Financing your MF Back

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Financing your MF Back

Postby michaelanthonyphotography » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:40 pm

Just curious for those of you who purchased a MF camera, specifically an expensive one like a P1 100mp, where you went to look for financing. I figure this is an asset purchase that will last my business 4-5 years, and I figure it would be best to finance rather than purchase outright to keep working capital available.

I was shocked that PhaseOne doesn't have a bank that they offer financing for on these cameras. The equipment leasing companies have ridiculous terms that require you to pay back their interest in full, even if you trade the cameras in.

Anyone have any advice for a first time buyer?
michaelanthonyphotography

Re: Financing your MF Back

Postby Paqart » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 pm

The only time I ever financed equipment (a bunch of broadcast video gear), it was a really bad idea. It was more expensive than it seemed, and then when I sold the gear, I had to first pay it off and then took a loss on the sale. That said, I think that some suppliers do offer financing. The one here in the Netherlands offered me financing when I first looked at the camera.

AP
Paqart

Postby TonySuber » Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 am

Marlin Bank had a 2-yr 0% interest lease offer when I got my Credo 50. I've seen a couple of ads for similar offers in the past couple of years but not common. Agree the terms are usually not pretty.
TonySuber

Postby NNN635521441231359476 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:23 am

Maybe not a direct answer to your question, but the way that I've aways dealt with that specific problem...

I try to stay as current as I can afford to with the systems and get in at a level that I can afford. I tend to stay about a generation behind and a step or two below the current megapixel maximum. This allows me to have a daily shooter that doesn't break the bank and keeps me comfortable working with the latest technology. That way, when I need 100MP or whatever the latest and greatest is, it's an easy rental and the client pays the rental fee. Going into debt for photography gear just never made any sense to me. This stuff gets devalued so quickly and the market for it is just too small.
Michel Schacht | Photographer | 312 Elements Headshot Photography
https://312elements.com
NNN635521441231359476

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs