Archiving family photos for future generations

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Archiving family photos for future generations

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 pm

The age old question for the digital age...

I have an archive of scans (TIFFs) of thousands of family photos dating back to the late 1800s (scans of 4x5, 2x2, 35mm and other negatives, 35mm and glass slides, Cabinet Cards, and other prints). All images are (or will be) catalogued in Media Pro (or whichever software I choose to replace it). The archive size will be about 4TB.

I assume that most, if not all, current digital storage media likely will be obsolete 30 years from now. Obviously the next generation will have to "deal with" the obsolescence issue and transfer the files to a different medium later (if they even care about it). Given that, which current technology/medium is "best" for saving and distributing copies of this archive to family members? Given the limited capacity of DVDs and USB flash drives, it seems the only practical and universal solution is a portable hard drive with USB (a technology that presumably will be around for the next 10-15 years). But 30 years?

Any thoughts?
Last edited by syncrasy on Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Re: Archiving family photos for future generations

Postby Peter.Brockhausen » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:26 am

For distributing copies of 4TB of pictures, buy normal external hard drives. SSDs would be quite expensive, but are an option too. And then, handover the disks and the problem. That's called risk transfer...

Or, you can rent with your family and friends together online storage space. Then, the problem - readability of data in 30 years, backups, ... - is outsourced to amazon or whatever service you choose.

Professional solutions, which are used by companies, are by far too expensive.

--peter
Peter.Brockhausen

Postby syncrasy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks, Peter. More or less confirms my thinking. I'll likely invest in a few external drives. Perhaps there will be advances in optical storage (e.g. ultra-super-duper Blu-ray) in the next 10-15 years. If so, perhaps the capacities could get more practical for my needs.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby roberte » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:48 am

Archival prints are the only sure bet. Also worth investing in Peter Krogh's guide on digitising your family archive: http://thedambook.com/dyp/
roberte

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE