Ease in Moving Away from Media Pro?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Ease in Moving Away from Media Pro?

Postby NN635248768000693438UL » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to purchase Media Pro for my Public Relations team at Asbury University here in Kentucky, and I wanted to see how easy it is to migrate out of Media Pro if we were to switch software programs down the road. From the looks of it, there's no easy way to extract all the work that has been done tagging photos if we were to find a new software program 4 or 5 years down the road (just hypothetical).

For instance…
You tag photos in Adobe Bridge.
That embeds them into the metadata of the photo itself.
Media Pro can then import the metadata from the photo into their catalogs.

Is there a similar system for Media Pro like this…
You tag photos in Media Pro.
That embeds them into metadata *somewhere*.
*Software X* can then import all metadata from Media Pro if need-be.

The last thing I want is this scenario:
You tag photos in Media Pro.
Media Pro (heaven forbid) goes bankrupt or your team decided to go a different route 5 years from now.
All the hard work you've done is now useless.

Does that make sense?
NN635248768000693438UL

Re: Ease in Moving Away from Media Pro?

Postby HCS » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:03 pm

This is typically called an exit strategy and it's very wise to think about it before purchase IMHO.

Media Pro is scriptable, so you can write a script to extract all that data (the work you and your colleagues did) into a file of you your choice and migrate it to another tool of your choice. If you can't write it, there will be others who can.
HCS

Postby rmoorlag » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 pm

I think it's very smart to think about a exit strategy before purchasing software!

Bridge is a browser and it does 'touch' the photo imidiately. When you ad keywords, they become visible right away.
In Media Pro this is a two-step action because it's a catalog.
When you ad metadata to an image in MediaPro this first is saved into the database of the catalog.
You have to 'push' back this data into the image with a command (Ctrl/Alt/B) and then the metadata can be read by other applications (like bridge) too.
B.t.w. I think this two-step thing is good. I want to keep images untouched as long as possible because every touch can (potentialy) lead to corruption or quality-loss.

One very important thing to remember is to only use the meta-data fields that are compatible with other applications. Not all MediaPro fields are! It's save to use 'Keywords', 'Caption', 'Title', 'Copyright', star ratings and i think you can find others too.

Some fields to avoid are 'People', Custom fields, Coloured labels and the catalog fields.

You could do some organizing with Hierachical Keywords perhaps but normaly the catalog fields are used for this. Now the question is, is MP usable enough for you with these limitations?

Roelof
Previously Expression Media v2 SP2 (2.0.2096.0) on Win7 SP1 64bit 16Gb. Nowadays Lightroom 6.x
Last post on this forum: 8 may 2015
http://www.digitaalfotobeheer.nl
rmoorlag

Postby NN635248768000693438UL » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 pm

Much appreciated! Thanks, all!
NN635248768000693438UL

Postby PhaseoneUser30154 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:26 pm

"...B.t.w. I think this two-step thing is good. I want to keep images untouched as long as possible because every touch can (potentialy) lead to corruption or quality-loss…"

this is contrary to what I am given to understand

the image remains in RAW/JPG as imported. Therefore it is never "corrupted".

use of .xmp files and proper set up in "Preferences" will assure that all instructions and metadata are translated to a new catalog system.

The real incompatibilities come from adjustments which are non-standard across programs (LR is different from C1). It's easy enough to export a "clean" RAW to any new program and avoid the issues if need be. And keep your metadata... :D
PhaseoneUser30154

Postby rmoorlag » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Maybe i was not clear enough. English is not my first language, sorry.
Media Pro does keep images 'untouched' when you ad or alter metadata.
Then, you can push back this information back into the image (in the XMP placeholder). At this point, the image is 'touched'.

However, this is not the complete story because proprietary RAW files like NEF of CR2 can not be altered by third party applications. Media Pro will make sidecarr files (.XMP) All other format's will be altered (DNG, JPG, TIF, whathever).
So, it's a litle bit more nuanced.

