Where to, now?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Re: Where to, now?

Postby randygentry » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:28 pm

I'm going to transition to NeoFinder software. They are offering a crossgrade price.
randygentry
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:11 am

Re: Where to, now?

Postby Ian3 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:21 pm

randygentry wrote:I'm going to transition to NeoFinder software. They are offering a crossgrade price.

Does it do hierarchical keywords? From the brief information abut keywords on their help files, it doesn't look like it.

Ian
Ian3
 
Posts: 2851
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Where to, now?

Postby syncrasy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:49 pm

Ian3 wrote:
randygentry wrote:I'm going to transition to NeoFinder software. They are offering a crossgrade price.

Does it do hierarchical keywords? From the brief information abut keywords on their help files, it doesn't look like it.


As far as I can tell, no. It appears to lack a lot of features/functions that we're used to in MP. My quick "missing feature" list from a brief test: Batch file rename, Lightbox, hierarchical keywords, editable date metadata field, People metadata field, list view presets, custom metadata fields, robust/customizable web gallery generator, attach a file to email, bundled scripts. Probably many more, but those are the features I use daily.

My impression is that NeoFinder is a really nice-looking, better version of Apple Photos (minus the image editing part), with the ability to archive multiple file types, but it's not comparable to Media Pro.
Last edited by syncrasy on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Where to, now?

Postby C-F » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:53 am

syncrasy wrote:
Ian3 wrote:
randygentry wrote:I'm going to transition to NeoFinder software. They are offering a crossgrade price.

Does it do hierarchical keywords? From the brief information abut keywords on their help files, it doesn't look like it.


As far as I can tell, no. It appears to lack a lot of features/functions that we're used to in MP. My quick "missing feature" list from a brief test: Batch file rename, Lightbox, hierarchical keywords, editable date metadata field, People metadata field, list view presets, custom metadata fields, web gallery generator, attach a file to email, bundled scripts. Probably many more, but those are the features I use daily.

My impression is that NeoFinder is a really nice-looking, better version of Apple Photos (minus the image editing part), with the ability to archive multiple file types, but it's not comparable to Media Pro.



I agree with Syncrasy that it is not MediaPro with all its bells and whistles - then again I don't think one will find any alternative right now on the Apple/Mac platform to do so...

- Apple Photos will ingest your Photos and thereby remove them from being generally accessible by other programs ('proprietary 'hostage' of ones image collection); NeoFinder works in 'referenced mode' only - it is a cataloging program for your assets.

I can also confirm the lack of hierarchal/structured Keywords in NeoFinder which is unfortunate (It does do multi catalog searches though).

On a Windows platform I understand the closest application to compare to MediaPro is iMatch - but I can not evaluate this as I don't have any Windows based hardware.

In all it is fortunate that the discontinuation of MediaPro is NOT like a light switch 0n/off - we all have some time to research and evaluate the developments in the near future...
C-F
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Where to, now?

Postby Ian3 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:06 am

C-F wrote:- Apple Photos will ingest your Photos and thereby remove them from being generally accessible by other programs ('proprietary 'hostage' of ones image collection); NeoFinder works in 'referenced mode' only - it is a cataloging program for your assets.

Apple Photos can actually work in referenced mode too, though I don't think it is a suitable replacement for MP.

Ian
Ian3
 
Posts: 2851
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: Bristol, England

Re: Where to, now?

Postby RobiWan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 am

C-F wrote:then again I don't think one will find any alternative right now on the Apple/Mac platform to do so...


Try again Photo Supreme. The new V4 version has 64Bit OSX version and some new features and .... for me its work great.

And for me personally very important point - I can contact developer and so far we have found a solution.
RobiWan
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Where to, now?

Postby Wolfram32 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:05 am

I just have Windows and using IMatch too.

https://www.photools.com
Capture Pro 10 (German); IMatch 2017 (German); OS: Windows 10 64; Cam: Canon 5D IV
Hardware: CPU AMD R7 1700; AMD Radeon Vega 56 Nano-Edition; RAM 16 GB
Wolfram32
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:55 pm

Re: Where to, now?

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

FYI... Robert Edwards, an iView/Media Pro expert who (I think) now uses Lightroom, has posted a very insightful post over in the CO forum in my original Media Pro refugee thread. He points out that Lightroom CC can be used as DAM for free if you let your CC trial expire. The image editor won't work but the DAM portion will still work.

He refers to an article by Peter Krogh, called "Lightroom *never* fully expires" that explains how this works.

I never liked Lightroom's UI, but will probably consider this option out of necessity. I am checking out the Lightroom Classic trial version now.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Where to, now?

Postby C-F » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:13 pm

syncrasy wrote:FYI... Robert Edwards, an iView/Media Pro expert who (I think) now uses Lightroom, has posted a very insightful post over in the CO forum in my original Media Pro refugee thread. He points out that Lightroom CC can be used as DAM for free if you let your CC trial expire. The image editor won't work but the DAM portion will still work.

He refers to an article by Peter Krogh, called "Lightroom *never* fully expires" that explains how this works.

I never liked Lightroom's UI, but will probably consider this option out of necessity. I am checking out the Lightroom Classic trial version now.



Nice,
I do wonder however, if after the trial expiration date, the software will still stay up-to-date or if it remains in the state it was when the trial license expired.
C-F
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Where to, now?

Postby RobiWan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:09 pm

syncrasy wrote:He points out that Lightroom CC can be used as DAM for free if you let your CC trial expire. The image editor won't work but the DAM portion will still work.

He refers to an article by Peter Krogh, called "Lightroom *never* fully expires" that explains how this works.


There's only one problem. There is no guarantee that it will still work in 1-2 years. If it doesn't, you have a real problem. It would be absolutely no solution for me.
2-3 years ago Adobe had also said then that LR will always be available as "buy" version. You simply cannot rely on such statements.
RobiWan
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Where to, now?

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 pm

C-F wrote:I do wonder however, if after the trial expiration date, [Lightroom] will still stay up-to-date or if it remains in the state it was when the trial license expired.


I suspect you won't get updates after the trial expires. But I don't expect Adobe will update the DAM features anyway (it still looks the same as when I tested it 10+ years ago; even the old clunky HTML galleries look the same), so for DAM purposes the lack of updates shouldn't be an issue. The main concern will be getting the latest camera raw support (I think Adobe Camera Raw updates require a current CC license.) I suppose if you buy a new camera you could subscribe to Lr CC for a month for $9.99 just to get the latest ACR, then cancel. What's odd is that the current ACR version, v. 10.5, dates back to 2013; I don't know how new cameras are added while the ACR version remains the same.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Migrating to Lr is "option #4" on my list. :wink:
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Where to, now?

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 pm

RobiWan wrote:
syncrasy wrote:He points out that Lightroom CC can be used as DAM for free if you let your CC trial expire. The image editor won't work but the DAM portion will still work.

He refers to an article by Peter Krogh, called "Lightroom *never* fully expires" that explains how this works.


There's only one problem. There is no guarantee that it will still work in 1-2 years. If it doesn't, you have a real problem. It would be absolutely no solution for me.
2-3 years ago Adobe had also said then that LR will always be available as "buy" version. You simply cannot rely on such statements.


Very true. We must proceed with caution.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Where to, now?

Postby RobiWan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:00 pm

syncrasy wrote: Migrating to Lr is "option #4" on my list. :wink:


And what are options 1-3?
RobiWan
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Where to, now?

Postby syncrasy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:02 pm

RobiWan wrote:
syncrasy wrote: Migrating to Lr is "option #4" on my list. :wink:


And what are options 1-3?


See page 1 of this thread (second post).
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:05 am
Location: USA

Re: Where to, now?

Postby Paul Dymond » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:27 pm

A little background, I too have been a long time IView, Expression, Media Pro user through all the iterations. I’m a travel photographer. Mostly stock, and have always used it to manage my archive. In recent years my business has evolved into building image catalogs for clients - mainly large government departments and tourism businesses. So when I got the email last week I nearly had a heart attack! I’ve imported 55,000 images into a CO catalog on my home computer just to see how it is and it was slow as hell. Useless for me in terms of building databases but maybe useable for clients who mainly use the Catalog Sets function to find images. I’m leaning towards the LR option though. Yes it might not be upgradeable but for many of my clients I don’t think that will be a concern. They just want to be able to find and use their images and don’t have a need to manipulate them at all. This announcement is so disappointing for me on many levels as I really feel it’s a fantastic piece of software for not only photographers, but there’s a huge untapped market there for businesses who need a simple way to manage their images without a need for the ability to manipulate them.
Paul Dymond
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 6:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Media Pro and Media Pro SE



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests