Where to, now?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Re: Where to, now?

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:38 pm

One thing I forgot to ask, does anybody know if the Catalog Set information transfers across to any other software apart from CO? I am guessing you would have to sync the information back to the original files for it to be readable? The advantage of CO (if it had a comparable DAM) would have been that you could have just imported existing MP catalogs and everything would come across. I’m thinking creating the Catalog Set structure in another software manually would be a long, arduous task.
Paul Dymond

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:56 pm

Paul Dymond wrote:One thing I forgot to ask, does anybody know if the Catalog Set information transfers across to any other software apart from CO? I am guessing you would have to sync the information back to the original files for it to be readable? The advantage of CO (if it had a comparable DAM) would have been that you could have just imported existing MP catalogs and everything would come across. I’m thinking creating the Catalog Set structure in another software manually would be a long, arduous task.

I know RobertE has written about this. A quick search found this advice (move Catalog Sets to keywords):

https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26253&p=123331&hilit=Catalog+Sets#p123331

I think it will be arduous no matter what, since you'll have to recreate the Catalog Set structure from scratch in the new DAM's native system. But at least having them in keywords gets you part way there. I would probably tag each catalog set with "CS:name of set" to find them easier in the list of keywords.

Maybe Robert has other advice.
syncrasy

Postby RobiWan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:52 am

Paul Dymond wrote:One thing I forgot to ask, does anybody know if the Catalog Set information transfers across to any other software apart from CO?

There is no other software that can read/ import C1 catalogs.

The best and I mean only way to switch from C1 catalog to other DAM is write all Metadata into XMP sidecar files.
But be careful, C1 doesn't do it right either.

As I decided to switch my smal catalog with ~60000 images it took me almost two weeks to make order.
Even a change from catalog to session is not really practicable, because it's not possible to export settings only without copy/ move images self. Phase One simply created catalog without a round concept behind it :oops:
RobiWan

Postby Paul Dymond » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:08 am

Yes I’m thinking transferring all my Catalog Sets to a similar structure in another software programme is going to be a long nightmarish process. It seems our only real option is to keep using Media Pro for as long as we can and hope that either somebody buys it or C1 integrates it better in future versions.
Paul Dymond

Postby RobiWan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:02 am

syncrasy wrote:[*]If the “soon to be released” Photo Mechanic 6 includes a robust catalog/DAM comparable to Media Pro, migrate to Photo Mechanic. If not…

I mean this “soon to be released” has been valid for 2 or 3 years :P
RobiWan

Postby myotis » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:58 pm

RobiWan wrote:
syncrasy wrote:[*]If the “soon to be released” Photo Mechanic 6 includes a robust catalog/DAM comparable to Media Pro, migrate to Photo Mechanic. If not…

I mean this “soon to be released” has been valid for 2 or 3 years :P

But since the beginning of 2018, it has changed to "before the end of the 2018"

Cheers,

Graham
myotis

Postby sbn » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 am

I pointed the Serif company to the possibility of filling the gap in their software suite with buying Media Pro, in case PO will sell it. The answer was, they will not buy anything but have began looking into thier own DAM solution. As they start from scratch and the requested feature list is already long, that will take its time. But it could become one way out of our misery.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. ... am/&page=4
sbn

Re: Is t Capture1 Registration Key supplied to Media Pro SE

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Good day

Just received the Phase One email informing that Media Pro SE (a very recent version) would be discontinued and suggesting users should switch to Capture One. I paid 232€ for Media Pro last version only in last March 2017.

I am thus assuming that I will get from Phase One a free License Code for Capture One last version and following ones.
Can you kindly tell me if the Capture One Licence Code is being supplied, or if not, what is Phase One's idea ??

Hope Phase One is not expecting that Media Pro SE buyers now buy Capture One also ....
Will appreciate some light on this issue.

Thanks in advance

Best Regards

Marco C. Pereira
MJCPEREIRA

Postby syncrasy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:23 pm

MJCPEREIRA wrote:Good day

Just received the Phase One email informing that Media Pro SE (a very recent version) would be discontinued and suggesting users should switch to Capture One. I paid 232€ for Media Pro last version only in last March 2017.

I am thus assuming that I will get from Phase One a free License Code for Capture One last version and following ones.
Can you kindly tell me if the Capture One Licence Code is being supplied, or if not, what is Phase One's idea ??

Hope Phase One is not expecting that Media Pro SE buyers now buy Capture One also ....
Will appreciate some light on this issue.

That's an excellent point. I would not assume that Phase One will do this (no such offer was made in the email). I have just sent a request via the Support ticket system about this matter. Since this forum is a user-to-user forum, not an official channel for business requests, I suggest all Media Pro users create a Support ticket asking that Phase One provide Media Pro users a free Capture One license. The argument is straightforward: Media Pro customers paid for a product that they believed was a viable product. Phase One suddenly discontinued the product. Phase One is therefore morally, and perhaps legally, obligated to provide a free license for the product the company recommends customers use as a replacement (Capture One).
Last edited by syncrasy on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
syncrasy

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi Mark

Thanks for your answer. that was so obvious to me, that was finding it really really strange, that nobody else had asked about it in the Forum...
I will never pay now, once more for Capture One, sincerely hope that Phase One has the dignity of providing the License Code instead of expecting to make money out of customers out of Phase One inability to make their products work throughout time (and since 2017, it wasn't that much time).

If they do that, I think it should be the end of Phase One, AT LEAST for the previous Media Pro users...but even other users should carefully judge if it's wise to invest their money in softwares that may just end up like Media Pro is ending....
Last edited by MJCPEREIRA on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJCPEREIRA

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:44 pm

By the way, I also placed a Ticket asking for the Capture One License Code. We should all place tickets and get the License Code or abandon Phase One once and for all.
MJCPEREIRA

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:02 pm

"Phase One suddenly discontinued the product. Phase One is therefore morally, and perhaps legally, obligated to provide a free license for the product the company recommends customers use as a replacement (Capture One)."

Bulls eye, Mark.

That's exactly the issue and let's hope Phase One reveals itself morally up to it.. Legally, I'm sure the company wouldn't stand a chance but I'm really hoping they understand they should not get to that.
MJCPEREIRA

Postby RobiWan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:10 pm

MJCPEREIRA wrote:I am thus assuming that I will get from Phase One a free License Code for Capture One last version and following ones.

It's very interesting aspect. But I don't think Phase One will do anything.
RobiWan

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Just got their answer:

"
Hi Marco,

We are not able to provide free Capture One licenses, but you can get $100 (USD) off of a Capture One license if you enter your media Pro key in the promo code section at checkout.

Best regards,

Phase One Technical Support "

It's obviously time for all of us to abandon Phase One products and place a claim in court. The European Union right institutions will handle this pretty well, companies trying to Rip off clients sistematically...

There's obviously zero morality in the Phase One people...
MJCPEREIRA

Postby Ian3 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Marco - with respect I think this argument is ill-founded. I am also very disappointed that Media Pro will not be developed further. But the Media Pro we all have will not suddenly stop working. Are you arguing that a software company should never, reluctantly, cease developing a product? I suspect that if Media Pro was profitable they would want to continue. But you only have to look at the low number of posts in this forum (before the last week!) and the several days it can sometimes take for anyone at all to respond to a post, to guess that the user base is pretty small. So I'm disappointed, but not entirely surprised.

Ian
Ian3

PreviousNext

Return to Media Pro and Media Pro SE