One question @PhaseoneUser30154:
It's easy enough to export a "clean" RAW to any new program and avoid the issues if need be. And keep your metadata..

How do you bring over (all) the metadata from Media Pro to the other application?
Previously Expression Media v2 SP2 (2.0.2096.0) on Win7 SP1 64bit 16Gb. Nowadays Lightroom 6.x
rmoorlag

Postby bnes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:01 pm

I was able to export from media pro to an XML file, then import that into Photo Supreme, which mostly worked.
This did not require touching any media files or creating any sidecar files.
bnes

Postby HCS » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:04 pm

bnes wrote:I was able to export from media pro to an XML file, then import that into Photo Supreme, which mostly worked.
This did not require touching any media files or creating any sidecar files.

I'd be interested to know how you did this. I tried, but didn't succeed (with the export menu option).
HCS

Postby rmoorlag » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm

The 'People' field, Custom fields, Coloured labels and the catalog fields can not be exported by XML at my knowledge...
So that information will be lost
rmoorlag

Postby bnes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 am

I'd be interested to know how you did this. I tried, but didn't succeed (with the export menu option).

I used Media Pro 1->File->Export To XML...
You probably have to select the POSIX option.
Name the file.
Start Photo Supreme
Tools->Import from MediaPro

I wrote up my results at http://obviously.com/1465/Digital-Asset ... tware#grid

My keywords were all heirarchical keywords. Nothing was stored under people. I did not check if ratings came through.
bnes

Postby HCS » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Thanks bnes.

I did try that (even before your post), but it fails for me with the error: "The action could not be completed because the catalog contains files not found in mounted volumes". I have no clue what that means, but there is nothing obvious wrong in my catalog. I check, double checked and triple checked.

If you've got any pointers, i'd appreciate it.
HCS

Postby bnes » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:58 pm

I reported an similar issue to Photo Supreme's developer, and they sent me an updated version of the software the next day. Great service.

Unfortunately PS is about twice as sluggish as Media Pro (at least on my older machine), and thus I stuck with MP for now. Since MP is abandoned I'll eventually have to bit the bullet and switch.
bnes

Postby HCS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Turns out something was amiss with my MP catalog. I don't know what, but i could export my RAW metadata, so something somewhere else in my catalog is hampering.

I've successfully imported the data into photo supreme. Now i'm working on a roundtrip with C1, getting exported jpegs back into psu as .preview files. To do that, i need to rename the .jpg files from C1. I can do that (e.g. with automator or a rename app), but the next time i want to rename to the same file name, all of them fail to overwrite.

In case you might have any pointers, i'd appreciate that. However, it may be better to continue that conversation in the psu forum.
HCS

Postby DMHP13 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 pm

@bnes
You say Media Pro has been abandoned. Has there been official confirmation of this? I am an Aperture user who used iView which I liked in the past. MS Expression caused many problems on the Mac. Just bought the upgrade to Media Pro 1.4.2 version and also downloaded archived 1.4.1 at a very reasonable price. Is Media Pro actually on it's way out? The comments here seem to indicate many think so. Was hoping to use it in at least a minimal way on possibly a shoot by shoot catalog basis, but it seems for a 500GB Aperture move it might not be wise. I am on a new 2013 Mac Pro and several other systems 10.6.8, 10.8.5, 10.9.2 on the Mac Pro 2013 and all on a 2012 Mac Pro tower with multiple boot drives. Planning on moving to later systems as they prove themselves, 10.9.4, Yosemite, etc. Any thoughts from anyone about the future of Media Pro?
DMHP13

Postby bnes » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 am

You say Media Pro has been abandoned. Has there been official confirmation of this?

It's apparent it's been abandoned by PhaseOne's actions. The question is will PhaseOne have the profesional courtesy to discontinue the product? It's still for sale, despite it the abandonment.
Last edited by bnes on Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bnes

Next

Return to Media Pro and Media Pro SE