CRASH, CRASH and MORE CRASHES

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

CRASH, CRASH and MORE CRASHES

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Ok, this is just a very bad release. Get nothing but crashes. Was able to use it for about 3 hours, but now get nothing but crashes. It comes up, goes for a few min, some times I can scroll through the pictures. It is loosing the ratings of the pictures.

I know they probably wanted to release it for photo plus, but I don't think it is ready for prime time, should of just announced it and did a little more work on it.

I hope my edits are on the pictures are there, If I can every get it to run for longer than a few min to try to get them out.
PhaseoneUser55657

Re: CRASH, CRASH and MORE CRASHES

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Finally got it to come up and least for the little bit of time that I tried it.

Blew away all previous session, some preferences.

Tried to create a catalog, but when importing, would load so many that crash. (Gave up on this).

Created a new session, created one album, and dragged the files into that album.

Seemed to work. Lost ?SOME? but not all ratings.

Going through trying to set the rating back, I would mark one item a 1 star, and the ratings on a picture that I had just stared vanished. (Makes it tough to set the ratings.) Slowing way down, and giving the system a few seconds between settings the ratings seemed to allow me to set the ratings. I hope they stay.

Now, during all of this I had activity monitor running. At the end Capture One 7 was using 1.7Gig of memory, and had a steady 50% usage going. Which is a lot better than at one point was up to 790%, (Had all 8 processors going) before it crashed. 1.7Gig of memory usage is really a lot. Now I cannot say what 6 used, never had an issue to look at it. But with 1 album, that contained 400 pictures seems like a lot. What is it doing keeping full size previews in memory.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:04 pm

Finally got it to come up and least for the little bit of time that I tried it.

Blew away all previous session, some preferences.

Tried to create a catalog, but when importing, would load so many than crash. (Gave up on this).

Created a new session, created one album, and dragged the files into that album.

Seemed to work. Lost ?SOME? but not all ratings.

Going through trying to set the rating back, I would mark one item a 1 star, and the ratings on a picture that I had just stared vanished. (Makes it tough to set the ratings.) Slowing way down, and giving the system a few seconds between settings the ratings seemed to allow me to set the ratings. I hope they stay.

Now, during all of this I had activity monitor running. At the end Capture One 7 was using 1.7Gig of memory, and had a steady 50% usage going. Which is a lot better than at one point was up to 790%, (Had all 8 processors going) before it crashed. 1.7Gig of memory usage is really a lot. Now I cannot say what 6 used, never had an issue to look at it. But with 1 album, that contained 400 pictures seems like a lot. What is it doing keeping full size previews in memory.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby NNN634439311409249401 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:10 pm

It now runs fine on my 2008 Mac Pro with only 6 Gb RAM. No crashes and no slow downs since I binned the Capture One folder in the Library. Had a few problems before this. Relaunching the app (after binning this folder) forced the app to re-create this folder and happy days ever since.

This new version is actually very, very good. Everyone's machine has some unseen baggage that could possibly affect a new install. Its not necessarily the new app's fault. I suspect my problems stemmed from an earlier version install, but all working fine now.

What machine, OS, RAM, etc are you working with?
NNN634439311409249401

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Ya, after removing all the CO6 stuff, and re-doing new sessions, it has not crashed on me in the last few hours. Though it sucks that I have to recreate all my sessions. At least is seems like the edits stay, but might possibly loose some ratings.

I have not tried using the Catalog feature again. As I would never put the pictures in the Catalog, as I use CO[67], LR4, and Aperture for editing, so still learning what that would give me over just Sessions.

Well, hoping that this is just a little teething pain with new software, and it is better that the initial experience.

Robert

P.S. running iMac 27", 16Gig Ram.
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby NNN634439311409249401 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Aye, teething problems indeed. I'm over mine and hopefully the same for you.

I imported some old shots from Venice this afternoon and am still astonished by the level of improved detail, clarity and testiculashenanegins that 7 is giving me.

Good luck naturally, but I urge you to work through any initial pain, it been worth it for me.
NNN634439311409249401

Postby Steven48 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:06 pm

PhaseoneUser55657 wrote:.As I would never put the pictures in the Catalog, as I use CO[67], LR4, and Aperture for editing, so still learning what that would give me over just Sessions.

As a person that uses LR4 along with C1, what is your work flow? I to use both and I'm working on a system, but would be interested to know how others are using these programs together. Especially since they definitely don't talk to each other.
Steven48

Postby Jimmy D Uptain » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:41 am

My particular workflow is as follows:

Ingest, sort, and cull using Photo Mechanic.

Edit with C1, and/or export to Photoshop CS6 depending on the circumstance.

Send edited and Raw files to Lightroom for cataloging and printing. I sometimes edit in Lightroom if it seems to be the best option for a particular photo.

I haven't tried C1's new cataloging , but I'll take a wait and see attitude.
Jimmy D Uptain

Postby jd-photography » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:08 pm

Steven48 wrote:As a person that uses LR4 along with C1, what is your work flow? I to use both and I'm working on a system, but would be interested to know how others are using these programs together. Especially since they definitely don't talk to each other.

I also use LR and C1 together, LR for all kind of sorting, C1 for converting my raw-files. After doing the initial selections I use the Open Directly PlugIn (10€) to handover the files from LR to C1. Moving means that the cursor is pointing to the file in Capture One, no duplicate will be created. When moving more than one picture to C1 Open Directly creates a new session favorite with all the images contained. This workflow works fine for me.

Regards,
Joerg
Kind regards,
Joerg
jd-photography

Postby Jimmy D Uptain » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I also use LR and C1 together, LR for all kind of sorting, C1 for converting my raw-files. After doing the initial selections I use the Open Directly PlugIn (10€) to handover the files from LR to C1. Moving means that the cursor is pointing to the file in Capture One, no duplicate will be created. When moving more than one picture to C1 Open Directly creates a new session favorite with all the images contained. This workflow works fine for me.

Regards,
Joerg[/quote]

Now that is a slick plugin!

I have been sending copies the originals back to C1, then have to remember to delete the originals so LR would allow me to reimport them. Gonna check it out.
Jimmy D Uptain

Postby jd-photography » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Sysyphus wrote:Now that is a slick plugin!

I have been sending copies the originals back to C1, then have to remember to delete the originals so LR would allow me to reimport them. Gonna check it out.

Thats exactly what I did before I have learned about Open Directly. The trick is that Open Directly does not create a copy from the original file in Lightroom, but opens C1 and shows the image within the C1 library. It just hands over the image name and the selected image appears directly in C1. As mentioned before when selecting more than one image in LR the PlugIn creates a session favorite with all the selected images in C1. That helps me a lot because I do not have to deal with duplicated files.

After tagging, flagging and working through all of my images of a shooting day in LR I send all selected files to C1 for doing the raw conversion. Using this way I can benefit from the great library tool within LR and the fantastic image rendering of Capture One at one time. I just found out that Open Directly costs now 19€ or 24$, but can be tested without any charge. The free copy however does only handover a maximum of 4 images at a time.

Regards,
Joerg
Kind regards,
Joerg
jd-photography

Postby Steven48 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Thank you for your workflow. Never heard of the Open Directly Plugin before. Will check that out.

I have figured out that you can do your sorting, however you want in Lr to narrow down. Then once you are narrowed down you can give your picks star ratings (only method I've tried at the moment, but in theory color labels should work too). Hit cmd(cntl) + s to save the metadata to xmp files. Then in C1 navigate to that folder and C1 should read those xmp files and reflect the ratings. If it doesn't you can select all and right click on a image to get the contextual menu and select load metadata. Once you show the star ratings that were given in Lr it is a simple process to show only those images in C1 and do your edits.

Haven't worked extensively with this process to date, twice to be exact (just dreamed it up last night). I feel I will end up tweaking this process, but at the moment it seems to be working.
Steven48

Postby NN176397UL2 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:54 am

Hello,
interesting..
My Work flow was and would like it to carry on as such....

Import using Photo Mechanic, do all Metadata and culling, rating, renaming etc in Photo Mechanic 5
Create two folders One "Selects" one "Trash"..
Open C1-7 here I have one standard Session where all current work is...Do Adjustments in "Selects" folder, when doing this I sometimes change the ratings (in the past Photo Mechanic 5 kept up live with the changes of Ratings). Now with C7 the communication /synchronization seems not to work, as all well... ANY one who can help me here would be much be much appreciated...

By the way the App crashed about ten times yesterday! During Export / Local Adjustments / even Doing nothing!
Rupert
Mac OS X 10.6.8
2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
NN176397UL2

Postby Ed12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Saturday morning I upgraded to 7. I had about 600 images in a folder that had to be processed rush before going out of town.

After an hour I figured out how to go to Session and access the folder of images as I always have, and I got the screen configured (didn't see a way to select "use screen setup you created in 6" as in past).

But I finally got going. Most of my images had been shot at iso 5000. I was thrilled with the look of the output. RAW conversions made it look like I had traded my 1D IV's for maybe X's.

FORTUNATELY after making adjustments (white bal, exp/contrast/sharpening/curves etc) to about 300 images I began processing those in background. then i returned to making adjustments to remaining 300 or so...along the way CO crashed. I used to have crashes frequently 2-3 yrs ago (maybe in 4 or 5?) but unlike in yrs past when I re-started CO all the images were back to default--none of my adjustments had been retained. IF I had not set those images to processing in background I would have lost 2-3 hrs of work. So I only had to re-do settings for about 50...The CO/cashe/Settings70 folders are there and all the cos files are there but CO did not see them.

Now it's 2 days later. I have returned from business trip and this morning CO will not Open at all. I get a msg "CO will not open-1712"

I suppose I will delete the program and download and start all over? Then it is likely to happen again? (update--I just went to Finder and selected CO7 application and tried to "Move to Trash" to delete it and re-install. But I get a msg that says "You cannot Move to Trash because appliation is OPEN! But if it's open it is invisible! shoot me! Update#2--I had to Force Quit, then I got msg saying CO had crashed and did I want to Send a Report. I have restarted and it is working. I will set images to processing in background in hopes I don't lose a lot of my work) In recent yrs new versions have been a piece of cake for me so I went for it asap. But now 6 has been replaced by 7 on my system and I fear I'm in for more pain......(there's an idea, maybe I can re-install 6 and use it for a few weeks until these issues get resolved?

fwiw, I am on a Mac. I Ingest and filename w/ Photo Mechanic......also, when it crashed it was trying to generate previews but was taking forever to do so......I think the msg said something like "generating 170 previews, will take 7 minutes........"

SUMMARY of PROS: The new files are excellent, I love the new Highlight/Shadows tool, clarity improvement, and the THANK YOU CO that I can finally drag the crop when it touches edge of image.

SUMMARY OF CONS: Crashes, does not find Settings made previously when re-opened (is there a way to get CO to see the cos files???).
Ed
Ed12

Postby HCS » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:44 pm

If you're having problems with CO7, then just re-install CO6. Works just fine. I did.
HCS

Next

Return to Capture One 7.x Software