Colour output question (Solved)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Colour output question (Solved)

Postby NFG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:40 am

I have this problem with every new software I try, but I thought I was getting good at sorting it on my own.

Basically, what I see while editing isn't what I get when I process the image. For example, this image shows a beautiful girl in a Capture One screenshot (right) and a sickly greenish girl in the resulting JPG output (left): http://nfgworld.com/grafx/throwaway/captureone.jpg

I went searching through the forums, and in V6 it seems that what I see on the screen should be a proof that matches the output recipe, but it doesn't look right. As discussed here.

What do I need to know?

UPDATE: Fixed (see post 3, below). Basically, the system-wide setting is sRGB, and spitting out JPGs in aRGB from COne was causing grief for apps that weren't prepared to adjust to the new colourspace. Changing the output recipe to sRGB fixed the problem.
Last edited by NFG on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
NFG

Re: Colour output question

Postby ben43456 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:03 am

How are you viewing the jpegs?
ben43456

Postby NFG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 am

Something twigged when you asked that, and it turns out one of my apps was viewing them fine (PaintShop Pro X) and another (my primary fast-loading image viewer, FastStone) was not. Turning on the 'colorspace aware' option in FastStone fixed it, but I guess that begs the next question: Why were images from Lightroom and Aftershot viewable everywhere in proper colour, but images from COne were not?

Answered it myself: Saving the pic with Adobe RGB causes grief, using sRGB works fine globally.

And now my next question, which is sort of something I wrestle with at a philosophical level ever time I consider colour management, is: what's best for the users who view my photos?
NFG

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 am

NFG wrote:...
And now my next question, which is sort of something I wrestle with at a philosophical level ever time I consider colour management, is: what's best for the users who view my photos?

You answered it yourself, almost.

With computers (read: Windows) and tablets (read: Android) not handling color management properly or not at all, the safest bet is sRGB. It was designed for that purpose.

AdobeRGB and other wider gamut color spaces are intended for a color managed workflow only. If you can not control the hardware and software your clients using to view your images, which you can't, stick to sRGB.
In a prepress workflow or printing to a superphoto inkjet printer, AdobeRGB or other wide-gamut color space has the advantage.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software