IQ1 with possible technical camera

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

IQ1 with possible technical camera

Postby BrianKEdwards » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:55 pm

I have an IQ1 back and am thinking of purchasing a technical camera (e.g., Cambo Actus, etc.). I do a lot of shooting with tilt-shift lenses with my DSLRs, and have one shift lens for my Phase One DF camera. I want to make sure I understand what hardware I would need to use this back on such a camera. My understanding so far is that I would need the appropriate back-adapter to connect the back the camera and would also need the right cable release to sync the lens with the back. I already have a number of large format lenses (mostly with Copal mount 0) so I would also need right lens mount for the front of the camera. Are there any specific recommendations anyone can make on specific technical cameras? Thanks much in advance. Brian
BrianKEdwards

Re: IQ1 with possible technical camera

Postby BrianKEdwards » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:56 pm

After doing a little bit more research, I am finding answers to my questions.

Is there anyone out there that can share their experience with these sorts of cameras, both good, bad, and ugly.

Thanks,

Brian
BrianKEdwards

Postby ben_US » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi Brian,
Which IQ1 are you using? If you've got a CMOS-based back (IQ150), you'll get a live view with good refresh speed and good dynamic-range handling capability. With CCD-based backs (IQ 140, 160, 180), you'll still get usable live view, though the framerate is much slower and scenes with high dynamic range will be less than stellar, but definitely still usable. This is due to the design of CCDs. Just a thought before you go headlong into a viewfinder-less system.

As far as camera hardware goes, one thing to consider is the sync cable from the lens to the back. When operating in normal shutter latency, all our backs require a wake-up signal (to indicate to the back to return to a capture-ready state) and then a capture signal (to, well, capture). With the back in zero latency, there is no wake-up signal required but the back is constantly ready to capture light- this introduces extra heat into the equation and will generate extra noise in the image. I highly recommend going with normal latency as this will give the cleanest image, though it does require that wake-up signal. There are cables out there which send both signals with one physical push (Kapture Group comes to mind, though I'm sure there's more). Otherwise, you can use a Phase One wake-up cable which has a small button to send the wake-up signal prior to firing the shutter. Or, in a pinch, just fire the shutter twice- the signal is the same.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby BrianKEdwards » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Ben:

Thanks for getting back to me and I apologize for waiting so long to respond. I have 140 which would have the slower frame rate, etc. Interestingly, I noticed that when compared to the results from my Canon 5Ds, the 140 on a PhaseOne camera gave me quite a bit more shadow detail than the 5Ds, so I guess dynamic range can be relative. In any case, I was curious about the sync cable (evidently, the dual cable that you can get from DigitalBack.com is no longer available), so I was wondering which of the remaining options might be the best. In terms of specific technical cameras, I want to make sure I get one that gives me enough of the view camera movements (rise/fall, tilt if possible), so I am still looking and doing research.

Thanks again,

Brian
BrianKEdwards

Postby ben_US » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 pm

There are sync cables that are a single length of cable, typically coiled, with a button that allows the wakeup signal to be sent prior to the capture signal. I would suggest contacting a local Phase One partner (you can find one here: https://www.phaseone.com/en/about-us/partner-locator.aspx) who may be able to help source the single-shot cable you're looking for, or provide an alternative solution.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs