Strange "dust" specks in IQ250 files

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Strange "dust" specks in IQ250 files

Postby dennis_beyer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone experienced the same as I do currently with my IQ250. I clean the sensor glass wet very carefully. Still, there seems to be a "strip" , like 4 mm wide, consisting of dozens of tiny specks running from the top of the sensor vertically all the way down to the lower edge, right in the middle of the sensor. These specks are persistent, they can`t be removed by wet cleaning. I did not work in a dusty environment recently. I get the impression as if that speck strip were actually behind the sensor glass. Has anyone experienced the same with an IQ back, and are there any experiences on how expensive it is to have such an issue fixed by Phase One? These specks are ruining my images at the moment. Thank you kindly for your answers, regards, Dennis
dennis_beyer

Re: Strange "dust" specks in IQ250 files

Postby Ulf » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:01 am

Hi
The best way about this is to contact support.
Please make sure you include a RAW file as this helps a lot when it comes to analysis issues like this.
https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby dennis_beyer » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:31 pm

Thank you kindly. I will contact my local Phase One dealer, which is PROFOT Switzerland, where I also bought the back, and I will include an image depicting those specs. PROFOT already told me that the back will be most likely shipped to Denmark. Since the specs - or dust or whatever it is - seems to be actually BEHIND the sensor glass, the back must be opened in a clean-room environment, which can only be done at the Phase One facilities in Denmark. This is really bad news, as the back will probably be gone for weeks - meaning I go out of business during that time - and I guess fixing this is going to be horribly expensive. :(
dennis_beyer

Postby Ulf » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:53 am

HI
Dont think we should get a head of our self. Lets see what it is.
If you have a service contact for it then it will be covered by it and also you will have a loan unit during the repair time.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby dennis_beyer » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Loan unit? I need to check with PROFOT Switzerland - a loan unit which I have to pay for like a rental unit is no option, since the rental costs per day would eat up more than my daily rate / profit is. But you are right, I need to give them the back plus a sample image, and then PROFOT can ask Phase One how to proceed, and I can request a repair cost estimate.I have performed a fresh wet cleaning of the sensor glass today, but there are still several hundreds micro spots, most likely behind the glass, especially visible at slower f-stops. I will check with PROFOT this week. Thank you kindly for your help.
dennis_beyer

Postby Ulf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 pm

HI

What I should have explained better was that: If you have service contract, then a loan unit would be provided free of charge.
This all depends on warranty/service contract.
Warranty status, you can at least see online by registering your camera back.
Here is how to:
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article?articleid=1662&languageid=1
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby dennis_beyer » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Update: My back is in Denmark. Phase One claims I destroyed the sensor glass / filter sealing with compressed air, which is why there is so much dust behind the glass now. That is a nice example of denying any responsibility for a high-price product: I have never used any sort of compressed air when cleaning the back / sensor. I`m not richy rich, which means I care for my equipment and I`m extremely careful with it - I can`t afford expensive repairs or a replacement. So I always clean the sensor carefully in my studio and only with the items provided / recommended by Phase One - the swipes and the special fluid which came with the back, and an rubber air blower. But Phase One sticks with the compressed air story.
Well, I can`t do anything about it. I have realized and experienced over the years that photographers doing more "*censored word*" work get better service by Phase One than photographers doing more ordinary work like I do. The repair costs are around 1500€ which is a major amount of money for me, and I just hope that my dealer will agree to a deferred payment over the next months. I kind of wished that Phase One would have considered at least the minor possibility of a faulty sealing or a misalignment during production, and at least a slight movement in my direction. Instead they are 100% insisting on their story and me paying the entire amount without the slightest discount.
Well, there is absolutely nothing I can do about it, and of course they know that such a back is a vital piece of equipment for someone making a living with photography, so they can easily sit back and stick to their opinion.
I find that a bit frustrating and disappointing, and it`s not the first disappointment with Phase One service. My work seems not to be *censored word* enough. Unfortunately there is no alternative solution for me in reach, otherwhise that would have been the last Phase One disappointment for me. But still, this marks the end of my Phase One story. I will keep the back for now once it`s repaired (I need it for my technical view camera) but I will start selling the rest of my system instead of upgrading or expanding it, and I won`t recommend Phase One to my photography students (I`m a part time college tutor in the photography department with a college well known for their creative industry branch in Great Britain) and to other photographers. I have been a Phase One client for 10 years now, and I feel that service got not better over the years, but this could be just my personal impression. That incident now just makes me realize that the company is not interested in people like me, and I kind of dislike the idea of investing more hard earned money in a brand that treats me like that. They have every right to do so, but I don`t have to play along. Anyway, I wish to say thank you for the people here who tried to help me with the issue. That was very kind of you! Regards, Dennnis
dennis_beyer

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:15 am

Hi
All of this does not seem right.
Please contact us directly.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby dennis_beyer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:12 pm

I did just contact technical support Phase One, with case number 349707.
My back, IQ250 Ser.No. GT001246 is already in Denmark with Phase One as far as I know. It was sent there by PROFOT Switzerland.
dennis_beyer

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs