Why is browsing photo thumbnails set up this way?

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Why is browsing photo thumbnails set up this way?

Postby NNN636543525446692067 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:22 pm

I made several catalog sets but when I want to browse my photo collection using thumbnails, I have to double-click on the catalog set to view this collection of pictures. It seems that the first time I select that set, it highlights the set name in orange but does not view it. Instead I have to select it again (or double click) to see those specific pictures or I select the right column which has the number of pictures in that set which then signals an orange image inside the circle (sorry about the poor description here). I guess I'm confused why there are two things that are highlighted but only the pictures in the right column will show pictures under the thumbnails. What's the point of having both highlighted?

With all other media that I've used (Adobe Lightroom, ACDSee, etc.) I merely click on the catalog to the left and it highlights the name and displays that collection on the right with a single click.

I would attach a file that shows what I am talking about but I don't see a way to attach files to posts. Is there a way?
NNN636543525446692067

Re: Why is browsing photo thumbnails set up this way?

Postby Ian3 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:43 pm

I know what you are talking about. If you click the little circle to the right of the collection name, you see that collection with just a single click.

And to put a screenshot into this forum you have to host the photo somewhere (dropbox, Flickr, etc) then put its URL between Img tags.

Ian
Ian3

Postby syncrasy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:54 pm

What you are describing is not a design flaw. It's smart design because it allows for flexibility. For example, I might want to edit a Catalog Set's name or rearrange sets without disrupting my current view of thumbnails. As Ian said, all you need to do is click the little circle next to the name. It's a single click, which is what you wanted. But with Media Pro you have greater flexibility than with other programs. As you use Media Pro more, you'll begin to understand just how smartly designed it is (and to give credit where it's due, the design was done by the original iView team over a decade ago).
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, 10.11.6 El Capitan)
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2017)
syncrasy

Postby NNN636543525446692067 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:54 am

syncrasy wrote:What you are describing is not a design flaw. It's smart design because it allows for flexibility. For example, I might want to edit a Catalog Set's name or rearrange sets without disrupting my current view of thumbnails. As Ian said, all you need to do is click the little circle next to the name. It's a single click, which is what you wanted. But with Media Pro you have greater flexibility than with other programs. As you use Media Pro more, you'll begin to understand just how smartly designed it is (and to give credit where it's due, the design was done by the original iView team over a decade ago).

Well, I actually asked this same question to Customer Support at the same time of this post and they admitted that it was confusing to users to have it view media this way. They also said they would submit request for a possible change in future updates. So I don't understand what you mean by "you have greater flexibility." Perhaps you can show me by example how this is more convenient. I've previewed 8 different DAM programs and this is the only one set up this way.
NNN636543525446692067

Postby syncrasy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:26 am

I already provided you with examples of flexibility in my first response. Flexibility means allowing for more powerful, personalized ways of interacting with the UI. I suspect I'm not going to convince you with a detailed explanation since you are accustomed to using other programs, but here goes: The UI is specifically designed to have different levels of interaction depending on your cursor focus. You click a set's name once to highlight it, twice to edit the name -- all while not changing the current set of thumbnails. That's smart, complex, and flexible UI design. If you want to see the thumbnails, just click the little circle. That's what the circles are for, and they work the same way for all objects in the left panel (Catalog Sets, folders, tags, etc). Here's another illustration of flexibility: Say you're working on a set of thumbnails based on a Find action with a complex set of search terms, but you realize that you now need to edit the name of the Catalog Set you want to put some of the images in. You can edit the name of that set right now (before you forget) without losing your found thumbnails. That's user-friendly flexibility. You can't do that if clicking the set's name always shows the set's thumbnails.

But to each his own. I don't find it confusing at all. I find it logical, smart, complex, and flexible. I hope that Phase One does not change this design because of new users' lack of familiarity with the design. Really, just give it some time and I think you'll eventually see the brilliance of this design.
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (Mac OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, 10.11.6 El Capitan)
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2017)
syncrasy

Postby NNN636543525446692067 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:08 pm

Well, I appreciate your taking the time to explain your reasoning to why this is better. Guess I'll just have to play with it a bit more to see if I prefer this method like you do.
NNN636543525446692067

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE