MP catalog import fails

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

MP catalog import fails

Postby NNN634320717969338257 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:41 pm

As one of my preliminary tests I imported my existing Media Pro catalog into C1 V7. There were nothing else in C1 before that (I use C1 V6). Import ceased when some 1700 images were imported and a message "Import completed..." was given by C1 V7. However, there are more than 10x more images in that catalog (and I can see those in C1 V6)!

Any idea what could be the problem?

B.r: Mark
NNN634320717969338257

Re: MP catalog import fails

Postby pkurhieuyr » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi there,
Same for me. Explanation? Poor software engineering. What else? Well, maybe some more excuses from P1.
pkurhieuyr

Postby NNN634320717969338257 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 am

Ok. Thus far (when using CO6 and Media Pro) MP has been the house of horror. Now it is difficult to say which one (MP or CO7) is here failing.

I was curious to trial CO7 as I read some info about DAM-features in CO7 (and I had a shy wish, if those could modestly replace MP in e.g. keywording of images). Now I know that answer is no. CO7 has some nice filters (heritaged outlook and use from MP) but entering keywords and categories is as lousy as in CO6.

CO7 has many improvements over CO6 in raw conversion and image processing I believe. But that was not in my priority at all. I would have just been satisfied with what is in CO6, if only the software stability (in the first hand in Media Pro ) could be improved. I think here PhaseOne is not hitting the target from customer´s point of view.

-Mark
NNN634320717969338257

Postby pkurhieuyr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:42 am

Miss the target, hit the customer....
pkurhieuyr

Postby NNN634320717969338257 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:54 pm

pkurhieuyr wrote:Miss the target, hit the customer....

..and you hit the point... :D
NNN634320717969338257

Postby Knud Erik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:30 pm

I have had many issues with both MP and CO 7 - it is pretty troblesome, and also because you first have to pass the support before you get to the development staff. The support alwas first expect you to do it wrong and ask for all the settings and handling you mostly have done. I would not mind to be a beta tester, but the system must then be more ready to see many of the issues as potential bugs.

The last issue:
I have just imported 6500 photos to a catalogue in MP. More than 300 of the photos had ratings and colour tag, only about 10 ratings were displayed in MP.

Knud Erik
Knud Erik

Postby pkurhieuyr » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi K.,
Try a Action-> Rebuild item. This solves most of the import problems. Let it do overnight for thousands of images...

F.
pkurhieuyr

Postby Knud Erik » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:34 pm

pkurhieuyr wrote:Hi K.,
Try a Action-> Rebuild item. This solves most of the import problems. Let it do overnight for thousands of images...

F.

Hi F.

Thank you for your advice. I this case it does not work. None of the ratings are displayed after I have rebuilt them.

I have found a workaround to get them displayed.
I have reloaded the metadata for the photos in C7, and then had them synced from Media Pro. Then I suddenly get all the ratings and colour tags in Media Pro. Strange but I works - and it must be a bug that this workaround is necessary

Knud Erik
Knud Erik

Postby NNN634320717969338257 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Knud Erik wrote:
pkurhieuyr wrote:Hi K.,

F.

Hi F.

Thank you for your advice. I this case it does not work. None of the ratings are displayed after I have rebuilt them.

I have found a workaround to get them displayed.
I have reloaded the metadata for the photos in C7, and then had them synced from Media Pro. Then I suddenly get all the ratings and colour tags in Media Pro. Strange but I works - and it must be a bug that this workaround is necessary

Knud Erik

This is what I have experienced (that is only part of it) since I started using MP in the beginning of last year. I feel I have used all my free time in fighting with all stupid beta level software problems that I am not at all interested to do, instead of concentrating what I am interested in: photography. I think both MP and CO are not at all mature commercial products but the manufacturer uses customers to beta test this scrap. I know all this talk about "support cases". I have done those good amount but not so much help at the end. It is hard to understand PO´s politics in hiding those solutions from all other users although there are so many struggling with same failures.

I think if the basement is rotten no new floor will improve a building at all, on the contrary, it will make things worse. I think CO7 now more and more reveals all problems what MP has and this will not help CO7.

I have to say I am done with this software. I have now started to actively look around for another DAM software and thus far have recognized iMatch which is currently in trials. Could anybody in this forum suggest any other DAM software?

Here again things have been made the most difficult in MP: it uses non-standard use of XMP- and IPTC-structure which makes difficult to migrate keywords and categories into other software, of course.

-Mark
NNN634320717969338257

Postby pkurhieuyr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:39 am

Hi Mark,

MP is, IMHO, the best compromise one has today. Try IDimager PhotoSupreme which is reviewed as one of the best and most comprehensive DAM environment.

The hard part is that P1 offers a "closed pack": C1 with best RAW image processing engine, "integrated" with MP the best tool-to-be (cause it is not yet A tool). One must admit that P1 products get better in time, not at our desired pace, but C1/MP in 2012 is a better product then a year ago, with other bugs...

It is like doing the best film prints from slides, but one hates to process the films with chemicals or to send it to a lab with uncontrolled results. What to do? Let's go digital. But the final quality is much less. So... I say, humbly, wet your fingers, if quality is all that matters. For me quality is all that matters.

F.
pkurhieuyr

Postby NNN634320717969338257 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:24 pm

pkurhieuyr wrote:Hi Mark,

MP is, IMHO, the best compromise one has today. Try IDimager PhotoSupreme which is reviewed as one of the best and most comprehensive DAM environment.

The hard part is that P1 offers a "closed pack": C1 with best RAW image processing engine, "integrated" with MP the best tool-to-be (cause it is not yet A tool). One must admit that P1 products get better in time, not at our desired pace, but C1/MP in 2012 is a better product then a year ago, with other bugs...

It is like doing the best film prints from slides, but one hates to process the films with chemicals or to send it to a lab with uncontrolled results. What to do? Let's go digital. But the final quality is much less. So... I say, humbly, wet your fingers, if quality is all that matters. For me quality is all that matters.

F.

Hi pkurhieuyr,

Yes, I very much agree with you and I believe some of problem,s may be there due to reason that different systems (win/mac or win 1/ win 2 etc) are not running exactly in same way. User interface in MP and now in CO7 is very clever: easy to use and understand.

But I feel that I cannot afford spending so much time with all software problem solving instead of managing what I want to do in photographing and getting forward in it. I preferably rely on and live with something simpler just not to be stucked with software problems (what has now happened is that since last summer I have just piled up thousands of images just waiting for tagging and archieving, because I have expected some updates and support cases will solve those problems I have had).

All what has happened with MP and CO have influenced on my workflow (and all is not that bad at all) but it is hard to work fluetly if you have dozens of not-to-dos to remember in order not to hit with some bug in your software. And, anyway something causes crashes and it is very hard task afterwards to check what is as expected or not.

Your comparison to wet processing is nice, I agree. I belive I´ll stay with CO in spite of any alternative would replace MP.

-Mark
NNN634320717969338257

Return to Capture One 7.x Software