C1 7 lost pointers to referenced files

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 7.x

C1 7 lost pointers to referenced files

Postby Baxter1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:46 am

Hope readers are having a good day.

Via a series of events that that don't help to describe - as the fact is that what happened has happened - I have lost the pointers to the referenced files in my primary Capture One 7 Catalog.

The missing references show with the standard exclamation point and the message "The selected image is either unavailable, in an unsupported format, or corrupted".

The referenced files have not changed folder location or drive letter. They remain exactly where they were before the problem occurred.

The user collections where the problems reside have a mixture of "located in C1 7 catalog" and referenced images. Only the referenced images have the issue.

I can fix each issue one by one by right clicking each problem image separately, specifying "Locate", and then pointing to the correct file in the Explorer window that is part of the Locate function. If the newly linked file has had adjustments and/or has been processed from RAW to jpg - all of those adjustments and indicators reappear and all is well. As you might expect, the newly linked images once again appear in the Folder section at the bottom of the Library view. None of the remaining problem images are showing in Folders.

It doesn't help to go back to a prior Catalog backup. I went as far as to restore the entire Capture One Catalog folder using an Acronis backup that preceded the events that caused the problem to begin with. For whatever reason, C1 7 thinks those referenced files have moved, and I'm reasonably certain that the only fix that retains adjustments is to reestablish the links.

So the question is whether I'm stuck re-linking every problem image separately, or whether there's a way to re-link them in larger groups.

Or, is there a related magic process that I haven't found yet?

Just for grins, I created a current backup of the Catalog file, and "Integrity Check" didn't notify me of any problems.

Thanks for reading this sob story :-).
Baxter1

Re: C1 7 lost pointers to referenced files

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:46 pm

If the referenced folderis still in the catalog you can use the relocate option for the folder. This speeds up the relinking process significantly.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Baxter1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Well at least I am learning about the organization of files in C1 7. The info in my original post was incorrect.

In my initial problem resolution - neglected to go "chase" the version of the catalog that I had restored via Acronis. Once I found and opened that version via File/Open, all of the fully managed and referenced images resolved and things are back to normal. Adjustments, links, and the rest are all as they should be. I closed and reopened the application just to ensure it's really back to normal.

I'm not going to ask which Catalog(s) C1 was opening by default when I was having the trouble - Lord knows as I had tried opening various backup catalogs, etc.

But important lesson learned is to try opening a catalog explicitly via File/Open and see if the problem clears.
Baxter1

Postby NN635853029406832493UL » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:16 pm

Baxter1 wrote:Well at least I am learning about the organization of files in C1 7. The info in my original post was incorrect.

In my initial problem resolution - neglected to go "chase" the version of the catalog that I had restored via Acronis. Once I found and opened that version via File/Open, all of the fully managed and referenced images resolved and things are back to normal. Adjustments, links, and the rest are all as they should be. I closed and reopened the application just to ensure it's really back to normal.

I'm not going to ask which Catalog(s) C1 was opening by default when I was having the trouble - Lord knows as I had tried opening various backup catalogs, etc.

But important lesson learned is to try opening a catalog explicitly via File/Open and see if the problem clears.

THANK YOU SO MUCH... this method worked for me. I appreciate it!!!!
NN635853029406832493UL

Return to Capture One 7.x Software