so I leave it disabled
bwinter

Postby rap_digital » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am

I see substantial benefits to having OpenCL enabled in both processing and preview generation on my 10.7.4 systems that have either Gtx285 or Q4000 GPU's. Less significant benefits on 10.7.4 laptops with amd GPU.
rap_digital

Postby bwinter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:16 am

But I suggest your benefits are just in regards to speed because as far as I would suggest, Open GL has no affect to the quality of the images shown on the screen or on processed pics?
bwinter

Postby rap_digital » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:57 pm

yeah sorry Bernhard, didnt read the final sentence... OpenCL dosent effect quality
rap_digital

Postby bwinter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks mate :-)
bwinter

Return to Capture One 7.x Software