IQ250 Live view white balance

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

IQ250 Live view white balance

Postby studiobaccega » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:52 am

Hi everyone,

I just received my IQ250 and already put to test.
I would like to know if it's possible to change the live view white balance, to show a more faithful preview of the shot.
I've tried to use the color picker in Capture One 8 but I get an error message, that I cannot set the white balance with that camera/back combination.

Am I doing something wrong or isn't possible to set the WB in Live View mode?

Best regards
studiobaccega

Re: IQ250 Live view white balance

Postby Drew » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:49 am

With the CMOS chip based back we implement Auto White balance in Live View.
The White Balance will therefore always be created after evaluating the captured data.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby studiobaccega » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:01 am

It does auto white balance after the capture, in fact I can see the balanced image in capture one.
Is it possible to preview the correct white balance during the live view?
studiobaccega

Postby Drew » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:26 pm

studiobaccega wrote:Is it possible to preview the correct white balance during the live view?

Sorry for any confusion in my response, but White Balance when in Live View is done Automatically.
There is no option for Custom White Balance Adjustment in Live View. Live View image previews are white balanced automatically by the IQ250 itself.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby studiobaccega » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:04 am

When I open the live view on my digital back using the modeling light of the flash lamp I see all warm and yellowish light, it looks like daylight balanced using with tungsten lit scene.
studiobaccega

Postby studiobaccega » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:19 am

Do I assume that WB doesn't work with Live view?
studiobaccega

Postby LSdigi.com » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:58 am

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but it's a terrible idea to only allow automatic white balance detection. Today we are shooting people and still life in front of a green screen, and it looks absolutely AWFUL. Also every time we change the lighting even slightly it keeps attemptiong automatic WB detection which takes ages and never gets it quite right.

Please, please bring back eye dropper tool so I can set it myself from a grey card. What would be even nicer actually is a plugin (not just got live view) for ColorChecker Passport similar to that on Davinci Resolve? Just an idea...
LSdigi.com

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs