Catalog Fields "Default" vocabulary

Discussions about Phase One Media Pro and Media Pro SE

Catalog Fields "Default" vocabulary

Postby photeinos » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:38 am

Can you help? I have wasted a huge amount of time on this! I want to use a single "Default" set of catalog fields in my different Catalogs. However the "Default" vocabulary mentioned in the Catalog Fields menu of the Organise Panel will not load in any Catalog.

My process has been this:

I click the "Configure List" menu in the top bar of the Organise Panel "Catalog Fields" and choose "Load Default"

Using Preferences /Vocabulary, I can see the "txt" files which appear in the folder Library/Application support/ Phase One Media Pro/Plug-ins/Vocabulary/Default, but none of these load (I have tried creating a new one to dee if that makes a difference).

I am using Mac OS Sierra on a Mac Pro.I have tried different approaches: I "saved" the catalogs, re-opened Media Pro, re-installed Media Pro - none of which had any effect.

I notice that "Configure List" is greyed out on the tab which opens. although Show/Hide Fields, Save As Default and Load Default are not greyed out. I am also wondering why any new txt file I create is not offered as an option in the drop down. Only Default ever appears.

I am also completely bamboozled by the fact that the txt files saved in the Library/... include many items that do not appear when I open a Catalog, when I view them in a re-opened Catalog.

Can you help?

file appears in: Library/Application support/ Phase One Media Pro/Plug-ins/Vocabulary/Default
photeinos

Re: Catalog Fields "Default" vocabulary

Postby RandyKepple » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:53 pm

I use custom terms/descriptions in the "Supplemental Categories". I don't think that are any values for the straight-out-of-the-box default vocabulary. My understanding is that you create the vocabulary and then save that as the default.

For example, I work for a book publisher of historic photography and we have two letter codes that we use in the "Supplemental Categories", along with a description of what each two letter code represents.

It works beautifully, once you populate the terms. In Preferences, choose Vocabulary Editor, as you stated and in the pull-down menu for "Field", I selected "Supplemental Categories".

Then, in the bottom of that window, you'll see the option to toggle on/off "Constrain editing to defined terms" and next to that is a plus/minus. When you click the plus symbol, another window opens up where you can add your custom vocabulary. Once this is save, you can save this set as a default.

I know your situation may be a bit different, but I'm confident the process is similar. What exactly are you wanting to do?

Frustrating that there is seemingly no one from the company monitoring these forums and offering help. Your post has been up for over a month now with no response from the company or other users!
RandyKepple

Postby syncrasy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:03 pm

photeinos wrote:Can you help? I have wasted a huge amount of time on this! I want to use a single "Default" set of catalog fields in my different Catalogs. However the "Default" vocabulary mentioned in the Catalog Fields menu of the Organise Panel will not load in any Catalog.

My process has been this:

I click the "Configure List" menu in the top bar of the Organise Panel "Catalog Fields" and choose "Load Default"

Using Preferences /Vocabulary, I can see the "txt" files which appear in the folder Library/Application support/ Phase One Media Pro/Plug-ins/Vocabulary/Default, but none of these load (I have tried creating a new one to dee if that makes a difference).

I am using Mac OS Sierra on a Mac Pro.I have tried different approaches: I "saved" the catalogs, re-opened Media Pro, re-installed Media Pro - none of which had any effect.

I notice that "Configure List" is greyed out on the tab which opens. although Show/Hide Fields, Save As Default and Load Default are not greyed out. I am also wondering why any new txt file I create is not offered as an option in the drop down. Only Default ever appears.

I am also completely bamboozled by the fact that the txt files saved in the Library/... include many items that do not appear when I open a Catalog, when I view them in a re-opened Catalog.

Can you help?

file appears in: Library/Application support/ Phase One Media Pro/Plug-ins/Vocabulary/Default

I might be wrong but I think you're confusing Default Catalog Fields with Default Vocabulary. The "Configure List" menu doesn't pertain to vocabulary terms; it controls which Catalog Fields are displayed.

In Preferences > Vocabulary Editor make sure you have added your desired vocabulary terms to the appropriate fields (e.g., add all your authors to the Author field). Select an image thumbnail, then in the Info panel double click in the Catalog Field (Author) and you should see a drop down menu of all the authors you added to your default Vocabulary list.
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (Mac OS 10.6.8, 10.11.6)
Software: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6 • Media Pro SE
syncrasy

Postby RobiWan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

Hi,

maybe I'm wrong but from your description - "Catalog Fields" have nothing with controlled vocabulary to do.
RobiWan

Postby photeinos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I had given up on receiving a reply, since I got no answers for the first week, so I did not check for an answer again until today. Sorry for being so impatient!

I will try the suggestions in your 3 answers and give you my feedback.

Thanks again,

Paul
photeinos

Postby photeinos » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 pm

OK, I have tried the solution,

1.Thanks for the clarification that I confused the "Default" function as relating to the Catalog Sets, as opposed to the vocabulary.

2. I have tried the solution offered by Randy, but I fell at the first hurdle, maybe because "Preferences" does not offer an option of "Supplemental Fields" in my dropdown. In Preferences/ Vocabulary Editor/ I see 18 fields, none of which is "Supplemental Fields". Is this a difference between a PC user and a MAC user (which I am)?. If this is so, is the functionality for this originally PC-designed software cut down when it comes to Mac users?

3. I am completely baffled by how this software "thinks". I am by no means an entry level Mac user and I cannot understand why Catalog Fields are populated by a very few of the items which I actually have added myself in my main Catalog, while the many othersI have added simply do not appear in any other Catalog. Other, automatically-populating, categories (such as Date Finder) populate thoroughly.

Note that if I click the top right menu item in Preferences/ Vocabulary Editor/ Finder opens with a "Default" folder containing a number of .txt files with multiple entries which I have created. I cannot get any of these to show in Catalog Fields or in Category Fields/ Categories, or anywhere else.

If Randy or anyone else can give me a MAC-specific process I would be enormously grateful.

Paul
photeinos

Postby RandyKepple » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Hey Paul... I'm on Mac. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, right? :)

https://ibb.co/io6ZZk

https://ibb.co/kxzSn5

Those "supplemental fields" were added by me for the organizational structure we use for photos.
RandyKepple

Postby photeinos » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks Randy,

Trying your solution now.

Paul
photeinos

Return to Media Pro / Media Pro SE