Upgrade Engine for Primary Variant???

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Upgrade Engine for Primary Variant???

Postby Maggie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:43 am

Why do I have to upgrade engine for primary variant under Base Characteristics in the Color section? I mean I want to use the new engine for every image I don't want to tell it every time that I want to use the new engine every time. Anyone one know what is up with that?
Maggie12

Re: Upgrade Engine for Primary Variant???

Postby NNN634439311409249401 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 am

You can set the default rendering engine in the preferences. Not sure why yours is defaulting to a previous version though, mine stated using 7 from installation.
NNN634439311409249401

Postby Steven48 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Mine is also defaulting to version 6 engine. At the moment it doesn't bother me because I am watching how my images change as I update them. I will change it in preferences soon so all will automatically change, but for the time being in my playing stage I'm enjoying watching them update.
Steven48

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 pm

There are two different issues here.

One is how CO7 handles images with adjustments of earlier versions of CO. If this is the case, it will use the CO6 engine. The reason for this is that upgrading to the CO7 engine could (and probably would) change the image. CO will not do that without your consent.

The other issue is how CO7 will handle new images, that is without adjustments. This you can set in the preferences and is set to CO7 engine by default.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Steven48 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Paul_E wrote:There are two different issues here.

One is how CO7 handles images with adjustments of earlier versions of CO. If this is the case, it will use the CO6 engine. The reason for this is that upgrading to the CO7 engine could (and probably would) change the image. CO will not do that without your consent.

The other issue is how CO7 will handle new images, that is without adjustments. This you can set in the preferences and is set to CO7 engine by default.

Ohhh....so what your saying is, no matter how you have your preferences set up, if the images have been edited in C1 6 they will not automatically convert to the new engine. Manually only. The preference setting is for new imports only?
Steven48

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:12 pm

Steven48 wrote:

Ohhh....so what your saying is, no matter how you have your preferences set up, if the images have been edited in C1 6 they will not automatically convert to the new engine. Manually only. The preference setting is for new imports only?

Correct.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Steven48 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Thank you so much for the clarification Paul.
Steven48

Postby HCS » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:14 pm

So, to the OP, the trick to get all images updated to the new engine should be becoming rather clear now ?!

Make an adjustment in a parameter you never (or hardly ever) use, then copy and apply to all your images. Then, once done (this could take a while :mrgreen: ), reverse this update (manually) and copy and apply to all images (what do you reckon, this could take a while again).

Then, as a result, all your images have been updated/upgraded to the new processing engine.

Make sure to have some coffee handy. Ah well, you will probably have enough time to make some coffee while you system re-renders the images (don't know how many we're talking about).

Good luck ! Who knows P1 will actually offer the option to upgrade selected images to the new engine without this trick.

BTW, this action is irreversible, so have some backup ready.
HCS

Postby Maggie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Paul_E wrote:
Steven48 wrote:

Correct.

Except that I never edited these images in C1 v6. I did create the session in C1 v6.
Maggie12

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Maggie12 wrote:
Paul_E wrote:
Steven48 wrote:Ohhh....so what your saying is, no matter how you have your preferences set up, if the images have been edited in C1 6 they will not automatically convert to the new engine. Manually only. The preference setting is for new imports only?

Correct.

Except that I never edited these images in C1 v6. I did create the session in C1 v6.

It is not necessary to have edited the images. Only opening images will create *.cos files in the Settings50 sub folder and CO7 will recognize that as been opened in an earlier version. What you can do to speed up the process is to remove the Settings50 sub folders (or their parent Capture One folder in de images folder) and CO7 will it handle as NEW untouched files and apply the CO7 engine right away.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby HCS » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:32 pm

Good point Paul !

But, then you loose the settings on the images which are compatible with the new engine. In other words, you'd have to start anew, while otherwise you're starting close(r) to what you had been doing to it with the CO6 engine.

Anyway, good to know the various options to getting your images to the CO7 engine.
HCS

Postby Maggie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Paul_E wrote:It is not necessary to have edited the images. Only opening images will create *.cos files in the Settings50 sub folder and CO7 will recognize that as been opened in an earlier version. What you can do to speed up the process is to remove the Settings50 sub folders (or their parent Capture One folder in de images folder) and CO7 will it handle as NEW untouched files and apply the CO7 engine right away.

I deleted Settings50 in HD-->user-->Pictures-->Session Name-->Output and it is still showing me v6 engine
Maggie12

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Maggie12 wrote:
Paul_E wrote:It is not necessary to have edited the images. Only opening images will create *.cos files in the Settings50 sub folder and CO7 will recognize that as been opened in an earlier version. What you can do to speed up the process is to remove the Settings50 sub folders (or their parent Capture One folder in de images folder) and CO7 will it handle as NEW untouched files and apply the CO7 engine right away.

I deleted Settings50 in HD-->user-->Pictures-->Session Name-->Output and it is still showing me v6 engine

Maggie,
Two remarks.

First:
CO6 creates the Settings50 folder with *.cos files. When you open them in CO7, it will do two things.
a) copy all settings to a Settings70 folder
b) apply the CO6 engine
To get a situation which CO7 regards as NEW (and apply the CO7 engine per preference setting) you should delete both the Settings50 and Settings70 folder. Sorry I did not mention that in my earlier post.

Second:
Not per se relevant, but is it the Output folder of your session that you are viewing in CO7?
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Maggie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Paul_E wrote:
Maggie12 wrote:

Maggie,
Two remarks.

First:
CO6 creates the Settings50 folder with *.cos files. When you open them in CO7, it will do two things.
a) copy all settings to a Settings70 folder
b) apply the CO6 engine
To get a situation which CO7 regards as NEW (and apply the CO7 engine per preference setting) you should delete both the Settings50 and Settings70 folder. Sorry I did not mention that in my earlier post.

Second:
Not per se relevant, but is it the Output folder of your session that you are viewing in CO7?

No, I am not viewing the Output folder but that's the only place I found Settings50 folder
Maggie12

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Maggie, please go to the folder(s) with images you view in CO7 and which are not having the CO7 engine, but the CO6 engine. Check in these image folder for Settings50 and Settings70 sub folders in the Capture One folder of the respective image folder.

Only if you did NOT make any adjustments with CO6 (or earlier) you can safely remove both Settings50 and Settings70 sub folders. Next, CO7 should open them as NEW and apply the CO7 engine (assuming that is what you have set in the Preferences).
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Next

Return to Capture One 7.x Software