Catalog Folders not visible in Media Pro Reader

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Catalog Folders not visible in Media Pro Reader

Postby Selsi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 am

In Media Pro, when I inport images, catalog folders are automatically created, based on the origin. My files are located on various discs, DVD, Blu-Ray, Hard drives etc... in folders with descriptive names. The catalog folders give me a quick overview of what the catalog contains, and help me discover easily what I am interested in. They are essential.
However, when viewed in Media Pro Reader, those folders are no longer visible. The catalog is then one giant bin with thousands of files, not subdivided. This makes it a lot harder to find anything.
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there a way to see the folders in Media Pro Reader?

Thank you for your help,
Selsi
Selsi
Selsi

Re: Catalog Folders not visible in Media Pro Reader

Postby NNN634832494322586763 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. How did you solve it?

thank you
NNN634832494322586763

Postby Selsi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:59 am

I am glad I am not the only one concerned with this! I have not solved it yet. I now just sent the question to tech support. If they give me a solution, I will post it here.
Selsi
Selsi

Postby Selsi » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Here is the reply I received from tech support:
"I am sorry but the reader simply does not have this feature. The Reader is meant as a free software to provide clients for a brief and limited overview of the catalog. The only option available for identifying the parent folder of the files is to reference the Path field when looking at list mode."
Selsi
Selsi

Postby Selsi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:54 pm

My work-around is to create Catalog Sets to subdivide the giant catalog.
Those, as well as keywords, will be visible in Media Pro Reader.
But it is a lot of work!
Selsi
Selsi

Postby NN636595898474114643UL » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 pm

"I am sorry but the reader simply does not have this feature. The Reader is meant as a free software to provide clients for a brief and limited overview of the catalog. The only option available for identifying the parent folder of the files is to reference the Path field when looking at list mode."

This is an oversight and shortcoming of the READER and I can see no reason why this choice would have been made for the software. Our company organizes its images via a directory structure on the servers and not having access to the catalog structure makes using the READER useless.

Its not a case of finding the original its a case of being able to find and browse the images within a hierarchy of hundreds or thousands of images. Simply having a flat view of all images is not a feasible method, we need the catalog view in order for this READER to be at all usable.

I can not make a case that our company must buy the expensive master program in order to allow its use. We need to have the Catalog View accessible by the READER. This decision is limiting the adoption of MediaPro.
NN636595898474114643UL

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE