usb 3 with latest retina problems.

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Leaf Credo series digital camera backs.

usb 3 with latest retina problems.

Postby NN634847717462763622UL » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:42 am

Hi I'm having more and more severe problems with my systems stability - everything is absolutely up to date... df+ firmware, credo 80 firmware, latest version of capture one and a brand new max spec apple retina laptop ( 2 days old ) and a 1 year old retina laptop. Usb 3 refuses to connect on the new computer but will on the older laptop. However all other peripherals via Usb 3 are fine - wacom/various hd's etc. so there is nothing obviously wrong with either usb port on the new laptop and having spoken to Apple they say they can only imagine capture one / the db doesn't like the latest hardware spec for the apple usb drivers or protocols?
I've used two dealer supplied usb cables - same issues, so its not the cables. Firewire via thunderbolt will disconnect quite regularly too - I had a studio shoot today and over a dozen disconnects/freezes/various error messages. It used to be a stable system - rock solid in fact.
What can you do as I think you'll agree that these bugs and issues are not acceptable for a professional days shoot.
Sean
NN634847717462763622UL

Re: usb 3 with latest retina problems.

Postby Drew » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:06 am

Try turning Charging Off on the Credo. USB is pretty picky about power output and if yours doesn't have enough (as one port puts out a different Voltage than the other) you'll get connection issues.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby John2322 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:40 pm

I have similar issues with my new Credo80 and new apple laptop with thunderbolt and USB 3.0

I now use a thick high grade USB 3.0 cable from Calumet without problems. Its a 4,9 meter cable.

The thinner 3 meter cabel supplied with the camera is very unstable. Not only with my new credo 80 buth also with the Credo 80 demo camera I had for a couple of days.

So in my case the cable quality seems to make all the difference.

No luck however with the Apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter. This combination is even more unstable than the original USB cable.

Did anybody try the Belkin thunderbolt Express dock with Firewire 800?
http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F4U055/

John Tromp
John2322

Postby John2322 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 am

Update:

Just bought the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock.

In my case it works flawlessly between my Credo-80 and my Apple laptop with Retina Display.
I now can use a 4,9 m firewire and live view.
John2322

Postby NN634847717462763622UL » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:51 pm

So to update, new firmware fixed the bugs. I can now use a lindy 5m (active) extension via usb.
Basically I have the beta of the new unreleased firmware installed and it works!...
usb3 and thunderbolt adaptor work too.
230 shots on location yesterday and not a single problem. So software / firmware seems to have been the issue.

I'm very keen to see if the new corning fibre optic usb cables work as these could be a great addition to good system.
I hear from a london dealer they work but have yet to see them in the flesh - Anyone tried them yet?
NN634847717462763622UL

Postby JASONGROVER » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:47 pm

I have been having nothing but issues with my Credo 40 always disconnecting on my new MBP 15" Retina.
Both USB 3 and Firewire and I am using new cables I got from Tether Tools.

Is this something that would help with the USB?

http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherB ... BUSB30.htm
JASONGROVER

Postby brianmerwin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:46 pm

JASONGROVER wrote:I have been having nothing but issues with my Credo 40 always disconnecting on my new MBP 15" Retina.
Both USB 3 and Firewire and I am using new cables I got from Tether Tools.

Is this something that would help with the USB?

http://www.shop.tethertools.com/TetherB ... BUSB30.htm

I'm still waiting to hear how well it performs in actuality, but in theory the Tether Tools device should solve your issue.

Having said that, I've been using a powered USB hub for months on both Leaf and Phase IQ backs with great success (provided you disable battery charging completely on the back). USB 3.0 tethering has been excellent, but it unfortunately has come at the expense of burning through digital back batteries much faster due to the lack of charging via tether cable now.

Unfortunately there's not much to be done since Apple is actively trying to push as little voltage via USB/Thunderbolt ports as possible now.
brianmerwin
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Ulf » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:00 am

We have tested this and can not recommend it.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Leaf Credo series camera backs