Support for PSD files?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

Support for PSD files?

Postby AndrewR » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Will v7 finally support .psd files? I found the response below from Jon in the v6 forum and he says psd files were not supported because C1 was not an asset management application. Since v7 seems to finally be entering the realm of asset management, and is being promoted as such, will it finally support layered psd files?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=9964&p=44098&#p44098

PSD are not supported in Capture One as Paul stated.. this is predominantly because they are proprietary files for Photoshop and contain far more than just image data. Ultimately there are dozens of file formats that we could choose to support for viewing in Capture One, however the purpose of Capture One is raw adjustment and not asset management. Enabling all sorts of files for viewing add clutter and slows down the software and workflow.

P.S. I've been trying to download v7 all day so I could test it, but it's not working with either Chrome or Safari.
AndrewR

Re: Support for PSD files?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 am

From my experience, you can process and export to PSD but CO7 does not open the file format.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Support for PSD files?

Postby AndrewR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:55 am

That's very disappointing. The headline in the promotional email I received from Mamiya/Leaf today was "Comprehensive Digital Asset Management", and the one from Phase referred to "flexible digital asset management".

If it doesn't support Photoshop files I don't know how they can possibly call it "comprehensive" or "flexible" asset management. I'm sure most photographers would consider their finished Photoshop files to be valuable "assets", and it's too bad Phase One doesn't seem to agree.
AndrewR

Return to Capture One 7.x Software