Credo 50 or Credo 40

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Leaf Credo series digital camera backs.

Credo 50 or Credo 40

Postby tuckys » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:18 am

Hi guys!
Need some advice. I have 2 offers for an almost brand new credo 50 and a heavily used credo 40. The price difference is almost twice the price on credo 50. I am currently using aptus 65 with 645afd2.

Is the credo 50’s new cmos sensor really worth the price difference ( around $6k difference)? I am mainly shooting portraits, interior and landscape.
The useable iso range for aptus 65 is only 50-100. At 200 artifacts n noise sets in. How will credo 40 n 50 compare in turn of higher iso n noise ?

Thank you!
tuckys

Re: Credo 50 or Credo 40

Postby Sa'd Tilghman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello Tuckys,

In my honest and humble opinion, it all has to do with your technical setup and as equal importance your shooting 'style'. As an owner of an XF and Credo 40 'rig' it suits me just fine as a studio and outdoor (natural bright light) portraiture photographer. I am a big fan of the 'fat/larger pixel pitch' CCD sensors. That being said, if low light (high iso) and for some, more importantly LIVE VIEW for lens trimming, focus calibration with Capture One and/or just that extra (1 stop/1.5 stop) dynamic range is important then Credo 50 offers some flexibility.

These stats seem to be the main three other than MPs, of course. :D

Credo 40 (16 Bit) vs Credo 50 (14 Bit)
Credo 40 (12.5 stops DR) vs Credo 50 (14 stops DR)
Credo 40 (50 to 800 iso) vs Credo 50 (100 to 6400 iso)

www.mamiyaleaf.com/credo.html

I have provided a link to Mamiya's website for comparison. Happy hunting!
Sa'd Tilghman

Postby tuckys » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:24 am

hi Sa'd,

thanx for the reply. what bothers me most was the Credo40's 16 bit ccd vs Credo50's 14 bit cmos and the usable iso range.

how high is the usuable iso for credo 40? i tried credo 50. at iso 800 the iso is usable, but at 1600, the patchiness and artifacts sets in and the raw image doesn't look so clean.

is 16 bit ccd img better than 14 bit cmos?

thanx!
tuckys

Postby Sa'd Tilghman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello Tuckys,

In an effort to not sound generic, I will have to emphasize it all comes down to your shooting style. I rarely use my Credo 40 higher than iso 200, that is my preference. I am a big fan of slow speed iso. Along with my HAP-2 upgrade (low light performance sensitivity has been increased by 2.5 stops; and secondly, the dynamic range of the sensor has also been improved by 1stop in low contrast scenes) for my P1 XF, I work around low light issues using sound technique.

For those who have to have a solution other than grabbing their 'dslr'; Phase One/Mamiya Leaf addressed this by creating the 50MP & 100MP backs with a CMOS sensor, so you can (for the most part, other than weight) shoot like like a small format camera (low light/street style photography, etc.). I believe this can be achieved through: solid technique, ND Filters, and portable strobes.

Which is better CCD or CMOS is a matter of opinion. I personally like the CCD sensors (40, 60 & 80MP) in my humble opinion it has a certain tonality to the image.

The 16-Bit file size is what separates the winner from the loser in this scenario. If this was a comparison of two different 16-Bit backs, the argument would be much different.

Hope this helps.
Sa'd Tilghman

Postby tuckys » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:04 am

hi Sa'd,

thanx for the reply! now the only research is to find out about the tonality difference between at 16 bit file and a 14 bit file. this will be the main reason for me to choose betweeen the 40 and the 50.

will a credo 50 image looks like a sony A7rii image?

hope some owners with credo 50 can help shed some light to this! thanx!
tuckys

Return to Leaf Credo series camera backs