Alternative & People Tag, etc.

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Alternative & People Tag, etc.

Postby NNN634289132254246897 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:09 pm

I read through the entire "Where to, now?" thread but didn't really find what I am looking for. I did some research for alternatives and downloaded trials like Adobe PS Elements (I also tried LR a couple times before), PhotoDirector, ACDsee, etc. However, none of them can read the 'people tag' which is one of the most important tags for me. What programs support the people tag or at least can automatically transfer it to hirarchical keywords (people->[name of person])?

Also, which program can efficiently tag people? I usually select multiple images with a particular person in it and then drag them onto one entry of my long people list. PS LR allows something similar but I only got it to show 7 people, if I recall correctly. Hence it's useless and requires manual entry (typing).

I have similar issue with color labels. I use them extensivly so I know at what stage my images are in the workflow. Surprisingly, other program can't read my color labels. Is iView/MediaPro using some 'custom' label for the color labels?

Last but not least, I really want to have a program that has face recognition and can populate City/State/Country based on GPS coordinates. Right now I am doing this all manually which is very time-consuming. For years I have been hoping that iView/MediaPro will get such a feature (ok, granted, after I year when PhaseOne acquired MediaPro from MS it was obvious that this is a dead product. I expected it to end up integrated into C1 but not even that happened).
NNN634289132254246897

Re: Alternative & People Tag, etc.

Postby roberte » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:01 am

Media Pro has a legacy of adhering to metadata standards. Fields are mapped to IPTC standards David Riecks kindly outlines here:
http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/ima ... mapped.pdf

Color Labels = IPTC Urgency
People = Contact

Catalog Sets do not map to known fields but are still IPTC compliant and can be written as custom IPTC fields. The applications that adhere to XMP standard like Photoshop can read Catalog Sets if you add the Media Pro/iView template.

You can remap fields (e.g. move People to Keywords) using AppleScript or VB Script. I just use drag and drop :)

Face recognition is still in it's infancy for DAM. The latest LR Classic update has a big speed boost but "accuracy" of face recognition is the same. Apple Photos has good machine learning for faces.

Media Pro did have geotagging in an earlier version but was removed when Phase One acquired it from Microsoft. LR has geotagging and Jeffrey Friedl offers a plugin that improve on that if you have GPX tracks: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps
roberte

Postby syncrasy » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:02 pm

roberte wrote:Media Pro has a legacy of adhering to metadata standards. Fields are mapped to IPTC standards David Riecks kindly outlines here:
http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/ima ... mapped.pdf

Color Labels = IPTC Urgency
People = Contact

Robert, just for clarification...

In checking my files in Photoshop (File Info...), Media Pro's "People" field maps to the "Persons Shown" field in the IPTC Extension section, not a "Contact" field. Media Pro's "Author" ("Creator" if using IPTC field names) field maps to Photoshop's "Creator" field in the IPTC Contact section.

If IPTC's "Creator" field is intended to map to the contact person for the image, where would one encounter an IPTC IIMv4 field name called "Contact"?
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby roberte » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:26 am

Hi Mark,

Yes that's correct, 'People' = 'Persons Shown' in Photoshop

'Contact' is usually the contact for the photo, i.e the photographer.

I found this page from the old iView manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvlp6i952tuu1 ... apping.pdf
roberte

Postby syncrasy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm

roberte wrote:Hi Mark,

Yes that's correct, 'People' = 'Persons Shown' in Photoshop

'Contact' is usually the contact for the photo, i.e the photographer.

I found this page from the old iView manual:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvlp6i952tuu1 ... apping.pdf

Thanks, Robert. The iView manual is consistent with David R's PDF insofar that "People" = "Contact" for IPTC/XMP Core (as well as Aperture), but not Photoshop. Presumably other apps that use strict IPTC/XMP Core show "People" in a "Contact" field as you originally said.

So perhaps my quibbling/confusion is that the IPTC/XMP Core field named "Contact" is simply a poor word choice. Or am I not understanding the original IPTC/XMP naming intent?
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby roberte » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 am

From memory the People tag was deprecated after IPTC4XMP and that's when Contact was introduced for another purpose.
roberte

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE