Alpa 12 xy Technical cameras

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Alpa 12 xy Technical cameras

Postby NN109526UL2 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm

The Alpa does not allow for any swings or tilts of the lens board or the IQ4 Back board. Are such swing and tilt movements possible, at all, with the IQ4 Back? Could I put the IQ4 Back onto another "4x5 Large Format" film camera body? Are the IQ4 pixels able to record an image that has been shifted or tilted, by the camera system? I understand that a lot of the shift and tilt distortion controls can be replaced in post-production, however, I would like to increase or decrease my Depth of Field range, before post. Also, with the larger 4x5 film back area, the IQ4 can be moved around the thrown image circle much more than with the Alpa or technical cameras, for stitching or crops.

Finally, would the Alpa tech camera/lens record a sharper image, on the same IQ4 Back, that a IQ4 body and the equivalent lens could record? If it is the same IQ4 Back and an equivalent lens, what does the tech camera do to that image that would make it better than if it had been shot with the PhaseOne/IQ4 camera body and lens combination?

I have been in business for 45 years and used to shoot 8x10 and 4x5 sheet film all day long. I know large format cameras and lenses. But today's "Tech" cameras don't move or function at all like the ol' 4x5's.

Thanks,

Paul DeMers
NN109526UL2

Re: Alpa 12 xy Technical cameras

Postby Jon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi Paul,

The IQ4 150 has the best technical camera performance of any back we've ever released. Swings and tilts are certainly possible, you just need the right parts.

Alpa makes several swing/tilt adapters and of course other tech cam manufactures have similar products as well. Cambo for instance offers a small view camera (the Actus).

Your last question very much depends on the lens used and the situation it is used in.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs