Feature: Adjust Selected Layer

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Feature: Adjust Selected Layer

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:47 am

Issue
Tools seems not to work in adjustments layers, only for the entire image. CO7 brings some changes under the hood. Let's take a look for your advantage.

Local Adjustments
With Capture One 6 (CO6) local adjustments were introduced. In up to 5 additional layers you could brush local areas and apply adjustments, apart from the global adjustments for the entire image.

Using tools with layers
Only a subset of tools are available in CO6's local adjustments. I will call them the layer tools, in contrast to the non-layer tools which only apply globally (=entire frame). See the Local Adjustments tool tab with all layer tools below.

Once you had made a layer and selected it, you could not apply any global adjustment, either with layer tools or the non-layer tools. You had to switch back to the Background layer first. When returning back to your layer, you had to remember which you were busy with before you went to the Background layer.

Note that the layer tools on the Local Adjustments tool tab were identical in function to the same tools on other tabs, adding no extra value.

New in Capture One 7
With Capture One 7 (CO7) two new features were introduced for the adjustment layers regarding layer and non-layer tools (besides other features like Gradient Mask, Fill Mask, Auto Mask, Opacity and max. of 10 layers).
First, the non-layer tools are ALWAYS active globally, no matter which layer is active. As a result you do not have to switch back to the Background layer to use tool like Vignetting, Black & White or Crop, to name just a few. Just stay in Layer 1, 2,.. 10 and adjust globally.
Second - and this is the confusing part - the layer tools now can either work locally or globally. The key here is the toggle "Adjust Selected Layer".

Adjust Selected Layer (ASL)
With CO7 all layer tools can have the ASL feature switched on or off. If OFF, the tool will always work globally, whether or not a layer is selected. If ON, the tool will work on the selected layer, like in CO6.
You can recognize the status by the little brush symbol on the tool's titlebar. At the right of these tool's titlebar you can open the context menu and set ASL. On the Local Adjustments tool tab, all tools have ASL switched on. Their siblings on other tool tabs have it switched off.

Switching between layer and background
Now you have the possibility to adjust the background while leaving the layer selected and adjust the layer again. You either switch the ASL mode of the tool to the desired state or you go to the tool's sibling on another tool tab.

What you like
If this ASL feature does not work for you (I suggest, give it a try) always put it ON on all layer tools and switch the layer back and forth. This is how it worked with CO6. Save the new state in a Workspace and you're set.

PS: with CO7 you always have the advantage of using any non-layer tool without the need to switch back and forth between an adjustment layer and the Background layer.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Feature: Adjust Selected Layer

Postby ronaldnztan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Thanks Paul.

Hopefully new users to C1PRO7 or preexisting users will read your thread. The first time I opened C1PRO7, I was annoyed until I figured out the new way of doing local adjustments.

—Ronald
ronaldnztan
photographer

Social

http://ronaldnztan.com
http://blog.ronaldnztan.com
[urlhttps://facebook.com/ronaldnztan.photographer[/url]
ronaldnztan

Postby Ellen12 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks so much! I couldn't figure out what support meant. The pictures really help!
Ellen12

Postby mikeski76 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 pm

I cannot batch images with local adjustments. They have to be done one at a time. Is anyone else having this issuse?

Win7 64b
C1 V7
mikeski76

Postby NNN635524459206487341 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:27 pm

all my image editing tolls are always diabled all the tools example white balance color balance,exposure and color editing
what should I do help me out.Whenever I try to select the picker it is showing that "This works with active adjustments layer only" what should I do for this to get solved
NNN635524459206487341

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:08 pm

NNN635524459206487341 wrote:all my image editing tolls are always diabled all the tools example white balance color balance,exposure and color editing
what should I do help me out.Whenever I try to select the picker it is showing that "This works with active adjustments layer only" what should I do for this to get solved

Please start a new thread to get proper attention for your issue. Start the thread in the proper subforum (if you are using CO7 Windows, you are in the right forum but I am not sure from your description and is relevant).

You might explain more about what you are doing, if a layer is selected. In particular your version of Capture One is relevant.

Hope this help in helping you.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 7.x Software