Force IQ4 150 to power from battery only?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Force IQ4 150 to power from battery only?

Postby mkphotomedia » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 am

I'm running a brand-spanking-new IQ4150 with latest firmware off my MacBook Pro 13" 2018 via USB-C, with the packaged USB-C M-M cable. Back seems to want to power itself on USB-C rather than its own battery, which causes two issues: 1) it runs down my MBP's internal battery screamingly quickly when tethered, and 2) macOS occasionally throws up a 'Please unplug the power-hungry USB device to regain USB connections' dialog box and my tether drops, which is annoying as I have to switch to another USB port to get everything back

Since this is my first field shoot with the IQ4150: is there a setting somewhere I'm missing (checked the Power Management options on the back, and not seeing anything obvious), or is this a "feature"? While I could probably switch to using the USB3-USBC cable to force the power requirements down, it would be great to be able to turn this off/on somewhere (as you could on the old P-series backs, which could take either FW power or could be forced onto battery), because sometimes running off external USB-C power is exactly what I want to do, and sometimes it isn't...largely depending on whether or not I have a big-ass USB-C power bank with me or not.

Anyone...or, time for a support case?
mkphotomedia
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs