Catalog Set Order Not Saving

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Catalog Set Order Not Saving

Postby NNN636526977788956338 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi,

I've created a catalog set with certain images and organized them in a specific order. However after I save and reopen the catalog, the order of images in my sets are not as a I saved them - they're organized alphabetically by filename.

Please help!

Thank you.
NNN636526977788956338

Re: Catalog Set Order Not Saving

Postby syncrasy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:02 pm

It depends on whether you're creating a fresh MP catalog or converting from Expression Media.

If fresh, open MP preferences and check the option "Maintain item sort order whenever possible".

If converting from an Expression Media catalog, this preference must be unchecked. (Yes, it's bizzare/buggy.)

See "Re: Manual Sort order in Catalog Sets" for the full discussion.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NNN636526977788956338 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:36 pm

It's a MP catalog, and when I redid the entire catalog I still had a problem with losing the order within my sets.

The only thing I can think of is that I did re-order images in the catalog set by filename alphabetically, which may have had something to do with it - although, you should be able to re-order images even after sorting by filename and save your order.

The "maintain order" box was also checked under preferences which is why I contacted Phase One directly and the only thing they said is that Media Pro isn't compatible with macOS High Sierra and that I should download Media Pro SE - I'm working with Media Pro SE - so, that wasn't helpful.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my query - I've ended up just manually sorting images within a set without selecting 'sort by filename' or any other function lest I lost my order again. This is highly annoying because the purpose of MP is to be able to change things as you please and not have to work with dysfunctional settings. :)
NNN636526977788956338

Postby syncrasy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:40 am

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you're manually sorting your images, then re-sorting the same images again by file name, that would defeat the purpose of manually sorting (and would cause the database to forget your manual sort order). As far as I can recall, iView/EM/Media Pro never has had the ability to restore an earlier manual sort order if you monkey with the order (either manually or by file name). This isn't dysfunctional. It still allows you to order images as you please. But it only remembers your most recent sort. You have to stop monkeying with your original order if you expect it to stay in place.

Am I misunderstanding?
— Mark

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NNN636526977788956338 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:40 am

I should've been more clear - I organized my files by filename at first, but then saved a selection of those files in a set by manual order. These set images were sorted manually and the catalog saved and closed. However, when I re-opened the catalog, the images in my catalog set were sorted by filename. Each time I tried to sort the images in that set manually and save, the catalog would revert to a filename sort when reopened.

I decided to recreate the entire catalog and went through the same process, with no luck - the files in my catalog sets were being saved by filename only. I checked 'Preferences,' but couldn't find any setting that would default order all files in the catalog sets by filename. I had to recreate the catalog a third time, and by never clicking on 'sort by filename,' I was able to maintain my catalog set order.

Media Pro SE should be saving my images any way I sort them in my sets (manually, by filename, etc.) when I hit 'Save.' It shouldn't be defaulting to a 'sort by filename.'
NNN636526977788956338

Postby syncrasy » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 am

Okay. I was able to duplicate your problem on one of my catalogs that had the preference "Maintain item sort order whenever possible" checked. (I normally have that preference unchecked, per my previous post, to get it to work with converted catalogs.)

As an experiment, I tried unchecking "Maintain item sort order whenever possible" and lo and behold my manual catalog set sort order was honored. Seems like that preference is more buggy than I thought.

I suggest you try unchecking the preference and see what happens.
— Mark

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NNN636526977788956338 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:06 am

I have no way of verifying this because my Media Pro SE trail has expired.

I've been a long time user of Expression Media, and wanted to upgrade to Media Pro SE, so I downloaded it on a trial basis. The interface and functionality are almost identical between the two programs, but now I can't check your solution to see if it'll work for me.

On a side note - I presented multiple videos and snapshots of this issue to a member of Phase One's Technical Support team, and your solution was never suggested as a potential fix. I hope you're right, because I'd like to purchase the software, however I'm weary because of this experience, and not having a way to verify the solution myself.

Thanks for your time and effort!-You must be a big fan of MPSE! :) Have a great day!
NNN636526977788956338

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE