Does Media Pro SE work with High Sierra?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Does Media Pro SE work with High Sierra?

Postby Ian3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Does Media Pro SE work with MacOS High Sierra?

Ian
Ian3

Re: Does Media Pro SE work with High Sierra?

Postby Thomas248 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 pm

w/o any problems
Thomas248

Postby Ian3 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Ulf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 am

Officially: No at this time
(Whoever reads this thread later, check current release note)
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks, Ulf. I haven't upgraded to High Sierra yet anyway - not before both Media Pro and Capture One support it.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Ian3 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:15 pm

So is it still the case that Media Pro SE doesn't support High Sierra? I've held off from upgrading to High Sierra because of Capture One and Media Pro. Now Capture One 11 supports High Sierra. Thomas 248 says MP works with High Sierra without any problems. But Ulf says it is not officially supported. Not sure what to do!

Ian
Ian3

Postby C-F » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 am

Ian3 wrote:So is it still the case that Media Pro SE doesn't support High Sierra? I've held off from upgrading to High Sierra because of Capture One and Media Pro. Now Capture One 11 supports High Sierra. Thomas 248 says MP works with High Sierra without any problems. But Ulf says it is not officially supported. Not sure what to do!

Ian

If you use it for business critical work - I would not upgrade until it is supported - I have a 'test catalog' on my system that I 'play'/ experiment with occasionally and today while trying to add a folder to the catalog Media pro crashed on me when I clicked to select the folder - first time it ever crashed on me; I am running high Sierra on a MacBook Pro.
C-F

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:40 pm

Ulf,

Answers from technicall, commercial or whatever Phase One support have just stopped being given.

Will Phase One release or not release the Media Pro 64 Bits version so that it may work with the High Sierra 10.13 or not, can you please clarify it ?

What can Media Pro SE users count in terms of upgrades and when. I'm currently being professionaly and finantially harmed due this sudden incompatibility. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but I have just paid 189 € past March to go on using Media Pro.

It sure wasn't so that in November it wouldn't work anymore with brand new Apple computers and/or Apple OS.

Using the Phase One Engine, as the Phase One support is instructing users to do doesn't also help. The catalogs created with the Phase One Engine generate blurry and low quality thumbnails.

I need urgently to know if an Update sorting these problems will be released soon or not.

Very important work flows and decisions are waiting for this information. If Media Pro will be abandoned, kindly return the ammount paid.

Best Regards

Marco C. Pereira
MJCPEREIRA

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Thomas 248

I'm trying to understand how/why you are replying "without any problems" ??
Are you using High Sierra 10.13.12 ??
Which Mac are you using ??

I'm trying to use Media Pro in a brand new MacBook Pro with 10.13.12 and, as Ulf informed, it doesn't work at all.
For a start, Apple discontinued all running 32 Bits images' Applications. That was the case of Media Pro SE for Mac.

Now if you try to create a catalogue, the Apple Engine keeps on crashing (quitting), and most of the images don't render. They appear in a single colour (black, yellow, whatever color you chose in Preferences) rectangle instead of the proper thumbnail.

The Phase One support did suggest me to use the Phase One engine instead but, when I tried, I got fuzzy, blurry thumbnails, much worse than the ones created before with the Apple engine...

So...either Phase One creates a 64 Bits Media Pro version or... it's basically finished for life.

The problem i, users aren't getting any feedback at all about this, or about anything else, including the devolution of the value paid for the Media Pro 2.2 version (in my case, past March).

Doesn't seem fair..
MJCPEREIRA

Postby Peter.Brockhausen » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:56 pm

MJCPEREIRA wrote:
For a start, Apple discontinued all running 32 Bits images' Applications. That was the case of Media Pro SE for Mac.
(...)
So...either Phase One creates a 64 Bits Media Pro version or... it's basically finished for life.

That statement is simply wrong.
Apple announced, that High Sierra will be the last macOS release to support 32-bit apps without compromises.

Starting 1.1.2018, "new" apps on the "mac app store " have to be 64 bit. In Summer '18, all apps in the app store have to be 64 bit applications.

Starting with macOS 10.14 macOS will warn, if you execute 32 bit applications, but they still will run.

Maybe with macos 10.15, macOS will no longer execute 32 bit applications. But that's speculation of many developers. Apple didn't officially anounced, when that will happen.

Thus, until autumn 2019 at least, there is enough time to update media pro.

See https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/102

--peter
Peter.Brockhausen

Postby MJCPEREIRA » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Ok, Peter. I accept that.

But, the Media Pro SE is already not working with the High Sierra 10.13.2. I cannot use it anymore, unless I use the Phase One engine which (unless you teach me a Preference to avoid it) generates awfull blurry thumbnails, that make any Media Pro catalog useless..

So, when will the update be released ?? If it will take long, what do you suggest that all Media Pro SE users - that paid past February, March to go on using it - do until that update is released ??

In my case, I cannot use Media Pro SE at all, and I'm a professional photographer...
MJCPEREIRA

Postby Peter.Brockhausen » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:47 pm

I'am sorry I cannot help you.

Media Pro SE has two big problems, it doesn't support neither CO11 nor the latest macOS versions.
I even cannot help you with your thumbnail problem, since my test period of Media Pro SE is over.

I don't know when, and if at all, Phase One updates Media Pro.

In theory, to my mind, Media Pro SE is on macOS still the best DAM for a photographer, who uses Capture One and who doesn't need "multi user" capabilities in his DAM. In practise, well... a different story.
Peter.Brockhausen

Postby roberte » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 pm

MJCPEREIRA wrote:Thomas 248
Now if you try to create a catalogue, the Apple Engine keeps on crashing (quitting), and most of the images don't render. They appear in a single colour (black, yellow, whatever color you chose in Preferences) rectangle instead of the proper thumbnail.

Ouch! With no support for rendering using the Apple Engine then Media Pro is dead for me. I'll stick with Sierra.
roberte

Postby Ulf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Media Pro SE 2.3 is our now with Mac OS 10.13 support and Capture One 11 engine.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE